Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, :)

Yesterday I changed the Front Wheel Bearing of my truck. I took photos of the process for all to benefit from.

Photo 1:
Loosen the axle and the wheel nuts. Jack the truck up.

Photo 2:
Secure the rear wheel by placing the wheel locks behind and in front of it. Wheel locks come along with every truck.

Photo 3:
Remove the two bolts that hold the Brake assembly. Make sure that you start the engine every time you turn the steering wheel in order not to damage the steering rack assembly.

Photo 4 (2 photos):
Free the ABS sensor cable from all its mounting points and unplug it.

Photo 5:
Take the Brake Assembly off. Secure it in a way that protects the brake hose from damage.

Photo 6:
Hold the Brake Disc at the points shown and pull it out the hub. Careful not to touch the soft surface just to keep it clean and grease free.

Photo 7:
The bolts that hold the hub containing the bearing.

Photo 8A:
Remove the two bolts first. Then, turn the steering wheel all the way right to reach the third bolt. Make sure that you start the engine every time you turn the steering wheel in order not to damage the steering rack assembly.

Photo 8B:
The location of the third bolt that holds the hub. You can use closed end wrenches or sockets. I loosen and tighten with the first and remove with an automatic wrench. (The shoe has nothing to do with the process). :crackup:

Photo 9:
Place a nut on a wheel bolt and gently hammer it out. This is if you want to keep the bolts for future use as they get damaged easily especially when you don't remove them for a long period of time, like a year or more, or when your bad luck takes to a lousy craftsman who damages them for you.
By the way, using the truck with one of the nuts lost damages the wheel ring and causes lack of track control.

Photo 10:
Squeeze a regular screwdriver at the point shown with arrows and pull the bearing out. Installation is the reverse but don't forget to place the big O ring on the hub before installing it.

Photo 11:
To install a bolt back in the hub, make sure that you support the hub with a long socket to prevent bending it when you hammer the bolt in. It's clear in the photo. (You can use a hydraulic press if available)

Photo 12:
In order not to end up with lost bolts or nuts, or forgotten to return ones, I advise that you get yourselves a magnetic plate like the one shown here. it holds your bolts and nuts tight even if you work under the truck and you mount it on the chassis face down. Mine is Toptools brand. It's very cheap.
The other arrow shows where you should keep the wheel while working. This location prevents damage to the truck if the jack fails to hold it and in case it slips or falls.

That's all for now. It was a very easy thing to do.

Attachments

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
I haven't done it on this particular vehicle, but it sounds about right for the ones I have done...

Good job!

Mike

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Nice Write-up! I could've used this a year ago.. very helpful, THANKS!!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
107 Posts
Wheel Bearing

Very good write up!

I curious how long they last? I have 161,000 miles on mine and still good, however I know they don't last forever.

These Trucks are amazing! I have and no mechanical failures in my 7 yrs of ownership other than the fan clutch at 115k and a few leaky seals on the 4wd.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good write up!

I curious how long they last? I have 161,000 miles on mine and still good, however I know they don't last forever.

These Trucks are amazing! I have and no mechanical failures in my 7 yrs of ownership other than the fan clutch at 115k and a few leaky seals on the 4wd.
You have been really lucky. The wheel bearing I changed lasted for a year and a half. At least I know the reasons for that. 1st, It wasn't genuine. 2nd I let a mechanic do it. You should thank God for your truck.:hail:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
29 Posts
These Trucks are amazing
I've had to sink approx. $5000 into mine to keep it on the road and I'm just in the 90k's. No off-roading, no towing, no neglect, no abuse. This is my second one too. I traded out of the first at 35K, so count your blessings.

Getting back to the subject... I just replaced one of my front wheel bearings. It was a very easy job. I would venture to say anyone can successfully do this, at least on a 2wd. I bought a $63/free shipping bearing from ebay. As easy as it is to change, I don't mind if I have to do it again. I could do it 3 times for the price of a Timken from R.A. and 5 times for the price of OEM. I have a couple thousand miles and so far, so good.

1 question I have for you who have done it, is about the ABS sensor well. My original had grease in the cavity where the ABS sensor inserts. It was in all of the gear-teeth (sensor contact points) and seemed pretty heavy throughout the cavity. My new one was clean and had no grease. At first I thought that was the first sign of cheap, ebay construction-no grease. But since it is working well, I now think the grease in my original was not supposed to be there and was the result of the failed bearing.

Did anybody take note of this part of their's? Which way is it supposed to be? Grease or no grease?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
Nice write-up, the only thing that would make it even better is adding in what size sockets each of the bolts took, but very well done. I just put new wheel bearings on my 95 grand am this past weekend. They were 15 years old and original. Much quieter now.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
eeehabt, nice write up. This is pretty much the procedure.

Very good write up!

The right one went at about 83k, the left one exactly year later at about 98k.

Personally, I don't think TBs are "amazing". Its a nice truck when its running right. But every year I've owned it, I've had to stick $500-$1000 a year of non-maintenance costs. And that's doing most of my own work. If not for that, and the great info on this web site, I would have dumped this thing a long time ago. Now I have to keep it as I have a payment on the HHR.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tools Required??

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have an 03 Chev TB with 138K on it. The onlt real repair so far were the tie rods. Other than that, it has run like a top.

I have a bad front right wheel bearing so I figure that if one is bad, I will do both simce I will have all the tools assembled to execute the job.

What tools are required to change the bearing hub? I realize that I will need standard &/or metric open and box end wrenches, and sockets. However, how big is the socket in pic 1? 33MM, 35MM?

BTW, this is the best set of instructions I have seen so far...

THANKS!!

Tim

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have an 03 Chev TB with 138K on it. The onlt real repair so far were the tie rods. Other than that, it has run like a top.

I have a bad front right wheel bearing so I figure that if one is bad, I will do both simce I will have all the tools assembled to execute the job.

What tools are required to change the bearing hub? I realize that I will need standard &/or metric open and box end wrenches, and sockets. However, how big is the socket in pic 1? 33MM, 35MM?

BTW, this is the best set of instructions I have seen so far...

THANKS!!

Tim

Thank you for the nice words. The socket in Pic 1 is 35mm. Mostly you'll need 18mm closed-end wrench and 19mm socket for the wheel nuts and might be used for something else, I can't really remember now. I'll get back to you later when I've checked it out.:thx

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK,I checked the bolts and they are all 18mm. You need a high quality socket and a close-end wrench.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
564 Posts
I f the bearing is okay and the ABS comes on once in a while,can you clean the ABS sensor or just replace sensor THANKS

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1 Posts
OK,I checked the bolts and they are all 18mm. You need a high quality socket and a close-end wrench.
I am also thinking of doing this, my front right wheel bearing is making noise. Great instructions, wanted to confirm if the axle required grease before you put the new wheel hub on?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am also thinking of doing this, my front right wheel bearing is making noise. Great instructions, wanted to confirm if the axle required grease before you put the new wheel hub on?
Actually, no grease is required, but if you wipe it with a little, it won't harm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bearing change complete....

Thanks for your responses. I changed both front wheel bearings today. Took about three hours. First one was slow because I was being very cautious about what I was doing. Once I removed the three bolts securing the bearing hub, it slid out easily. The second one was a bit of a pain in that is seems it was quite stuck. But eventually it came loose.

Tool recomendation was very handy and all went well. Very easy job all in all. I main bolt holding everything in place is a 36MM and all others are 18MM as eeehabt stated.

I did find, however, that the right front tie rod is shot! I wonder how easy this is to replace.... Probably not as easy as the bearing!

Thanks Again!!:thx

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,009 Posts
1 question I have for you who have done it, is about the ABS sensor well. My original had grease in the cavity where the ABS sensor inserts. It was in all of the gear-teeth (sensor contact points) and seemed pretty heavy throughout the cavity. My new one was clean and had no grease. At first I thought that was the first sign of cheap, ebay construction-no grease. But since it is working well, I now think the grease in my original was not supposed to be there and was the result of the failed bearing.

Did anybody take note of this part of their's? Which way is it supposed to be? Grease or no grease?
I have not done this job, but it would seem to be that grease would be some sort of Dielectric grease. It keeps the contacts from getting water in them and corroding.

I may be wrong, but that is the only thing I could think of. This is different than regular grease.

Chris

1 - 20 of 274 Posts