Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a little problem. My 4x4 engages in 4Lo and 4Hi. But when it disengages I cant nget it to 2Hi it stays stuck in A4wd. I was told it was the Actuator. How do I change the actuator and where is it located?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
have a little problem. My 4x4 engages in 4Lo and 4Hi.
Do you hear the two distinctive motor noises when you go from 2HI to A4WD and only ONE noise when you go from A4WD to 4HI?
But when it disengages I cant nget it to 2Hi it stays stuck in A4wd.
How do you know this? By the lights on the mode selector switch? Please describe EXACTLY what the lights do - steady, blinking, dark? And exactly what mode transition is this happening in? 4HI to A4WD or A4WD to 2HI?
I was told it was the Actuator.
Not by me. ;) I would guess encoder motor a LONG time before the front axle actuator, but it all depends on the answers to my specific questions above.
How do I change the actuator...
You don't yet until we agree it's the problem. :undecided
and where is it located?
On the passenger side of the oil pan, near where the CV axle enters the splined disconnect unit. But lets not get ahead of ourselves....:D

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Answers

When I change from 2hi to A4WD I don't feel any distinctive noises. When I go from 4 Hi to 4Lo I do and Whe I switch from These two setting back to A4WD. I don't feel any difference when changing from 2HI to A4WD. Every now and then the light would go by itself from 2HI to A4WD by itself even though the switch is still in 2HI. I hope this answers the questions.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The switch going to A4WD on its own is most likely a flaky switch. They redesigned it since making yours, so you could swap it or just rotate it a few dozen times with the ignition off to clean off oxidation.

But you have much larger problems if you have no motor noises during the 2HI->A4WD mode change. You could have transfer case encoder motor problems as well as the front axle actuator. The transfer case itself could be jammed.

How many miles do you have, and was the transfer case fluid changed every 50K as required? When was the last time the level was checked?

I'm about to get on a plane to come home from a business trip to Manila, so I'll be out of touch for day. But plenty of other folks know the 4X4 system and can hep you out.

Are you an advanced DIY mechanic and want to dig into this system, even if it means swapping transfer cases? You might search a bit and read up on members here who have done that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.