Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

41 - 60 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
1 Posts
Relearn

First, I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to all the excellent posts and DIY topics here at trailvoy. :):):):)

I have R/R the CPAS and now have a code P0300. :(

Would this mean I need to have a relearn done since I have put in a new CPAS?

Nevermind-fixed problem-solution

TB disagreed with the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs (part#4482). Replaced with AC DELCO 41-103. Runs like a charm

Thanks again, this site has been a life saver. :thx:thx:thx

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Thank ya, Thank ya, Thank ya!!!

So Rodie gave me some homework, and I did it. I also took pictures and wanted to post a How-To writeup. To keep things simple (and keep my fingers from falling off) the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid will be shortened to the CPAS.

Tools Needed:
10 mm socket (to remove the bolt holding the CPAS in place)
3/8 in breaker bar (to release the belt tensioner to remove the belt)
1/2 in socket (to remove the bolts holding the power steering pump in place)
socket extension (to help in removal of the power steering pump bolts)
Air compressor and blow gun

Supplies Needed:
Carb cleaner spray (or any no-residue parts cleaner)
Paper towels (preferably lint free)

I started by unhooking the battery (just to be safe) and disconnecting the CPAS from the wiring harness.

I used my breaker bar to release the tensioner and remove the belt. (hint, its a great time to pull the belt out and inspect for cracks/fraying)

I then proceeded to remove the 3 bolts from the power steering pump. If you want to use the special tools to remove the pulley from the pump and then re -install the pulley when you are done more power to ya, but it is not necessary. The holes in the pulley are plenty big enough to get a socket in there to remove the bolts. (I used a 1/2 in socket even though I am pretty sure the bolts are metric but the 1/2 inch grabbed the bolts and held them while I was re-installing them.

Bolt 1

Bolt 2

I would post a picture of me removing Bolt 3 but a picture of the back of my head while I had my whole arm in the engine bay would be useless...

The CPAS. Dirty...

I let all the oil drain from it and then I sprayed it out with carb spray. I removed the o-ring before I cleaned it so the carb spray wouldn't eat it.
I then gave it a healthy dose of air from my compressor to evacuate all the remaining carb spray being careful not to blow directly on the screens.

I failed to photograph the clean CPAS but you can imagine...

Installation is the reverse of removal.
Urbanarkansas: I just posted some photos of some work I was able to do. I atttempted to remove the CPAS however I found out that I need to purchase more CRAFTMEN tools. Thank you for taking photos. Everyone should do the same when working on their TB's. This can help alot.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
42 Posts
Success!

I just completed this posting and finished my own CPAS swap in about 15-20mins. The only thing that I was confused on was the belt tensioner-I assumed from reading the post that it would screw lose or click lose, but I learned hands-on that the clockwise turning just swings it down which allowed me to remove the belt. After that it was easy breezy.

Warning when you loosen the screw for the CPAS get ready by placing some paper towels under it to catch the oil it will spill on your engine if your not prepared.

Oh and lastly the Steering Reserve doesn't just move out of the way. You have to push it towards your Airbox before you will be able to back the CPAS out of its cave.

Question: when I removed my old CPAS I noticed one of the screens was missing. I used a mirror to look into it's cave to see if I could find it, but it wasn't there. Do I need to worry about where it may be?

Thanks everyone...this site just saved me 144 bucks in parts and labor at Merchants. They wanted me to pay 214 for parts and labor, but I bought the part online for less than 70bucks and installed it myself in less than 20mins..

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Hi, I just finished cleaning my camshaft solenoid. I did it in 1 and 1/2 hours.
I wasnt sure if bolts needed torqued back up, so I just made sure they were
good and tight. I am no mechanic but UrbanArkansas did a great job on the write up and pictures I knew I could do it. Thanks also to all the guys who gave thier inputs as well. I like to save a buck when I can plus it was alot of
fun. Thanks

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Just Finished

Just cleaned my CPAS.Thanks for the write up. It was a great help. Crossing my fingers that SES light doesn't come back.:)

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
52 Posts
Had mine out in 15 minutes. I wasn't throwing any codes or anything, but I saw that the plug was full of oil. Cleaned it all up and its working fine, but does all the oil in it mean that its going bad?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
Part Number?????

Ok. I have been looking in vain for part numbers or suppliers for the Cam Phaser Actuator Solenoid (CPAS). I have used the search tool on here. Found several references to web sites and part numbers. All come up empty...no hits. One produced a match for a timing gear component. Also tried looking at Oreilly, Autozone, Advance, and several dealer sites. The terms Cam Phaser Actuator Solenoid, or various tweaks of that description all come up with nada. Please help, don't flame and tell me search. I have.

And please, don't ask why I am changing it. I need the part number not diagnostic help. Sorry, I have seen a few guys get flamed when asking for the part number.

I have spent quite a bit of time reading on here and troubleshooting. Based upon the diagnosis and visual condition of the CPAS (oil leaking at connector and very fouled center screen), I am going to change it and the cam position sensor. Also plan to clean the throttle body and short-change the just changed oil while I am at it.

Thank you in advance! :confused:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
Compnine.com has it listed:

Part# 421 in the diagram.

421 12602516 ST1(LL8) VALVE,CM/SHF POSN ACTR SOL $91.92

On other sites, it can also be listed as an "exhaust camshaft position actuator solenoid"
or some annoying variation thereof.

In my Helm manual, it's referred to as the "Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve".

As someone pointed out either earlier in this thread or in a parallel one, these are
also used in the Colorado's I5 engines.

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Registered
2002 chevy
30 Posts
photos of CPAS at 100,007 miles

Below are more photos for all to reference. I took my CPAS out due to oil leaking out the electrical connector. Followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread. Good write-up, Thanks!

It was good to know ahead that I had to look for 3 bolts on the power steering pump. That third, lower bolt was hard to see - did it by feel.

Photos were taken at 100,007 miles. Looks pretty clean inside! O-ring was in good shape. I cleaned it up and re-installed it. Once clean, it looked like others already posted earlier, so I didn't bother uploading. Will order a new CPAS soon to fix the slow leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 chevy
30 Posts
Is this a good idea? (CPAS connector orientation)

I re-installed a CPAS known to be leaking (post above). I thought it may make sense to turn it so that any oil that leaks out will not collect inside the up-turned connector (original orientation was connector at 11 o'clock).

As shown below, if oil continues to leak out, as expected, it should just run right out.

Still planning to order a new one, this is just temporary until it arrives in the mail.

Anyone know if the orientation is important for the portion of the CPAS inside the engine?

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 chevy
1 Posts
Camshaft Position Actuator solenoid removal.

The Only Thing i Need To Know is exactly how is the solenoid removed after all thses other items are removed?? Does it have a bolt holding it in place??:confused:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
One bolt, easily visible in post 51, on the flange visible in post 50, and in the exploded view in post 48. Did you miss these pics? :undecided

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
249 Posts
Thanks UA(op) and roadie, great write-ups! Ours was leaking externally and had a dtc1345 in history so I renewed it also changing oil/filter and cleaned the TBI today. I can safely say I've got everything done and up to date now!:D

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
319 Posts
this might sound silly but im having a hard time taking the adapter off:bonk:. whats the trick to it. doing the oil change so i wanted to check it.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
What do you mean? You have the single bolt out and the PS pump out of the way and the CPAS isn't coming out of its hole? It can be tight, and there's an O-ring involved.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
249 Posts
+1, I did use a flatblade screwdriver behind the hold-down plate to gently pry it out paste the whipped seal.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
52 Posts
this might sound silly but im having a hard time taking the adapter off:bonk:. whats the trick to it. doing the oil change so i wanted to check it.
What do you mean? You have the single bolt out and the PS pump out of the way and the CPAS isn't coming out of its hole? It can be tight, and there's an O-ring involved.
I think he is talking about the plug? If that's the case, you just have to remove the little plastic tab on the plug so it unlocks and you can unplug it. I think that's what he's talking about anyway...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
319 Posts
I think he is talking about the plug? If that's the case, you just have to remove the little plastic tab on the plug so it unlocks and you can unplug it. I think that's what he's talking about anyway...
i meant the two grey plastic clips. Do I need to remove the both to take the top black piece. One more question i see one screw for the CPAS why do we need to take the other two bolts.

41 - 60 of 389 Posts