Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

381 - 389 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
13 Posts
could this cause a problem?

So I just pulled my CPAS, and I noticed that the barrel looking half of it spins freely, but nothing else rotates with it. If you hold the sensor by the screen area, you can freely rotate the other half of the sensor. I do not think that the actual sensor part that goes in the engine moves, but I am wondering if possibly that would have any effect on the sensor, specifically my idling issue?? Does anyone else here have this issue with the rotating piece on their sensor?? HELP!!

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
@BW Rambler I have had an intermittent P0014 (Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance) code for quite some time now. So I'm interested in inspecting the CPAS

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
28 Posts
I've had a check engine light for a while now (2005 Envoy XL SLT 4.2L I6, 191,000 miles). It's been intermittent, but it's usually either P0480 and/or P0128. I need to replace some combination of the thermostat, temperature sensor, fan clutch, and/or wiring harness. The CEL comes and goes and the truck's been running fine, gas mileage fine, etc, so I haven't been too concerned. I drive it seldomly, especially in the winter (it's my boat tower in the summer). A few weeks ago, I noticed the CEL had been on steady for a while, and I just figured my coolant system issues had progressed such that they were not intermittent anymore.

I scanned the truck and to my surprise, I had P0014 (Camshaft timing over-advanced). I also had a code about Exhaust gas recirculation, but I didn't write it down. I reset the codes, and the P0014 came back basically right away, but the other one didn't come back. The truck was running fine. I came across this thread and ordered the CPAS (~$35 from Amazon, GM Part). The next day (before the part had arrived), I drove the truck and it stalled at a stop light about 3 miles from house, but then ran ok. After work, I had a hell of a time getting home (22 mile commute, engine stalling at stop lights). The CPAS came yesterday, and today, I went to put it in and had very little trouble, so thanks to this thread! (I had a little trouble getting the old one out, but I pried a little with a flat headed screwdriver and when it started to come, I put vice grips on the end and just pulled.)

I also decided to clean the throttle body since I haven't done it since I bought the truck in May of 2015, so it's been almost 2 years and 18,000 miles. It was kind of dirty, about like it was when I bought the truck. My larger concern was the amount of oil/water in the air intake, mostly in the plastic resonator on top of the engine before the throttle body. The small rubber hose that connects to the engine head was completely plugged with a frozen oil/water sludge. (It was 9F when I woke up this morning, the truck lives outdoors since it's the 3rd vehicle and I have a 2-car garage.) I cleaned everything out, and the truck runs like a million bucks again.

Ideas? Is any of this normal? Could my cooling system issues be related? I could probably post this elsewhere, since the CPAS part went flawlessly. My old CPAS was missing at least 1 screen and in pretty rough shape.

Thanks again to those who have contributed to this thread.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
28 Posts
Hmm, Seems I was a little premature in my declaration that the CPAS replacement was successful. My P0014 is back on. I've already reset it again and it's right back on again. I've read it could simply be the oil/sludge. I use valvoline maxlife 5W-30 (semisynthetic). I've got about 50% oil life left. Should I change it? Use full synthetic? How likely is it that my new CPAS was also defective? I've read that some others experienced this. This was a Delco from amazon. It was packaged well and had no cosmetic issues that would have indicated it had been damaged, although I realize that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Other ideas?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
35 Posts
Hmm, Seems I was a little premature in my declaration that the CPAS replacement was successful. My P0014 is back on. I've already reset it again and it's right back on again. I've read it could simply be the oil/sludge. I use valvoline maxlife 5W-30 (semisynthetic). I've got about 50% oil life left. Should I change it? Use full synthetic? How likely is it that my new CPAS was also defective? I've read that some others experienced this. This was a Delco from amazon. It was packaged well and had no cosmetic issues that would have indicated it had been damaged, although I realize that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Other ideas?
I changed mine out a couple weeks back since I was having the same issues as you. From my research, most people recommend changing the oil at the same time. Even though my oil was still pretty fresh, I did an oil change anyways. Figured for $!9 bucks it was worth the piece of mind.

Your oil selection is fine. The TB for me is a winter vehicle/camping rig, so I use pretty much whatever is on sale.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
28 Posts
I finally got around to an oil change last weekend. The CEL went off and hasn't been back, but I'm still cleaning white milky goo out of the oil cap and watching steam come out of the block when I take the oil cap off when the engine is warm. I hope warmer weather will help solve this one. I do drive it short distances some, but other times it gets more than warmed up and driven on the highway.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Just changed mine too. $70 Canadian. I was chasing a rough idle and this was the culprit. I can't believe it but it was. I cleaned the throttle body, changed the plugs, tested the coil packs and then finally tried this. Voila!

Thanks TrailVoy and all the above who pointed me in the right direction.

No codes ? Just rough idle ?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
12 Posts
sensor and actuator replaced

i know this is an old post, and i have read several peoples response = it is now 2018 - i bought my TB 11/16, 190k check engine lite on, codes said several things one was cam position sensor, i bought sensor and actuator off RockAuto, code came back, Autozone would clear it but came back, took it to a couple shops still came back, i have a friend with a 'snap-on' scanner, i found a camshaft/crankshaft position "re-learn" procedure --so even if you put in a new part you have to have computer find it is a new part

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
I guess I need to send my 02' envoy to school!

II have replaced both the solenoid and sensor... solenoid did not looks bad at all. However after about 8 trips it 0014 came back. I am hoping the "relearn" procedure puts this to bed!

381 - 389 of 389 Posts