Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
341 - 360 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
15 Posts
Can someone tell me where the cam position sensor is located on the engine of a 2004 Trailblazer? How hard is it to change. It cost $35 at Autozone. This is the part I'm told needs to be replaced.
Thanks,
Look at the pics on the first page of this thread.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
I plan on doing this job, this weekend.

Do you have to disconnect the hoses from the power steering pump or just unbolt it and drop it down?

FYI: Auto part stores have the actuator listed as a Variable Valve Timing Solenoid. I got one from Autozone for $61.99+ tax

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
4 Posts
New member here thought I should add some info. I had the idling rough and dieing when the air was on and at idle in traffic issue on my wife's Saab 97x. Tried cleaning the TB first, seemed to run better but still died with the air on in hot weather once in a while. Seems quite random. Read many posts here and on other forums / web and found the "Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid" seemed to be the culprit. Local store had the part and it was not a huge deal to put in, just like the OP. Mine looked very bad, solenoid was semi loose from the actuator, one screen was falling off, one was all clogged up. Replaced the part with a shiny new one, changed the oil to 5-30 Mobile 1 full synthetic and new oil filter. Seems to idle better. Will report back after wife does the hot with air conditioner on commute this week and see if it eliminated the idle and dieing issue.

Here is my old one, looks bad.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
0 Posts
Cpas

Thanks to the OP, as i used this thread for some instruction yesterday. Although, when i unplugged the electric connector there was a little bit of oil inside the connector of the solenoid itself.

So unfortunately i need a new one :ugh:. I found out the hard way that its a dealer only item, and they didnt even need one. I needed to get it out of my dads shop so i put the old one back in. The best price, at my dads cost was $129. Does anyone know of a better price?
Auto-Zone- "Engine Variable Timing Solenoid"- Dorman 917-010 - 61.99
Duralast TS1012 - 64.99
Napa- "Variable Valve Timing Solenoid" - Delphi DEMSL10064 - 91.99
Orielly- "Variable Timing Solenoid" - Dorman 917-010 - 64.99
Delphi SL10064 - 71.99
Advance- "Engine Variable Timing Solenoid" - Delphi SL10064 - 71.99
Dorman 917-010 - 64.99

·
Registered
19 Posts
I paid $52.04 for this part at my local Chevy dealer and now my 2003 LS L6 engine is getting better gas mileage too.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
16 Posts
OK, just to be sure before I order parts.
I have replaced the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CPS) with no change to symptoms. Is there more than one CPS on the engine?

By reading this thread and others it is suggested that I replace the CAMSHAFT POSITION ACTUATOR (CPAS). Apparently they fail a lot.

My parts source says this unit is also called a Variable Timing Solenoid. Is this the same part? I don't see the unit called a CPAS on line.

Is it necessary to loosen/remove the power steering pump for access to the CPAS? Or does it simply ease the procedure?

It looks like I have a project during my Thanksgiving break.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My parts source says this unit is also called a Variable Timing Solenoid. Is this the same part? I don't see the unit called a CPAS on line.
The Variable Timing Solenoid is the same part.

Is it necessary to loosen/remove the power steering pump for access to the CPAS? Or does it simply ease the procedure?
It will not come out unless the power steering pump is removed for clearance . You do no need to remove the hoses. Just loosen the pump mounting bolts and move it enough to get the solenoid out.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xl
2 Posts
Thanks, Everyone

Thank you all for your wisdom on this site. I have an 06 Envoy XL 4x4 with the I6. Great truck, but a pain sometimes to troubleshoot. I replaced the CPAS and she is running great. The pics and the tips are great. Thank you again.:thx

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
11 Posts
Thanks for well done write-up; very timely. The PO340 code just came up on my '02 Envoy and the cruise quit working. Parts are ordered for pick-up tomorrow. Thanks to you and all the forum contributors for lots of well used (on my part) info!

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
17 Posts
Going to perform this later on in the week. Found the part on Amazon for $27.55 with shipping so definitely not an expensive item to replace. I already did the TB cleaning and still have the rough idle so maybe this will fix it up. Vehicle is about 10 years old so it has to be about time to start replacing things right? :) http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-917-010-Variable-Timing-Solenoid/dp/B004AIIYTW

·
Registered
2005 isuzu ascender
319 Posts
Going to perform this later on in the week. Found the part on Amazon for $27.55 with shipping so definitely not an expensive item to replace. I already did the TB cleaning and still have the rough idle so maybe this will fix it up. Vehicle is about 10 years old so it has to be about time to start replacing things right? :) http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-917-010-Variable-Timing-Solenoid/dp/B004AIIYTW
If rough idle is only when stopped in drive and goes away in Park or neutral then it could be motor mounts FYI.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
I just got a genuine GM # 12615873 Camshaft Actuator Solenoid Valve for my '02 Trailblazer from a dealer. It has no screens. Dealer checked his stock and found no screens in other units.
I have seen internet pics with and without screens. What gives?

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3 Posts
Have a 2003 TB EXT...been a great car. Have emissions in Atlanta area so I got codes for Cam sensor and the thermostat...(failed open). While I was doing cam sensor I decided to look at the connector for the actuator solenoid...had oil in it..so I bought one and replaced it too. Did Cam sensor last evening and then drove the vehicle...ran better. Today I did the solenoid (less than an hour) and the thermostat...which is a pain to do, but take your time you can get through it. I took the battery out to ease access to the alternator/thermostat area....got it done, filled it up....and started...runs like dirt. Any suggestions? Reset the system? Figure I'll clean throttle body tomorrow but throwing a P0300 code now and missing pretty good at multiple RPM/Speeds. Is there anything that i need to do to reset the car after the solenoid is replaced??? Thanks in advance.

mgloveraero

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
450 Posts
You're on the right track. Throttle body needs cleaning, as disconnecting battery defaults to factory settings. The TB must come off as most of the gunk is on the back side. Lots of videos on here and youtube about this.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
17 Posts
Have a 2003 TB EXT...been a great car. Have emissions in Atlanta area so I got codes for Cam sensor and the thermostat...(failed open). While I was doing cam sensor I decided to look at the connector for the actuator solenoid...had oil in it..so I bought one and replaced it too. Did Cam sensor last evening and then drove the vehicle...ran better. Today I did the solenoid (less than an hour) and the thermostat...which is a pain to do, but take your time you can get through it. I took the battery out to ease access to the alternator/thermostat area....got it done, filled it up....and started...runs like dirt. Any suggestions? Reset the system? Figure I'll clean throttle body tomorrow but throwing a P0300 code now and missing pretty good at multiple RPM/Speeds. Is there anything that i need to do to reset the car after the solenoid is replaced??? Thanks in advance.

mgloveraero
Wow, just about the same thing happened here. I finally got around to doing the thermostat and the CPAS this afternoon and when I got everything together and started it up, it idled great for a total of 4 minutes. After I turned it off then back on again, it started almost dying out and throwing P0017 and P0106 errors. Any suggestions out there? As a FYI, it also has a PCM tune on it so not sure if that is causing any problems not that I swapped out the CPAS.

Jere

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
17 Posts
Just a quick follow up from above. Since the old CPAS looked to be in good shape I just pulled it out of the trash, gave it a really good cleaning, then swapped it back in. Envoy is running like a champ again! Not sure what would cause the new CPAS to make it run so poorly, but for now it is all good. Of course tomorrow morning when it is cold I'll know for sure if the poor idling is fixed.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
Cpas removal

Been reading on this site for days and can't find an answer so I thought I would post my question. 05 trailblazer I am trying to change the cpas I moved power steering pump, dropped belt and removed 10 mm bolt holding in sensor. I can't seem to remove the sensor, it is stuck! I have read and watched videos and everything I see shows it "popping" out with very little effort. I have pulled and pryed on the thing to avail , have put pb blaster on it, and still can't get the darn thing out. The top half of the sensor spins which is normal, but I can't get the thing to budge. Any ideas on how to get it out I am at a loss. :bonk:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Mine just pulled straight out, with minimal effort, once the single 10mm bolt was removed. The seal is effected by the O ring...possible it was jammed in at the factory with O ring out of place?

341 - 360 of 389 Posts