Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Rodie gave me some homework, and I did it. I also took pictures and wanted to post a How-To writeup. To keep things simple (and keep my fingers from falling off) the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid will be shortened to the CPAS.

Tools Needed:
10 mm socket (to remove the bolt holding the CPAS in place)
3/8 in breaker bar (to release the belt tensioner to remove the belt)
1/2 in socket (to remove the bolts holding the power steering pump in place)
socket extension (to help in removal of the power steering pump bolts)
Air compressor and blow gun

Supplies Needed:
Carb cleaner spray (or any no-residue parts cleaner)
Paper towels (preferably lint free)

I started by unhooking the battery (just to be safe) and disconnecting the CPAS from the wiring harness.

I used my breaker bar to release the tensioner and remove the belt. (hint, its a great time to pull the belt out and inspect for cracks/fraying)

I then proceeded to remove the 3 bolts from the power steering pump. If you want to use the special tools to remove the pulley from the pump and then re -install the pulley when you are done more power to ya, but it is not necessary. The holes in the pulley are plenty big enough to get a socket in there to remove the bolts. (I used a 1/2 in socket even though I am pretty sure the bolts are metric but the 1/2 inch grabbed the bolts and held them while I was re-installing them.

Bolt 1

Bolt 2

I would post a picture of me removing Bolt 3 but a picture of the back of my head while I had my whole arm in the engine bay would be useless...

The CPAS. Dirty...

I let all the oil drain from it and then I sprayed it out with carb spray. I removed the o-ring before I cleaned it so the carb spray wouldn't eat it.
I then gave it a healthy dose of air from my compressor to evacuate all the remaining carb spray being careful not to blow directly on the screens.

I failed to photograph the clean CPAS but you can imagine...

Installation is the reverse of removal.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Nice writeup and pics.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I won't be afraid to do this again now that I know how simple it is. Side note: My iphone now smells like engine oil. I used it to take the pictures and it now has greasy fingerprints all over it...

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
361 Posts
Good writeup. Might have to be one of my next maintenance projects.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
18 Posts
Very good write up. I'm going to print this and maintenance mine soon before the check soon light comes on.:thx

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems like there have been alot of threads started about this lately so to help every one out... BUMP.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
49 Posts
Hey once again you guys are great!

THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONCE AND THE HELP IT WAS A BREEZ!!!!!

DAMM GREAT SITE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thx

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
Thanks for the write up as I have been contemplating replacing mine. I wasn't sure what all was involved with the power steering pump and have not taken time to sit down and crack out the repair manual. Thanks again!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Exhaust Cam Position Actuator Solenoid Valve

The part # 12602516 for the Exhaust cam position actuator solenoid valve! I shopped it at dearlers (dearler only item) and paid with tax $98.00. If you go on line to Parts4chevy.com its $75.00 and there in arizonia I did not want to wait 4days for shiping.

Very easy Job.Remove air cleaner cover .... remove serpentine belt (good time to check belt) ....undo three bolts to steering pump (socket fits right thru holes in pully) ....remove bolt to actuator..slide out.

took me 15-20min to r/r

All this Great help came from other members here!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Guys!:thx

Made a huge dif! in performance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For those who don't know (me) .... what are the symptoms that lead to this maintenece?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
After a dirty throttle body or bad plugs, this seems to be the third most common cause of erratic idle. Sometimes you get a SES light, and when you read the codes, you get one that implicates the unit, but not always. Sometimes people change the unit because it leaks oil and doesn't show any other symptoms. Or they take it out for inspection and discover a missing metal mesh screen or two.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your request

Its not a Crankshaft Position actuator solenoid valve! Its a Cam Position Actuator solenoid valve......no maintance that I know of.....its either good or bad.... There are to my knoledge two sensors one for cam and one for crank...Then theres the Secondary Air solenoid that gets filled with water as in the air pump in that system. You can disconect the lines to the air pump and drain water out to help prevent both of them from freexing up.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Correction

If there is a Crankshaft PAS valve too I am unaware of it .....I thought it was Cam PAS Valve

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
67 Posts
Cleaning mines tomorrow.

i saw mine had oil on it can that cause any problems to the engine? im gonna follow the instructions here and clean it tomorrow morning. since i have my SES light on showing code P2101 P0141 P0401 Still trnna figure out the problem with these if some one would give me any advice i would appreciate it but im gonna do some cleaning tomorrow before my truck gets more problems.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
24 Posts
Thanks to the OP, as i used this thread for some instruction yesterday. Although, when i unplugged the electric connector there was a little bit of oil inside the connector of the solenoid itself.

So unfortunately i need a new one :ugh:. I found out the hard way that its a dealer only item, and they didnt even need one. I needed to get it out of my dads shop so i put the old one back in. The best price, at my dads cost was $129. Does anyone know of a better price?

·
Registered
226 Posts
stupid question, I'm sure, but what's with ALL that metal on the screens? Scary lol, mine doesn't leak at the connector or around it and the truck idles well, but should I take it out and clean it for PM?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
58 Posts
Sorry if I missed it when I scanned the thread, but is it normal/acceptable for your CPAS to have oil pooled INSIDE the connector?

Both the connector to the wiring harness and the CPAS female portion were filled/soaked.

EDIT: Finally used my noggin, and remembered our Colorado has the same engine minus a cylinder.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/view...sid=c09bfbe292f728f7194e542a8a34e539&start=25

If there is a screen missing, or oil in the connector, replace it.

1 - 20 of 389 Posts