Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/198989
Off-road enthusiasts charged over damage to forest areas
By Laurence Hammack
981-3239
National forest officials have brought charges against 39 off-road enthusiasts who like to gun, spin and slog their four-wheel-drive vehicles through woods and meadows.

The practice, known as "mud-bogging," has caused about $30,000 worth of damage to a section of the Jefferson National Forest in Botetourt and Craig counties, said Woody Lipps, law enforcement patrol captain for the forest service.

Most of the people charged in recent weeks were given summonses to appear in federal court on charges of driving their vehicles off a designated road and damaging government property or resources.

Other charges include drunken driving and underage possession of alcohol.
Mud-boggers apparently revel in spinning their tires to throw around as much mud as they can, causing particular damage to open areas that forest officials have cultivated to foster wildlife.

"This has taken years to accomplish," Lipps said of the affected areas. "And now it's a mudhole where we have to start over."
Mud-boggers usually drive traditional sport utility vehicles or souped-up pickup trucks with oversized tires.

Most of the offenders have been four-wheeling at night and on weekends on Patterson Creek Road, which runs along Caldwell Mountain in Botetourt and Craig counties.

Forest officials have closed a 6.5-mile stretch of Patterson Creek Road, which is accessible from Virginia 606, indefinitely.

Until recently, vehicles had been permitted on the road. But much of the mud-bogging damage has happened when the offenders decide to leave the road and take their vehicles on cross-country routes.

While some of the cases will be handled in state court, most of the offenders will be required to appear in U.S. District Court in Roanoke, where they will likely face fines.

"We are committed to stopping this abuse of the national forest, and we intend to make those convicted pay to repair the damage," said John Price, a forest service law enforcement officer.
What makes me mad is that they are referred to as "off road enthusiasts". No... they are kids that don't know what they are doing. While I totally agree with prosecuting the offenders, I... as an off road enthusiast, feel no link to them at all. They are our worst enemy because they provide reason for trail closures... so because these neanderthals wanted to get their kicks and not follow TL guidelines, they end up closing another trail.

This is just one example that showed up in my local 4x4 club mailing list. This inappropriate behavior happens all across the US though.

So please... stay on the trails so that our trails stay open. :worried:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
I agree, and one of the first things that true off-road enthusiasts ought do is join groups like the Blue Ribbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Association, and Tread Lightly AND participate with a local club that pays membership dues to these organizations.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

http://www.ufwda.org/

The United Christain Off-Road Alliance (www.ucora.org) which I helped co-found, is a participating member in these and other off-road agencies that help to keep our trails open, and work to foster attitudes and actions that will preserve our ability to enjoy off-road recreation vehicles into the future.

Does TrailVoy participate or otherwise pay dues to these organizations? If not, why not? We have an off-road presence, and even the highway people ought to understand that if off-road use of vehicles is eliminated we ALL loose.

Quoted below from UFWDA is a bill that has now passed Congress and is on the way to the President's desk for signing.

Category: ALERT!
Date: Mar 17 2009

Update: Battlefield Acquisition Bill H.R. 146 Moving Forward as Vehicle for Omnibus Public Lands Act of 2009

Date: March 17, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT GERALDINE GRADY – 804-381-1153

Washington, D.C. March 17, 2009 – Last night the Senate voted 73-21 to support a cloture motion, or a way to bypass some of the procedural processes to fast track H.R. 146 to a vote and prevent a filibuster.

H.R. 146 (Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 Battlefield Protection Act) is a bill to establish a battlefield acquisition grant program for the acquisition and protection of nationally significant battlefields and associated sites of the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, and for other purposes.

The Senate resumed consideration of the motion this afternoon. Call your Senator immediately to voice your opposition. Find your representatives contact information by visiting http://www.votesmart.org and inserting your zip code.

As a reminder, the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 is a collection of roughly 160 public land bills that were reported from the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources. The legislation designates about 2 million acres in nine states as wilderness, in addition to scenic rivers, historic sites and expansions of national parks. It provides the government's highest level of protection on land such as:

• 517,000 acres of wilderness in Idaho’s Owyhee-Bruneau Canyonlands
• 256,000 acres of wilderness in Washington County, Utah, including in Zion National Park
• Almost 250,0000 wilderness acres in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado
• 128,000 acres of wilderness around Mt. Hood in Oregon
• 53,000 acres of wilderness in Jefferson National Forest in Virginia
The omnibus bill details can be seen here:

Category: ALERT!
Date: Mar 11 2009

Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 Fails.

In a House vote today of 282-144, S.22: Omnbibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, which would have greatly expanded public wilderness areas, parks and miles and miles of public trails, failed to achieve the 2/3 majority needed to pass.

To find out how your Congressman voted, visit govtrack.us.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-117

This is in the first 50 days of a new administration in Washington. More to come, they promise...

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,147 Posts
While I am not an avid off-roader, I do like to off-road once and a while and find what they did offensive. It's outright destruction of property. If they did that on my property, they might find themselves facing multiple guns.

Besides, if any of this were to happen on my families or our neighbors' land, they would have higher penalties as our land is protected land. No developments allowed and the land must stay pastureland/forests.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
What makes me mad is that they are referred to as "off road enthusiasts". No... they are kids that don't know what they are doing. While I totally agree with prosecuting the offenders, I... as an off road enthusiast, feel no link to them at all. They are our worst enemy because they provide reason for trail closures... so because these neanderthals wanted to get their kicks and not follow TL guidelines, they end up closing another trail.

This is just one example that showed up in my local 4x4 club mailing list. This inappropriate behavior happens all across the US though.

So please... stay on the trails so that our trails stay open. :worried:
:iagree: Its people like this that give the ones of us that take the time to know the info about the the rules, pay attention to the weather and make good decisions about how we four heel and what kind of impact it will have, a bad name! :hissy:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,667 Posts
I met a few kids who do this through this girl I was hanging out with a while back. One of them drove a lifted F150, had huge tires a loud exhaust and wouldn't be seen anywhere without some kind of mossy oak camo clothing. And yep, that's what they do; get a bunch of alcohol, go out into fields/ trails and "mud bog" as they called it.

I could see how this behavior is not only dangerous, foolish and inconsiderate, but also a burden to the true enthusiast.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Not to get totally down on the mud bogging sector of our hobby... There is room in the off-roading tent for ALL sorts of different ventures.

Just PICK THE RIGHT PLACE and the RIGHT WAY and have at it.

The "right place" is not some hollow in someone else's woods! The "right way" is not to do unsafe, drunken, idiotic, property-destroying stuff.

I wheel in areas that provide mud and water more than anyone wants to handle -- and it is dedicated to pure off-road activity, sanctioned as such, and patrolled with some semblence of rules and regulations for safety, wild behavior, etc. Want to get in up to the windshield? There are places to do that -- have at it. Want rock that will pucker you up to the point where you don't have to wipe for a week? Lots of places for that also. Like fire lanes and 2 track roads? Half of America qualifies...

But don't do that stuff on some piece of public land, where all you do is give all the rest of us a bad name. :bonk:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
i agree theres a time and a place, enough said... some areas are meant for mud bogging and others for trail rides, treat them accordingly

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,401 Posts
In my eyes I see mud bogging as something that should be done on private land. If it's your land heck tear the ground up along with your truck. But please.. Don't ruin it for us who are responsible and TL. I know people who offroad illegally, heck I've done it too.. But I still try to disturb the land as little as possible. Now I'm offroading in national forests where its legal. I really do not see a need to go tearing up someone's property to have a good time. :m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, and one of the first things that true off-road enthusiasts ought do is join groups like the Blue Ribbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Association, and Tread Lightly AND participate with a local club that pays membership dues to these organizations.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

http://www.ufwda.org/
My 4WD group is a member of the MAFWDA (http://www.mafwda.org/), which is in turn a member of the UFWDA. I agree that is a great group that needs more attention from us as off-roaders.

Quoted below from UFWDA is a bill that has now passed Congress and is on the way to the President's desk for signing.

The omnibus bill details can be seen here:
I had posted up a thread in Feb about this same bill. http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=51992

It seems they are being persistent about the Bill. The senate at least added in the following clause:
Nothing in this title shall be construed as affecting access for recreational activities otherwise allowed by law or regulation, including hunting, fishing, or trapping.
But note that it does not include a clause about motorized recreation. Lets hope the trails are protected for hunter access at least. If you are concerned, write to your Representative. I did. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts