Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the group and glad I found it!

I have a chance to purchase a 2002 Bravada with 140k on it. It is in really nice shape. My question is, if it has been generally cared for, how long do these engines run? Will I hit 200K, 250K? I always use synthetic, but I don't what it has had up to now. Should I switch to synthetic? What typical problems, troublespots, should I expect at 140K?

FYI in my purchase search:
I am down to
-this Bravada with 140K miles for around $5K
-06 Rainier I6 35K miles around $18K
-05 Envoy I6 40K miles around $15K

Fighting with buying low and avoiding the car payments, but risking more repairs, or having a newer, lower miles model, but more of a car payment.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
101 Posts
IIRC, the folks at GM ran a few of these engines at WOT for the equivalent of 300,000 miles with no failures, and they were still running fine. Obviously, that will vary considering how the hardware is treated, but it is a morale boost, if nothing else.

In fact, that seems to suggest that the 4.2 would be a decent candidate for an aviation conversion, or maybe one of the shorter versions anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think there are a few factors that come into play here...

1. Can you afford to have your vehicle "down" for repairs if you buy the higher mileage (riskier) vehicle?

2. Is it easier for you to budget a payment, or hold onto cash in reserve for repairs? Most people can budget better.

3. Can you perform repairs, as required, to save yourself cash?

I think your answer to these questions will allow you to answer your own question, because even if these vehicles are really reliable, that doesn't mean that something won't go wrong with your higher mileage one.

The wife and I just purchased a new car for her and kept her old car for me to commute in. This allowed me to have my jeep down for minor, or major, repairs that I typically do myself. This was a big win-win for us since I can take my time and do the work right without being rushed and without worrying about paying shop rates, even if it means that I have to learn some new things as I go.

On a side note: An '02 with that many miles leads me to think that it hasn't spent a lot of time sitting around in a shop waiting for service, so a lot of things that might have gone wrong, either did and were fixed promptly, or just never did.

Example again...my new commuter is an '04 Chrysler Sebring. Everyone I talk to says that these vehicles suck, but we've had it since late '04 (used) and it has never skipped a beat! My point is; reliability stats are just that...stats.

Good luck with your decision :undecided

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
There are a bunch of guys with 200k+ on their I6s and have only had minor repairs needed (fan clutch most notably). I have 112,xxx on my 02 I6 and have been tuned since ~55k, only had a power steering pump go out (my own fault), and all the routine maintenance.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Welcome! :tiphat

My '05 has 102K+ and runs great. The only real problem I had was with the fan clutch. More specifically, the wiring in the fan clutch assembly. Unfortunately, due to poor diagnosis by the dealer's repair shop, my head has been replaced unnecessarily. There is a post about it if your interested. http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=63449. I get all the required maintenance and fluid changes done when due, but I don't baby the TB. My daily drive is over 110 miles in the Middle East desert. I also take it in the sand dunes on occasion.

There are a lot of great folks here with a wealth of knowledge and experience just waiting to share it. :grouphug: We all look forward to your contributions as well.

It’s easy to find answers to your questions. The Search Engine is accessible from several locations. Just look for the word “Search” and click on it. A box will open where you will enter your search criteria. “Search” is you friend. Know it. Use it. Love it! :thumbsup:

Have you checked out the Site Rules yet? The site rules can be found under the Resources drop-down menu at the top of any TrailVoy page. A link follows this paragraph. Site Rules provide guidelines for being a responsible participant in the TrailVoy community. :yes: I'm sure you will enjoy this site and it will serve you and your TV for a long time to come. :)
http://forums.trailvoy.com/view.php?pg=rules

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
151 Posts
I think there are a few factors that come into play here...

On a side note: An '02 with that many miles leads me to think that it hasn't spent a lot of time sitting around in a shop waiting for service, so a lot of things that might have gone wrong, either did and were fixed promptly, or just never did.

Good luck with your decision :undecided
Another way to look at this information is that the envoy has not been sitting for very long. A car that has been driven on the highway with high miles is much more appealing to me than a car that has few city miles. Stop and go driving is incredibly hard on a car. Driving short distances is really hard on things too.

I bought a truck with 135,000 miles (GMC with a 350) 13 years ago and it is still running strong. All it has ever needed was oil, brakes, and tires. Just one of many examples i am sure others could provide as well.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Another thought.
The (06 Rainier I6 35K miles around $18K) depending on when originally purchased may still be under the factory warranty. If it is, then you could opt for a GMPP extended warranty (more $$ but peace of mind).

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Assuming the engine in the Bravada is currently in very good shape, I'd be more concerned about the health of the transmission.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3 Posts
Engine Life still good

I have a 4.2l Envoy with 210,000 on it. Still runs good. Have to do regular maintance etc....

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
32 Posts
I don't know if you have made a decision. I know this post is a couple months old. I have an 02 TB with 189,000. It runs great. I had to replace the fan clutch, thermostat and Cat. besides that I expect to get well over 300,000 miles out of it.:m2::m2:

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
988 Posts
I don't know if you have made a decision. I know this post is a couple months old. I have an 02 TB with 189,000. It runs great. I had to replace the fan clutch, thermostat and Cat. besides that I expect to get well over 300,000 miles out of it.:m2::m2:
Couple of months ??? Thread was started in 2009 !

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
117 Posts
I've done the same repairs as Viper, we are at 231 k and the engine is strong, no oil use, maintenance is the key. Oil cahnge every 3-4k, oil is cheap, engines are not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 05 trialblazer ls with the 4.2 I'm about to it 250k in about 800 miles running like a champ nothing wrong with her just Jake care of it and it will take care of you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts