Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the ignition switch on my 05 trailblazer the other night at 2:30 am in my wifes work parking lot. Not to hard its pretty easy.

1) Disconnect the negative side of battery( the black one)

2) Remove the knee panel and computer hook up panel under steering wheel. Its a total of six screws. You have to remove the two screws on the computer hook up panel(2 screws) to get to the lower two screws of the knee panel(4 screws).

3) Remove the panels around the steering column. First firmly grasp the tilt wheel lever and pull it directly out it should just pop out. Then get two little screw drives and seperate the to steering column panels you will have to push the panel forward towards the engine to get it out from the back of the steering wheel. I only needed to take the bottom off.

4) Now you will have the base of the switch exposed and it has a rectangle plug with 8 or so wires directly under where you insert your key. If you look right under there, there will be to white spring loaded keys tabs the hold the switch in the metal frame of the steering column. Use two little screwdrives to depress those tabs and grab the base of the switch and pull it downward.

5) With the switch pulled out now disconnect electrical connector and replace it with the new one and reverse the removal process to put everything back to get.

This is how i replace my ign switch and 2:30 in 15 degree weather in alaska, so its not that bad dont pay a dealer ship to do this it is way to easy to waist $. This is how i did it on my 2005 trailblazer 4.2 ls. I dont know if other years are different. So, if you do it from how i said above and mess it up i take no responsability. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, I fugured i would write up how i changed my switch because all the other ways i had seen said that you had to pull the tumlers and disco a couple other connectors.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
34 Posts
Many thanks to all who contributed to me changing my ignition switch......all this info was VERY HELPFUL...thx again!!!:)

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
very nice write up. I wonder what the labor hours would have been for a dealer or repair shop to do this same job?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,461 Posts
Would it be possible to get your write up in the article section :undecided

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
I have an '03 TB and am on the fourth ignition switch. They seem to last about a year so I'm expecting it to have it fail somtime soon. Last time, the dealer tried charging me $260. After I told them it was the fourth failure, they cut it in half. Last time - I'm going to do it myself from now on thanks to this procedure.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
I have an '03 TB and am on the fourth ignition switch. They seem to last about a year so I'm expecting it to have it fail somtime soon. Last time, the dealer tried charging me $260. After I told them it was the fourth failure, they cut it in half. Last time - I'm going to do it myself from now on thanks to this procedure.
:eek: On the fourth ignition switch? Do you have extra keys and stuff on your keyring? The extra weight may be killing your switches. :undecided

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
Nothing out of the ordinary. Put it this way, the same set of keys isn't causing my Honda any problems! The last switch has been in there for longer than all the rest. Maybe GM has the problems corrected.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...Do you have extra keys and stuff on your keyring? The extra weight may be killing your switches.
On the trailvoy, the mechanical key section of the switch is totally separate from the electrical section. Makes for a much cheaper repair, since they don't interact except through a plastic gear. So the key weight issue isn't a cause of our problems. Just the evil GM design team did this to us.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks to the people that have posted in an ignition switch thread.

My mom bought an ’05 Trailblazer about a year ago. Not long after she bought it, it wouldn’t start one day. Dealership replaced the ign switch free under GM certified used car warranty. A couple months ago, truck had ses/cel and reduced power because the throttle body was dirty. A couple weeks ago the cel came on because of the air pump, I haven’t fixed it yet as I’m thinking about just deleting the code from the computer. A few days ago the truck wouldn’t start. Key on seems normal sometimes, gauges acting crazy other times. Nothing happens when you try to start it. Service Brake System message, brake lights come on with pedal, but the shift lock doesn’t work with pedal, though I’m not actually sure if it should in a key on engine off situation. I unplug abs unit, service brake system message goes away, but truck still won’t start. Test the starter by running hot to starter solenoid, starter spins but does not kick out. Run hot to purple wire on solenoid, engine turns over, doesn’t start, but I don’t know if the truck would have fuel or spark in this condition. Something (chipmunk I think, I’ve shot 8 or 10 and caught 1 in a rat trap, but there are a bunch still around) has been tearing up the insulation under the hood so a wiring problem makes the most sense to me, but I don’t see any chewed up wires anywhere. I read quite a few threads here and see how common it is that the ignition switch goes bad, and that it is easy and cheap to replace, and start to reconsider that since its less then a year old it should be good. Find a thread on how a guy opened one up and cleaned it. Take it out, open it up and look at it, it doesn’t look that bad, I can’t imagine that it’s the problem but I clean it up anyway, and put it back in. Figure out that I didn’t have the gear in the same place it was when I took it out, take it back out, move the gear, repeat, repeat, repeat, finally get it right. Try to start the truck, get starter/solenoid click that I didn’t have before. Realize the dome light has been on a long time, and the head lights have been on for a while too, jump it and it starts. No service brake system message, no cel. Trying to decide if I should replace it, or just clean it up real good and put some electric grease on it.

Sorry for the long post, I just felt like sharing and saying thanks.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
Thanks a million for the write up, the procedure was a cinch. Sure beats having to pull the airbag and steering wheel on my old Volkswagen!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
47 Posts
one question your saying i just pull on my tilt wheel lever and it will just pop out? Like how hard? ya know i dont wanna trash my sweet tblazer.; But i do gotta get into my steering column and am having trouble getting the shroud off anyone wanna hook me up with a lil in depth direction??:bonk:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
9 Posts
Great howto. Kinda sad that it takes longer to change our head lights than it takes to change the ignition switch.

That wire harness whooped my butt though. I could do nothing with the tab on the harness, and ended up breaking it off while I was struggling to get it off. No matter how far down I pushed that tab, it was still just high enough to keep the harness fro releasing.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
13 Posts
Thanks for the guide as i had to change mine today, The only thing that was a pain was pulling the connecter out of the harness. i used my wifes flathead screwdriver for her glasses and put it straight up between the tab sticking up on the harness and the connector and pried the tab down as i wiggled the connecter free, it was very easy that way~~ Another thing my dad told me to check when you replace them. To see if the ignition switch is the problem is to plug the new one in without putting it back in the metal housing, connect the battery and turn the plastic gears all the way to the other side as if your trying to start it. you will feel the spring against the gear like you do when you turn to crank it, push it all the way till it stops turning (i used my thumb) your engine should attempt to crank. if it doesnt then it is not the ignition switch. (I bought a new one today and the starter went up so when i tried that it didnt work, once i got the starter in i tried again and it tried to crank)

~Make sure you turn it all the way back to the start before you put it in the metal housing to connect it to you keyhole!

:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts