Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I marked the adjuster when I took it out.
I need to know if there is a procedure for setting it?
I had to replace the bearing cup.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Question about the front carrier bearing

It's pressed on correct?
The only way to replace it is to drop the Front Diff?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Picture of bad bearing cup Front Diff.

This is from the drivers side.
Inspected the bearing and it looked OK , not an easy thing to do.
When moving it by hand it was smooth. Since I can't get the carrier bearing out, I replaced the cup bearing.
Was cheap, $11.00 for entire bearing set from local auto parts store.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 chevy
30 Posts
Question for steveO: Did you ever find the procedure needed for adjusting your driver side bearing? I have not found it yet in this forum. I'm still searching...

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question for steveO: Did you ever find the procedure needed for adjusting your driver side bearing? I have not found it yet in this forum. I'm still searching...
Sorry I did not find this information.

I relied on recording the adjusters position and when I reinstalled the bearing cup I put it back to the same location as the previous.

It must be in the shop manual which I don't have.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
30 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

I plan to just install the new driver side diff. shaft seal (replacing mine because old seal was leaking a bit). I did not move the adjuster behind it. I marked the position with sharpie, then tried to rotate the adjuster with my finger. Since I could not move it, I will assume the adjuster did not move during or after seal removal.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing: I recently posted a photo of the driver side adjuster inside the diff. at the end of the following thread about seal removal:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=63915

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better yet I posted mine.

This is the drivers side

The first show the adjuster, with seal is removed.

The second is the adjuster removed and the bearing cup removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
42 Posts
I did mine this spring, both carrier bearings were shot. it would be a compete waste of time only changing the one drivers side race, you need to pull the diff and do both bearings and seals, and maby even the pinion bearings, to set the carrier bearings it is a rotational torque of the input shaft. Doing that measures the proper preload, and if the one race is pitted those flakes are suspended in the oil and going through all the bearings and gears.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
13 Posts
fyi i figured all of this out exept the main question

the drivers side diff seal (the one that normally leaks onto axle and slings around)
is gm#14271618. this is the one i needed, called drivers side or left hand OUTER

the one that is also the drivers side is the seal that faces the oil pan, gm# 12479302 this is the one that the store will normally try to sell you... called drivers or left hand side INNER

the timken carrier bearing that you may normally find damaged under the adjuster nut is JL69310 (outer race only, hand removable) I found this at carquest on the shelf.

still need to know a good rule of thumb for reinstalling and preloading the adjuster without all the technical mumbo jumbo. the thing was loose enough that i could unscrew it by hand, so thats my starting point for reinstallation.

·
Banned
chevy
1,091 Posts
If the inner side adjuster hasn't moved, simply tighten the outer adjuster until there is a bit of tension on it. Careful use of a flat screwdriver and small hammer will work if you don't have the tool. Don't mar the threads.

All you are doing is setting preload on the carrier bearings with it. The carrier bearing preload is probably the least critical measurement of anything in the diff. Just get it tight.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
4 Posts
Seal part numbers PLEASE???

I need the seal part numbers for the left and right side...PLEASE I purchased p/N#710491 from Advance is this correct?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
13 Posts
seal for one side of the diff or for the oil pan?

when in doubt, take out the seal and give it to the guy at the DEALERSHIP parts counter. and dont leave till you have one that matches it.

thats what i did, he was as surprised as me at how confusing it was.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
4 Posts
Same one you replaced - did not see your post

Same one you replaced.... I did not see your post with part number GM14271618. I am a serious rookie with a Haynes Manual....DANGER DANGER. My seal is leaking and I am going to attempt a CV replacement (whole unit - no rebuild skills) so i figured i would fix it. I don't even know what a "race" is unless you are talking about NASCAR. I have ordered a bunch of suspension parts and I am going to give it a try...Ball Joints upper and lower, strut/shock module, wheel bearings...if it wears out I am replacing it. lots of vids on "how to" on the net and it all looks like stuff I can do except this leak. The ball joint press doesn't even scare me.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Seal = GM14271618

Same one on my 02 Envoy driver side outer seal dealer was the only place I could get it.

For what it's worth...

I originally did what you are going to do, that is replace the CV and the the seal.
The CV may not need to be replaced which was also my case but since I had it a part and had high mileage I decided to replace it.

But the seal soon wore out and there was a noise that got louder as well.

The second time I did the bearing cup and replaced the seal again.
Noise gone, fixed it

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
4 Posts
Thanks Steveo..Is there instructions on replaceing the bearing cup somewhere? Is it difficult? Is the part number of the bearing cup JL69310..I did read somewhere that somthing inside (bearing) causes the seal to go bad...My CV joint boots are toast that's why I am replacing them. The boots are screwed and one is clicking. Thanks for helping.. I am looking forward to doing this and just want to work out. By the way..if you order parts on-line from advance auto parts (150.00 at a time) and use promo code VISA they give you 50.00 off...paid around 102.00 with free shipping for the CV units

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There are no instructions that I'm aware of for replacing the bearing cup.

The picture I posted should help if you decide to do it.

Once the adjuster is unscrewed, the end of the carrier bearing is what you see.
The cup sides out leaving the bearing exposed for inspection.

If the bearing is bad you will need to do more work IE rebuild / replace the front differential which can't be done in place.

BTW
None of the above should be attempted unless you have good mechanical knowledge / skills

I assume the leaking seal is what you are attacking.
You should do a fluid change. A bad sign would be if you find finely ground metal in the drain oil.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
4 Posts
SteveO, thanks for your reply. Once I pull the seal off I will have to unscrew the "Adjuster" is that what is on the towel to the right in this photo? It there a tool for that? Does that fit into the "cup" you replaced. Here is a link to a complete breakdown of the differential number 38 is the seal is 37 what unscrews? http://www.genmotorinfo.com/Picture...9+T,Differential+Carrier/Front+Axle+-+TT06103

Thanks again for your help..I am not going past what you have done.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts