Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Ummmm, been discussed. Did you search for the previous threads? Especially did you soak the CV end shaft with PB Blaster for a couple of days before trying?

Basically, you remove the wheel, caliper, and rotor, remove the 35mm nut on the end of the CV shaft, three bolts on the front of the bearing assembly, and deal with the ABS sensor harness.

Without penetrating oil, you may have to resort to putting the nut back on the shaft to protect the threads, and then use your BFH to tap (not bash) the shaft out of the splines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate to sound so stupid about the whole thing

Yes I have got everything off. working on those three nuts now, I should have asked the question differently, I was told I would need a puller at the parts store. Is that going to be needed

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
no use a Big rubber hammer to driver the axle back a little bit to break the corrosion on the splines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No pics, I have seen them before,

They fit over the the lug bolts and a threaded rod goes threw the middle on to the end of the cv, put a wrench on the end of rod and it pulls it off, the problem is the hole don't line up on the lug bolts right, I believe you if you say I don't need one. Tapping on it has only pulled the shaft loose. It looks like the bearing asembly is fuse to the heat sheild.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
11 Posts
All I can say is that last Fall we had a left front wheel bearing go out on our 02 Envoy. I found a dealer on our route and pulled in. 40 minutes later we were on the road again toward our vacation destination with a new wheel bearing assembly installed and road tested.

I watched most of the job in progress before the shop boss chased me out and had the opportunity to ask a few questions of the young mechanic. The one detail I do not remember is what he did to loosen the splined connection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot for the input.

I should have known it wouldn't be that easy, nothing I've done to it has been. They just don't make them so just anyone can work on them. I did the brakes a couple weeks ago and really wish I had done this then. But I had hoped that noise I was hearing was the brakes. So anyway I got alot done today I took care of that whinning noise by changing the idler pulley. I also got the Wheel bearing done. Thanks to trailvoy and will be tracking down my air pump problem next weekend. Does anyone have any pointers for me on that one before I start! Have a good week!:tiphat

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Air pump has been extensively discussed. Are you just getting code P0410? There are a couple of fuses, a couple of relays (one exposed to the elements), the turbine pump and the exhaust solenoid. Just run a search.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup po410 Already checked fuses

and not sure about how to tell if a relay is bad, where is the exposed one located. I also pulled the hose off the pump on the frame, no water I think thats a good sign. I didn't mess with the hose up top. Had to get the bearing done.I have sifted threw alot of stuff today. Learned alot. I will keep sifting and asking questions til y'all throw me out of here:laugh::thx

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The relay under the car is just in front of the pump. More often than not the problems have been in the exhaust manifold valve sticking, and half the time they responded to being removed and cleaned up. No need to spend money to remove them. Just take off the hose near the exhaust manifold and do a cold start and see if you hear exhaust noises coming from the valve and blowing air from the hose.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
450 Posts
For future reference they do make a wheel hub assembly puller. I rented one at Murrays that ended up being too small, so I rented one from Autozone. There sure was a ton of corrosion on the spines (like everything else on my 02). We weren't comfortable beating the hell out of it with a hammer.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Little trick we use when someone blows a unit bearing hub while off-roading...

Loosen the three bolts that go through the back of the unit bearing, but don't remove the bolts. Leave them in, sticking out. Then turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times. It will generally push out the unit bearing from the spindle mount. A mallet will make the splined axle shafts move (PB helps) once the unit bearing is loose.

We just did a set in the salvage yard yesterday like that -- only tools we had with us was a set of Crapsman metric wrenches. We got it apart... :yes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts