Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in ND along the Canadian border and it can be below zero for weeks on end. Even had a -30 week in Jan. Will having a CAI like Airaid give troubles? Also if I need to oil the filter, oil gets thicker in the cold and it makes sense that would restrict air quit a bit. I heard that Amsoil sells "Better-then-K&N" filters (there claim not mine). Would that not be better then an oiled filter in because of the sensorsand save on throttle body cleaning? I'm new to this so bear with me in my ignorence.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
it'll be fine.......I had my CAI(K&N) for the last 2 years......in Alberta the coldest it gets can be about -30 degrees Celsius or colder...with a windchill it can go up to -50......I have noticed that throttle response is way better since the air is cold......I bought an extra filter and before snow falls(October).....I change over the filter for the winter.....they usually say about 25000km's or more you can get before you have to clean and re-oil......then when spring comes I change it again...BTW...the filter stays cleaner longer in the winter time compared to spring and summer....Good luck!!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
I'm sorry, but I saw this thread title and immediatley thought to myself. If you are running in consistant temps below freezing, do you even need one? Or would it be more beneficial to buy a radiator blanket? :dielaugh:

·
Registered
2002 chevy
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We do place a peice of winter fronts or cardboard in front of radiater on allot of vehicles when it gets that cold because between the -30 and 20mph wind and the 60mph driving it can freeze-up a vehicle allot. We also use Tank heaters or frostplug heaters together with battery heat blackets and interior pre-heaters. my favorite setup is a 1500watt tank heater and a 1.5-2.0 amp charger wired direct to the battery, then plug both in at the same time.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
73 Posts
We do place a peice of winter fronts or cardboard in front of radiater on allot of vehicles when it gets that cold because between the -30 and 20mph wind and the 60mph driving it can freeze-up a vehicle allot. We also use Tank heaters or frostplug heaters together with battery heat blackets and interior pre-heaters. my favorite setup is a 1500watt tank heater and a 1.5-2.0 amp charger wired direct to the battery, then plug both in at the same time.
That sounds like too much work! I think I will stay in my warmer climate area!!!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
423 Posts
i ran a volant cai with a ram air intake and never had a problem. the volant designs never let water in either.

i also use the absolute efficiency filter from amsoil. better known as the Ea filter. its amazing. i put it on every intake. it flows more then any filter when dirty, and cleans to a much smaller micron then k&n.

no ill be honest. k&n will flow, just a tiny tiny tiny bit better, when totally clean. but when they start to get dirty they really suffer. also the oil on any "wet" filter is very bad for the sensors in your intake.

with the amsoil filter, you just blow it out or vacume it to clean it. no oily mess to deal with

just my :m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
423 Posts
so the amsoil is pretty much like aem dryflow filter......almost the same concept.....oil less filter......
in theory yes. but aem uses paper. amsoil uses nano fiber technology, allowing more filter space in the same area. along with many other benefits.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
87 Posts
I live in ND along the Canadian border and it can be below zero for weeks on end. Even had a -30 week in Jan. Will having a CAI like Airaid give troubles? Also if I need to oil the filter, oil gets thicker in the cold and it makes sense that would restrict air quit a bit. I heard that Amsoil sells "Better-then-K&N" filters (there claim not mine). Would that not be better then an oiled filter in because of the sensorsand save on throttle body cleaning? I'm new to this so bear with me in my ignorence.
Hey, on a side note, where are you from in ND? I live 7 miles over the border into Manitoba.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.