Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I use the hot wax at the DIY car washes or no, benefits/risks?

Ordinarily I would wash and wax by hand but between work, school, volunteer work, fall home maintenance, and temps below freezing I simply don't have the time anymore to do it by hand…
I already know using the brush is a bad idea, so I avoid that, and have never used the wax before, so I'm wondering if it's a good idea or not, and if it'd hurt anything like visibility with it on glass.

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
988 Posts
tb

Should I use the hot wax at the DIY car washes or no, benefits/risks?

Ordinarily I would wash and wax by hand but between work, school, volunteer work, fall home maintenance, and temps below freezing I simply don't have the time anymore to do it by hand…
I already know using the brush is a bad idea, so I avoid that, and have never used the wax before, so I'm wondering if it's a good idea or not, and if it'd hurt anything like visibility with it on glass.
you are no different than anyone else who lives where it snows. We all have it done at the car wash in the winter. It isn't going to hurt specially if you have not hand waxed it in the fall .

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
27 Posts
The hot wax is a sealer wax injected into the stream of water coming out to the wand. In the carwash industry we call it cheater wax since it causes the water to bead up and roll off the paint. This wax is equivalent to wearing sunscreen and a hand wax is equivalent to wearing a shirt. Does the same job protecting but one lasts longer than the other. It does not hurt glass chrome or plastics. On glass it acts like Rain X. Use it and forget about it. Only thing is to dry your car off. The calcium and chemicals from the water is whats left on the surfaces once dried. I use hydroflouric acid to remove water spots from windows. But never the windsheild.

Sent from my big old Galaxy Note 2

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hot wax is a sealer wax injected into the stream of water coming out to the wand. In the carwash industry we call it cheater wax since it causes the water to bead up and roll off the paint. This wax is equivalent to wearing sunscreen and a hand wax is equivalent to wearing a shirt. Does the same job protecting but one lasts longer than the other. It does not hurt glass chrome or plastics. On glass it acts like Rain X. Use it and forget about it. Only thing is to dry your car off. The calcium and chemicals from the water is whats left on the surfaces once dried. I use hydroflouric acid to remove water spots from windows. But never the windsheild.

Sent from my big old Galaxy Note 2

Thanks a ton. Sounds like you work in the carwash industry. I just use plain windex on windows to remove spots. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
97 Posts
I agree with the others. Sure won't hurt anything, and definitly better than not using it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Try the magic erasor sponges to get spots off glass. Work well with plain water. I use them in a school building I manage.

About the car wash wax, same comments as those above... Ok, but not a real wax/detail job. Mostly a flow-on silicone polymer substance of some sort, I imagine.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
27 Posts
Its funny that companies still use the term "hot" wax. This is targeted at the audience from the 60s and 70s when that wax was actually heated to help bond to the old lead based paints. The word hot is more of a nostalgic reference to make it seem like its better. The fact is that is is simply a silicone emulsion with some carnuba wax in it and thats the same as what is in the colored foam wax. Its all ok for the car. Just dont use dish detergent. It will remove the layer of wax on the paint.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts