Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some help on this one. Did some forum searches and did not really come up with anything. Anyway, I have two TB's one an EXT LT, the other a SWB LTZ. Last year I lowered the EXT on Ground Force springs and there was a horrible creaking noise while making tight turns. Almost sounds like something is binding. After about three weeks and letting the springs settle, I bring it in for an alignment. They couldn't get it to align perfectly to factory specs, but close enough. The sound goes away and has never returned. A few months ago, I lower my SWB LTZ on Eibachs. No front end noise whatsoever while making tight turns. I again wait about three weeks for the springs to settle and bring it in for an alignment (during this time there is no noise). After driving around for a week or two after the alignment, that horrible noise is present while making tight turns in my SWB now. Is this something related to the alignment. I can only assume, being that I have no idea what is involved in performing an alignment or what is adjusted/adjustable. Any one with similar experience or knowledgeable in alignments, particularly with the 360 platform want to chime in and confirm my hunch before I bring it back to the alignment shop and start any accusations?:(

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
If it is only happening when you make sharp turns you pretty much have it narrowed down to something involving the steering..

how old are your ball joints on the steering knuckle?

have you looked under the vehicle to see if you can see any white grease anywhere? a boot could have popped off or became torn..

you could also put the front end on jackstands, remove the front wheels and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you listen to see where exactly the sound is coming from

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Put it on jackstands and see what the wheels are hitting when you turn it sharp. Jackstands should be under the lower control arms as not to change where the susp. is at rest.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I should mention that the loud creaking only happens when the vehicle is making a tight turn and in motion or moving. Simply turning the wheel while parked will not produce any noise. As far as the replaced parts...the lower ball joints, sway bar bushing, end links, and Eibach springs.:hopelessI did not have it on jack stands, but my brother turned the wheel while I had a peek underneath, and could not see any wheel rub or any other parts that did.:weird:No grease anywhere or other fluids. I may have to end up taping a camcorder to the underside and pull a u-ee.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Other forums mention the lower control arm bushings that can not be replaced could be the culprit. Odd because I had this same noise in the EXT and it went away after an alignment. Even more odd that I now have this noise in the LTZ after alignment.:weird:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts