Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's goin on everyone, just looking to try and get some simple questions answered here.

Right now my TB has newish tires in the back, they've got plenty of tread on them, and my front tires are a completely different story, they are down to the wearbars and gettin pretty bald

Now last weekend I installed new front swaybar endlinks and new poly bushings for my front swaybar

I tested my rear bar out and the endlinks don't have any play in them so I assume the endlinks and everything are good on them

Also I feel its probobly important to mention that I've removed the spare tire so there hardy any weight in the back whatsoever

Anyway, onto the point, ill be honest that I drive my TB like a car, I love corners, etc, I definately don't go easy on my vehicles and like to drive them very performance and sport oriented

ever since I installed my new front endlinks and poly bushings I have HORRENDOUS oversteer, even with my bald ass front tires and new rear ones I feel extremely unsafe going around any corners in my trailblazer anymore

Before I installed the upgraded suspension components I could hang with any of my friends through corners and highway on and off ramps, now that I have the new stuff on my ass end literally kicks out all the time now extremely unexpectadly and just downright dangerous

Understeer is very predictable and safe, and I have no problems with that, but there's no way in hell that im ok with my ass end coming out going 50mph on a offramp, its downright dangerous now and I don't trust my truck whatsoever anymore because it kicks out so much now

Any solutions you can think of to try and help everything out? Im sure its due to my front end being tightened up now and my ass end still being stock, maybe a new rear swaybar? I need to get this thing back to more neutral handling or understeer, I can't take this oversteer I don't trust my vehicle anymore around corners

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
heres a solution on how to fix your problem......DRIVE THE THING LIKE ITS INTENDED AND NOT A FRICKIN INDY CAR!....youd be surprised on how well your truck will handle when u drive it like a normal person......SHEESH!!!:rolleyes::crazy::hissy::x,,i see this thread getting closed soon,,,,very soon.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The new poly bushings are keeping the front tires on the road. The worn front tires are like slicks. Extra rubber on the road, until you hit wet pavement. The softer rear anti-sway bar bushings are allowing one side or the other to lift more, causing that tire to lose traction. You didn't notice it before because front and rear were the same. If you were going too fast, you went into an under-steer condition or four wheel drift and slowed.:m2:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I don't think any report or complaint of suspension performance can be taken seriously unless all four tires are in LEGAL condition and of the same make and model.

If your mission was to drive it like an SS, you should have gotten an SS. If you're on a budget, spend some of it on matching tires.

Or put the bad ones on the back so you can at least steer.

I suppose it might be asking too much if you were rotating them? How could they have gotten so asymmetrical?

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Stock height plus aggressive driving style = BAD. Believe me, I know because when I was 16 I did doughnuts and faux-drifts in my 02. Cost me a power steering pump, havent done them since (burnouts are difference...). Then I put the Hotchkis rear swaybar + poly bushing all around and new endlinks, much better through turns, cut the lean down probably half of stock. Then I dropped with Eibach and Bilstein HDs, even with A/T 16s it corners like its on rails til the tires break free. With the 20s off my SS I know I could throw it through the 30mph corners without a problem, but now I lose the rear end.

This is before I went back to stock height in the rear, problem is even more pronounced now than with the drop springs back there. But Im driving my 02 like a grandma 95% of the time (still shift it at 6500rpms into 2nd and 3rd when I get the urge or to test a tuning change) to get better mileage. Ive got the SS when my lead foot creeps up on me. And I know Im lucky as heck to have both.

Id agree with roadie, get some new front tires, put poly bushing in the back (or pull the front ones out) and see what happens.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mentioned the tires due to the fact that the fronts are down to the wearbars but the backs are brand new looking, so you would assume that it would understeer like crazy because you'd assume new tires would have more grip then some front baldies, appariently not

My ultimate goal is to have full suspension, I already have poly fronts, I want poly rears with a belltech rear swaybar (it has a bigger diameter then a hotchkins) and belltech lowering springs with bilstein HDs

However I noticed that the rear end breaks free much easier turning hard to the right then it does taking lefts?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
625 Posts
You Should Never Ever have 2 different sets of tires on these vehicles either. If you were to drive that thing in the winter in four wheel drive you would burn out the clutches in your transfer case so fast. Put some matching tires on it. It is also possible it's your tires causing your loss of traction (Not that i'm promoting your driving style with a suv) a cheaper tire with an inferior rubber compound compared to your last tires. :m2:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think any report or complaint of suspension performance can be taken seriously unless all four tires are in LEGAL condition and of the same make and model.

If your mission was to drive it like an SS, you should have gotten an SS. If you're on a budget, spend some of it on matching tires.

Or put the bad ones on the back so you can at least steer.

I suppose it might be asking too much if you were rotating them? How could they have gotten so asymmetrical?
I can steer fine with my front tires, obviously, due to the fact that the front end sticks and the rear dosnt.

Ide never put bald tires on the rear that's a horrible idea considering that's where all your power goes 2 ide be doing burnouts for the next 50 yards and hitting posi around every corner with bald ass tires on the back

Before you blame my incompetence and saying I don't rotate my tires you should find out the whole story, I bought my trailblazer december 31st, so I've only had the thing 6 months and it came with the tires like this but at the time they were inspectable and legal even if just by a cm or 2, its not my fault and I've also rotated them twice since I've had the vehicle

These trucks actually handle really good, I think it would take a really crazy act to ever roll one of these considering how wide they are itd be like rolling a tahoe, they are definately a huge improvement over a blazer which ide never trust myself in

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...I bought my trailblazer december 31st, so I've only had the thing 6 months and it came with the tires like this but at the time they were inspectable and legal even if just by a cm or 2, its not my fault and I've also rotated them twice since I've had the vehicle...
I hope you negotiated a discount when you bought it, but to my point of view, the story is that you've TOLERATED these horrible tires for an interminable six months and done nothing about it except drive them aggressively and wear them down to the point they're now illegal. But it's not your fault because they came that way? :sadcry:

The tiny violin is playing again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.