Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going for a slight upgrade over my current sealed box. Keeping with two 10" subs so I can wait for the component upgrades until I can buy quality parts. Making a ported box. I can tell you the overall dimensions are going to be either 46"Wx14"Dx16"H or 46"Wx14"Dx12"H. Subs facing up, ports to the back. Questions for you pros out there. Which dimensions are better? Should I do one port off to the side, or should I build a wall in the middle and run separate ports for each? Subs are my original Pioneer 450w RMS with an 1800w amp 4-ch running bridged to two. I'm planning on tuning it to @ 35hz or less. Any input will be appreciated. I can always make changes as I build if the consensus claims it to be beneficial. I listen to metal/ rap/ rock/ country. In that order. Keeping my sealed box, but I want to try something different with ported.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
Well first thing is the widest you can build your box to fit in the TB is going to 46" unless you plan on going above the wheel humps. Max width between wheel humps is 46". Looks like your going for about 4.5 cuft of airspace. Even though you are only using 1 amp it is two seperate channels that are driving the subs. Unless you can tune the two channels to the exact same output (+/- a little) then you may want to run seperate chambers and ports. Otherwise, if you can tune then the same I would run a single chamber and port.

I don't know the parameters of your speakers but all in all it seems like you are off to a good start.

·
Banned
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was leaning towards separate, and I've got some nice designs. I think I might go more shallow with the box, maybe 10-12". But I'm trying to hide my amp and I've read about some potential overheat issues if I mount it in the floor storage. I want it tall to mount the amp on the backside, but will too much airspace for the speakers have that big of an effect on sound quality?

·
Banned
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Home Depot. For correctly cutting my MDF to the size I wanted. Now my work load has been made easier and my box will have a much nicer finish. Pictures will follow as I progress. Off to work!!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
314 Posts
what is the size and length of vent for those measurements and how did you come up with that

·
Banned
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked through a couple of sites for audiophiles and studied some of the systems done here and elsewhere. Matching that to the specs of my current system and what I'm looking at for the future, I came up with this. It is 46x12x12 with a 3" port in the middle and 2" tunnels in the back that extend 12 inches over. Gives me a little more than 1.5cu ft of airspace to work with. I'm not sure what the Db rating is going to be, but tuned to @35hz, it should hit pretty hard for what I have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts