Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had issues with getting their hood to close and lock properly?

I've always had a bit of trouble, I usally have to slam it down pretty hard to get it to fully lock, and I notice many times if I get it back from a quick lube type place or detailer that it will not be fully locked (starts jumping up and down on the freeway because just the top latch is holding it down).

Last night I was checking fluids and when I was done I couldn't get it to close at all, not even slamming it down full force (which can't be normal or good). Can't push down on it with all my weight either. I tried many different positions with the hood stops and still can't seem to get it to lock in.

Hoping this is a common problem and there's some easy solution. Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
I have that problem also... Mine latches but I have to slam the S*** out of it! Sometimes it pops up on the interstate which is kinda scary but I know it won't pop all the way up. I am considering buying a new latch for the hood but it hasn't been acting up lately.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
476 Posts
Don't know the proper GM term for them, but have you tried screwing the rubber hood stops on the radiator support down just a little bit?
As one of the other posters always reminds us "Try the cheapest, easiest fix first."

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
357 Posts
It is very likely the hood stops are the problem and are set too high. Turn them down (clockwise) a little at a time--same amount on each side--until your hood closes and latches relatively easy but without getting too loose causing a loose hood.

C.B.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Screwing the hood stops down was one of the first things I tried, all the way down to the point where they wouldn't turn clockwise any more. Strange problem.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Was your TB/Voy(?) ever in an accident in the front?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
357 Posts
Have you tried any adjusting of the latch mechanism that is attached to the front crossmember? I just looked at mine and there is quite a bit of room for adjustment and more could be made using a file in the adjustment holes. Looks like it would be very easy to adjust because all three bolts holding the latch mechanism are readily available.

C.B.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The hood adjusting screws should be set so the hood and fenders are level. As MAY03LT stated: spray the latch with PB Blaster. Then have someone hold the hood opening lever up and work the latch up front to make sure it is moving smoothly. If all is working smoothly, the hood and fenders are level and you still have to slam the hood to get it to latch, then you will have to adjust the latch mechanism.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
On my hood there is nothing in the way of the latch it just does not click all the way down. When it does not latch all the way the hood is as if I pulled the latch and wanted to access under the hood. There is definetly a problem with the latch. I looked at it and it looks like some WD-40 would loosen the latch a bit and therefore problem solved... hopefully.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last night I sprayed it down with some penetrating oil (didn't have any PB Blaster on hand), let it soak a while, then moved all the parts back and forth, had someone pull the latch several times, etc. It was still very hard to move the part by hand, I can see why the hood has problems pushing all the way in.

I did notice a small round magnet stuck down in the bottom of the latch where the hood locks in and pullled it out. Not sure if that is some part of the mechanism that broke off or not???? It seemed in the way where it was stuck so I took it out - that still didn't help the problem though.

Ultimately I loosened the three bolts that hold the latch on and raised it bit by bit until I was satisfied with how it locked - which ended up being all the way up. You can see 3/4 of the marks where the bolts originally were, so quite a bit higher, but it locks pretty good now, I can push it down and lock it with one hand from the resting position - like a normal car! :D I raised the rubber hood stops back up to level the hood with the fenders and everything looks normal looking at it straight on. Still think something must be wrong with it if I had to raise it almost 1/2 inch from factory position, but for now it works with no $$$ spent.

Thanks for all the advice! :thx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts