Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while checking out some stuff under the hood today i noticed the hood and body of our tbss has mounting brackets for self opening hinges to hold the hood up without the hood prop. has anyone put these on so it will hold it self open instead of using the prop stick? this is one of the first vehicles i have owned that did not have a self holding hood i guess i am just spoiled. anyone know a part number from gm or anything or any gm vehicles that use them?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
while checking out some stuff under the hood today i noticed the hood and body of our tbss has mounting brackets for self opening hinges to hold the hood up without the hood prop. has anyone put these on so it will hold it self open instead of using the prop stick? this is one of the first vehicles i have owned that did not have a self holding hood i guess i am just spoiled. anyone know a part number from gm or anything or any gm vehicles that use them?
I know exactly what you are talking about. It looked like GM had origionally planned to have the hinges, but went with the prop rod at the last minute. Probably for lower manufacturing cost. It would be great to find another GM product that these hinges could be sourced from. We have a 2001 Tahoe with the hinges, but I think they are too big to fit. I haven't tried them though :undecided

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
521 Posts
I have the redline hood kit and went ahead and painted the struts the body color to match. Install was easy and it greatly improves the underhood area. I've always hated that damn prop rod. I've got pics of it in my gallery if your interested in what it looks like.

Tim

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,812 Posts
I have the redline hood kit and went ahead and painted the struts the body color to match. Install was easy and it greatly improves the underhood area. I've always hated that damn prop rod. I've got pics of it in my gallery if your interested in what it looks like.

Tim
It does look good.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Guess I'm not the only one who painted their Redline kit! :)

Anyway, doesn't the Saab have a piston mounted on the driver side to prop the hood automatically? (I remember one of the GMT360 models did come with a hood strut from the factory).

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Redline Tuning kit installed on my TB (clicakble tumbnails):

Some more of the Saab 97-X's strut (am I the only one that finds it strange they only put one?)

The lower mount:

The upper mount:

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Then what's a hood hinge? :confused:

the brackets that the hood attaches to the body :weird:

better hood hinges.. as in having a tension spring built into the hinges so it will stay up on its own

my old Bonneville had that.. no hood prop and no struts... just spring hood hinges

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Hood Struts or spring tension hinges

I'm looking at adding the hood struts to my Chevy Trailblazer but now that I know there could be Spring Tension Hinges out there maybe that would be better.

has anyone ever used or seen a combination of both?

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_ls
17 Posts
Found IT

Found the extra hinge from my Dads Yukon

I think it is the Passenger side one, although there isnt a hole on the actual hood, should be able to fit

Any Ideas Guys ?

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts