Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright since times are hard i decided to make an intake myself. see as most are over 250$ a 30$ homebrew seems logical for me. I based it on several from teh site but i wasnt able to get a clear directions on how to do it. So here goes. there is some guesswork but its a good basis for your own and fairly easy.

What i used:
3in electrical conduit 90deg
3in electrical conduit straight 12 foot piece
1 plastic nipple and one metal (both from homedepot ,bigger on was plastic)
2 vacuum hoses from autozone (tighter fit the better)
90degree copper 1in elbow (from home depot)
2 pvc rubber connectors with hose clamps
1 stock sized k and N filter

First off was to remove everything including the big vortec plastic box so just the throttle body is exposed

i put the 90 degree piece by the throttle body and cut so that i would only need a straight piece to place the filter in the stock location

once you have the placement and are happy with it, you need to sand down the end the filter is going onto (this is easy with a dremmel but can be done with a file as well. Just keep it even and check for fitment so you don't go through and make it weak.

after you have the piping fitted the hard part was for the big hose that conected to the bottom of the stock (MAf sensor?) For this is used a 1in piece of copper 90 degree elbow and a hose clamp to hold the tube on. To put it into the piping i cut a hole i believe was 3/4 in and wedged the copper elbow into the grommet and glued the whole thing, just make sure the angle is right

after that was done you have to connect the two hoses that connected to the stock vortec box off the throttle body. this was straight forward all you need is longer hoses and the nipples

once your hoses are connected and you are happy with the fitment ENJOY. I need to mount it down somehow and build a wall to block the hot air , but i believe there are write ups for those

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,667 Posts
I was actually just looking at this stuff at Home Depot today and wondering how I could tell which materials were safe for engine bay temperatures? I'd paint it flat black, if I found a good high temp paint.

Thanks for the step by step and parts list, a few other members have done similar setups but hadn't given a lot of detail.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the kind words..and i'll gladly give advice for anyone that needs it...oh it sounds awesome but its loud..so if your looking for a quiet ride its not for u..basically its a k and n pipk kit because of the box delete..but for me its worth it..i love the sound when i mash it and its instant..i looked at all the others on the site but none were clear and detailed so i combined what i got from theirs and what i figured out and wanted to share it... i hadnt thought about painting it but i think i will now..maybe some 2000degree engine paint or something along those lines.

My next step was going to be getting a tahoe or such windshield washer fluid holder to get that out of the way and making a box around the filter heading down behind the grill for a forced induction type..i had done something like that a couple years back where i put tubing from the hole in the stock box and ran it down to an empty fog light hole..it worked great but the filter got so dirty it killed the initial power

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
40 Posts
you dont need to go nuts with the temp of the paint, id definately get a high temp paint, but the 500 degree will suit you nicely. its plastic, so its not gonna get real hot.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,121 Posts
What K&N filter did you get? I mean, what is the model number?

Thanks.. and that's a pretty good looking setup ya came up with...!

·
Banned
888 Posts
Looks almost exaclty like mine except i just used the flange to mount the pipe vs a hose clamp. You might want to look into doing the air box gutting, works nice at keeping some of the heat off of the filter.

AS for the temp mine has been on for over a year same pipe an everything, nothing has melted or anything, and mine sits right on the valve cover.

Nice work, looks like you took the 90 angle and cut the angle you needed for it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rrufast: its a direct replacement for the stock one E 1009..picked it up from a local autoparts store

Blazinlow89: yea i just cut the angle i needed from the 90 that would connect to a straight piece

EDIT: for the step by step i forgot to mention that the smaller hose that connects to the engine has two different nipples..the one on the airbox by the throttle body was bigger than that on the engine..so when getting a hose get one that fits on teh smaller and stretch it onto the bigger or it will be loose.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
257 Posts
you went overboard compared to what i did yesterday... here's an okie for ya:

took the stock air intake box off, dropped in a k&n filter, covered that top hole with, guess.... ductape :dielaugh: yes ductape, and BAM custom air intake hahahahaha works fine and sounds pretty cool

the weirdest part is my check engine light was on for quite awhile before, went and had the code ran, they said it had something to do with the air/fuel mixture or some crap.... then once i made this fancy contraption.... the light went off... wierd

but hey until i can afford a real cai, i think this'll work just fine :) kudos for your ingenuity though!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,227 Posts
you went overboard compared to what i did yesterday... here's an okie for ya:

took the stock air intake box off, dropped in a k&n filter, covered that top hole with, guess.... ductape :dielaugh: yes ductape, and BAM custom air intake hahahahaha works fine and sounds pretty cool

the weirdest part is my check engine light was on for quite awhile before, went and had the code ran, they said it had something to do with the air/fuel mixture or some crap.... then once i made this fancy contraption.... the light went off... wierd

but hey until i can afford a real cai, i think this'll work just fine :) kudos for your ingenuity though!!!:thumbsup:

I also covered the hole with Duck tape. Just make sure every month or so you check the tape so it doesn't loose its stickiness (word? w/e) Cuz mine used to get really hot and almost melt.:eek: I'm right now trying to find the perfect cap to cover the hole

·
Registered
181 Posts
I also covered the hole with Duck tape. Just make sure every month or so you check the tape so it doesn't loose its stickiness (word? w/e) Cuz mine used to get really hot and almost melt.:eek: I'm right now trying to find the perfect cap to cover the hole
you could plug the hole up with some kind of epoxy.... a high temp JB weld or something.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
257 Posts
isn't the hole too big?? maybe if you took somekind of mesh or something to cover over it first, cause if i remember right the hole is like two inches or something in diameter??

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.