Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
319 Posts
I did mines about a week ago and i feel the difference in the acc. pedal i luv it but it took me like 4hrs rotory tool it had some small disc that it kept breaking. When i got done i ran to the house and called my wife, my daughters and my mother on the phone:woohoo::woohoo:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
61 Posts
guys i wanted to ask a question and didnt want to start a new thread but
my frist question is do i need a tune if i remove the intake resonator?
and is it best to put a filter on the crank case vent or just plug it back into the cai ? and is a throttle body spacer worth it?
and btw this hollowing out the air box is a pain
thanks for your help guys! :D

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
has anyone done a dyno and compared the CAI to a hollowed out airbox? I would think if you cut the front out of the air box toward the grill, you would get similar results....

·
Registered
2005 saab 9_7x
22 Posts
... after installing a K&N drop-in, I removed the air box top completely and plugged the bypass hole in the intake tube.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
21 Posts
Had To Do IT

After reading this thread and looking at the pictures, I just had to do this mod.
Just want to say thankyou for posting it. I am trying to keep this truck as close to stock as possible. I actually bought the truck for my wife, but it is also the family ride and I have to pay for the GAS! She has a heart attack every time she see's me working on it, due to the fact of some other heavily modified vehicles that I have completed (That she hates).
After seeing the end results in the pics, I figured how much closer to stock can you get? It is the stock air box, just gutted out. When I installed my K&N a couple of months ago, I could not beleive how tight that box was. I just didn't understand how it got sufficient air through that little tiny hole.
Anyways, I did the mod tonight and what a difference! Just being very light on the foot, it excellerates better and climbs hills much easier. I will post any mileage differences in a couple of days after driving out a tank or 2.
Before this mod, I was averaging 20.6 (Highway & City Combined, but more highway than city) and 16.2 pulling my boat to the lake and back.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
21 Posts
Air Box Mod

I did this mod and lost about 3 miles a gallon. Hollowing out the box allows it to get to hot creating the air intake temperature to rise. The single layer of plastic just isn't thick enough to absorb the engine heat. Do not do this mod if you are trying to save gas mileage. Same situation if you remove the air box completly. Done both of them and don't recommend either one.
I went a bought a Volant CAI and got my 3 miles a gallon back + 2 more. Best way to go even though they can get pricey..

21 - 32 of 32 Posts