Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
64 Posts
Hate to resurrect this, but has anyone here used the power bastards alternator with success?

Also, what kind of battery to replace the stock battery should one look to?

·
Registered
300 Posts
While I don't have any experience with Power Bastards Alts... As for batteries you could look into just about any of the aftermarket AGM (sealed) batteries such as Optima, Deka, Powermaster, etc.

Oh and since this is a H/O alternator thread, I thought I'd give a lil update on Excessive Amperage Alts... They now have the option for GM & Ford 6 groove, Ford 8 groove, and Single V-belt) overdrive pulleys that are the smallest on the market and made of T6061 aircraft grade aluminum (Billet) for even more amperage at idle and the lighter weight will be less strain on the bearings for longer life... So far in testing the 6 groove showed a 17-18% gain at idle on a 300amp alt.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
13 Posts
"help Please"

all i have as far as a system goes is 2 memphis M3 15's and a mc1100d and i like to play it loud, but my electrical system wot permit me. my lights dim a lot and my amp wil go into protection after being played loud for a while like 10 minutes, what can i do. i know this question has been asked and prolly answered a few times but i am new to this forum.

Del
[email protected]

·
Registered
300 Posts
all i have as far as a system goes is 2 memphis M3 15's and a mc1100d and i like to play it loud, but my electrical system wot permit me. my lights dim a lot and my amp wil go into protection after being played loud for a while like 10 minutes, what can i do. i know this question has been asked and prolly answered a few times but i am new to this forum.

Del
[email protected]
Del, sounds like it's more of an issue than just the alternator and power, so I'm gonna ask a couple questions to help figure out more.
1) Is your sub amp the only amp and/ or aftermarket electrical piece?
2) What size wire (and fuse) do you have running to the amp and is it direct from the battery?
3) Do you have the big 3 done?
4) Are you sure you have a good ground?
5) Are you sure the subs are wired properly so the amp sees the proper load?
6) Are you still running the stock battery or do you have an upgrade?

Answers to these will help narrow the problem :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i know i got mine from a guy name nate who builds them himself out of Alamba. The company name is Excessive Amperage, i really didn't hear about him until i went to a couple ISACA and USACi events. I got a 300amp alt from him and i know right now i run between 14.4-14.8 volts. i have 2 1600 watt amps and 2 08 kicker l7 15's in a 2.75 CuFt box. i can turn that thing all the way up and still hold around 14.3-14.5 his alternators are legit, it helped me hit the FL state record for my amp size at 146.0 DB recorded by USACi:woot:

you can see some of the set-up on my car domain
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3069091

·
Registered
300 Posts
Chris USAF... When did you get your alt from Excessive? I ask because within the last few months the new GM large case alts from them have an even smaller overdrive pulley for an even better charge at idle and I was wondering if that's one of the ones you got.
And you may or may not know, but Nate's working on a 350amp alt (that will still charge at idle) now that should be available within the next few weeks.

I have a little bit of an inside scoop being an Excessive Amperage dealer and also the marketing company that sells the new pulleys to him... Call it an unfair advantage :p
But yeah, great products from them and he's been around for years now :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
True a cap does replenish quickly, but also get drained just as fast... Do you realize that the reason Kinetik's HC600 (7"L x 3"W x 6.5"H, very small) is referred to as "the Cap Killer"... It will provide over 100 times the amount of power of a 1 farad capacitor... This is why I say "Add another battery for More reserve" and your voltage drop should go away.

Obviously I'm going to have to put up another FAQ ... This time about Caps vs. Batteries
The problem with adding a second battery is that your alternator needs to now charge both. That is more draw on th alt. You should keep the cap get a high out put and then you can add the second battery or just **** can the cap and 2nd battery and get a good batcap. I have the power bastards 250 amp alt and it is great. Alot of companies are putting out these new battery caps. and they are doing real well

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
219 Posts
This keeps getting resurrected over and over so why not again. Has anyone actually found a bracket for dual alternators yet? Nothing in this read has indicated that anyone on here has one. If you have any information on it let me know. I have **** luck on google as well, so it's not like I haven't put in my time searching, I just may be looking in the wrong places.:undecided

·
Registered
219 Posts
So I guess the biggest we can go is a 300 amp alt then as well.. this kinda sucks lol, unless I do a generator :crazy:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks. Just sent them a contact email. We'll see if they have make them or have an idea where we may be able to find them.:thx

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not sure if a front mount bracket like that is going to work at all unless you use alternators that are designed for it.. My HO mounts up just like stock from side to side and not front to back.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
454 Posts
i wanted to run dual alts also but i coulnt figure out where to the second so i just have the single 260A DC Power alt. It was a direct fit in the stock location. If you need more charging power i would look into mla.com i have one and seems to work well

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well I am upgrading right now and I want to not have to worry about my future applications. I am installing 2 2000w amps for 4 15" L7's, a 750w 5 channel amp, 17" over head monitor, with 2 7" headrests, also I may be putting in a ps3 for my daughter, I have my 7" touch screen and I am also adding in more exterior lighting. I want to run one strictly for audio and video and one for everything else. I have been installing for years, and trust me.. I wouldn't do it if I didn't need it. :raspberry

101 - 120 of 158 Posts