Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Don't us I6 guys already have a HO Alternator? I'm positive my window sticker indicated HO 145 AMP alternator, which is even 20 more than the V8 guys get.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I highly doubt you'll need a dual setup. Mine is a 275amp single. But, I am going to be getting dual. System is in gallery. It will run you about 500 or so, unless you know tom or gus (they own and operate Ohio gen.). What does your system consist of currently?

·
Registered
520 Posts
what are our stock alternators rated at? 160 or somethin right?

if they fabricate a bracket wouldnt it be cheaper to get two stock alternators? that would be nice...

i really dont need a duals or a single HO for that matter but its nice to know what price range they run in...

·
Registered
80 Posts
well my amps are up in the air at the moment. im either going to be running 2 1000W @ 1 ohm or 1 2000W @ 2ohm. plus my 680.4 for my components. and im currently running a Soundstream 1500D

could i get away with running one bigger one (how much is a 275 amp single) the Big 3 and a good batt?

·
Registered
2008 chevy
16,008 Posts
well my amps are up in the air at the moment. im either going to be running 2 1000W @ 1 ohm or 1 2000W @ 2ohm. plus my 680.4 for my components. and im currently running a Soundstream 1500D

could i get away with running one bigger one (how much is a 275 amp single) the Big 3 and a good batt?
yes you can get away with running a bigger one, and doing the big 3 and a battery.

i am running a RF T20001 mono amp at 1.34 ohms i have a stock battery and stock alternator and it holds up pretty well, i will be doing 2 deep cycle batteries and an ohio gen alternator though

I would go with one amp @ 2kw
you a RF power series amp will work wonders!!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
83 Posts
I just run the factory alternator, but I looked into HO alternators at one time. I used to be on the Termpro audio forums all the time and as of a couple of years ago, the guys over there were always bragging about Dominic Iraggi's alternators. If you're looking for an alternator, you might want to look into them. Also, it looks like some other forums have done group buys on his alternators. Might be worth checking it out.

Also worth noting: If I remember right, Dominic explained that the higher amp ratings might not actually be better in some cases because, for example, some 200A alternators will do more current at lower RPM than some 250A alternators. They may both do their rated current at redline, but that's irrelevant for daily driving. Now for competitors who pull the car off of the trailer, pull into the lanes, rev to 2k RPM, and burp, well, the higher rating might be fine since you can put the right pulley on it to run the alternator at the proper RPM. But a daily driver sees a wider RPM range, which changes things. Keep in mind, I know relatively little about this stuff. I just seem to remember Dominic mentioning this once before on the Termpro forums.

·
Banned
4,511 Posts
Irragi alternators are very nice alts.

Meade is running dual 300's and pushing 21,000 watts for rockford power!!! It's deffinately a vehicle of wonder!

I talked to dom about one for the TB and I think it was something like 419 for a 300 amp alt, which is a pretty good price.

I'm thinking of going with excessive amperage, that's where my connections are at.

But those would be my top 3 recommendations, Irragi, Excessive, and Ohio gen. Either of these will be a very good alt to go with.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
is there some sort of calculator, a rule of thumb or something for how many amps your alternator should push given the amount of RMS rating of the amp your running? what would be sufficient for 900 rms? i was told i could have my stock alternator rebuilt to 200V for $200. is this a good deal?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
There are companies out there to that u can send your alt in and they will rebuild it, anywhere from 300-500amps on your stock alt.
You will NEVER get 500 amps out of your stock alt's housing. The size would increase greatly. Be careful where you send it to also. Unlike Ohio Generator, NO OTHER ALT builder has the computer/machine that they test theirs on. This machine is essential in that it tests how many amps your alt puts out before and after the rebuild, and at what RPM it takes to get there. Just watch out for scams, there are a ton out there. ;)

·
Registered
2006 chevy
3 Posts
Look up Dominic Iraggi on E-bay he is great to deal with and you won't find a more knowledgable guy. He has had several world titles in SQ & SPL and can explain things to you very well. His alternators are priced very well.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
:iagree: saw one of Dom's alts on ebay. It was a 275 amp and was priced around $299 plus shipping.

For one of his alts thats a steal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
has anyone ever heard of motorcityreman.com? i just recently purchased a 275 amp alternator for around 360 but i havent heard anything about this company. as soon as i get my ho alternator im gonna put it in and test it out with my MTX 1501D elite amp with 2 MTX 9512 4-4 ohms and ill let you guys know. does n e 1 know what r alternators are rated at?

1 - 20 of 158 Posts