Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come when I have my LOW beams on I can see the bulb that's lit. That's OK I think.

BUT ---> when I switch to HIGH beams, there's a smaller light right behind the LOW beam bulb, that lights up? That's weird I think.

Psssst --- I haven't done anything to my lighting yet.

As I see it - there's three bulbs in the uni-housing that has a LOW beam bulb, a HIGH beam bulb and another bulb behind the reflector in the LOW beam area that lights up.....

I'm soo-o-o-o-o confused.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
677 Posts
How come when I have my LOW beams on I can see the bulb that's lit. That's OK I think.

BUT ---> when I switch to HIGH beams, there's a smaller light right behind the LOW beam bulb, that lights up? That's weird I think.

Psssst --- I haven't done anything to my lighting yet.

As I see it - there's three bulbs in the uni-housing that has a LOW beam bulb, a HIGH beam bulb and another bulb behind the reflector in the LOW beam area that lights up.....

I'm soo-o-o-o-o confused.
I will have to say I have no idea what mine has! I will look tomorrow though. Yours was a highway patrol vehicle or the like right? Do you think there might be some special equipment there?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
628 Posts
I think TJBaker is on to something here. Since your 05 was owned by a utility, they likely installed "hazard lights" in the headlamp housing. Something like this:

When the utility sold the vehicle, they likely removed the controller and left the lamps and wiring.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to say I have no idea what mine has! I will look tomorrow though. Yours was a highway patrol vehicle or the like right? Do you think there might be some special equipment there?
Hmmmmmm.... that's a very good possibility.

There are some wiring changes with some very beautiful heat-shrink connex behind the grill and a bank of other relays that I cannot find any controls for nor and place where switches might have been.

BUT --- when I was under the center console, there were patched holes that might have held a computer stand and rifle rack.

Whatever it was/is is very discrete. Those lamps inside the LOW beam reflectors and housings though, they baffle me.

Maybe a wig-wag oscillating headlight system - I dunnow.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW ----> Yeah - a California Highway Patrol vehicle.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well, at least I remembered it was a fleet vehicle. I know that the Maryland State Police are getting sneakier and sneakier with what they drive. They are driving what appear to be regular pickups, vans, SUVs, sedans, etc. Unmarked except for the 3 or 4 antennas mounted on them. All the emergency lights, hazard lights, etc., are all concealed in the headlights, taillights, behind the grill, in a thin strip mounted on the inside of the front & rear windshields along the roof line.

And despite the hands free laws with respect to cell phones, just about every state trooper I see driving is holding a cell phone to their head.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got to observe the roof tomorrow - surprisingly I haven't been there yet. I don't see any holes in the roof or headliner and the headliner itself is tight with no sags or bag/rips.

I do see antenna connex at each rear window - remember this is an EXT and is seriously longer than a regular TB. There are fine wires inside the glass on both rear c-to-d pillar quarter windows and I imagine these are cast in place, inside the glass antennas.

There is darkening film ON the windows in the rear -and in the glass itself, although like I said: someone has put another layer of limo-tint film on the glass too.

There's coax running in the door sills too that dead end on a kinda coax matching kinda transformer there at each window.

The windshield has fine wires imbedded in it at the very top, just 1 inch below the roofline. I haven't noticed any coax there yet - but I really haven't looked either.

I see no provision for a light bar - inside or outside. The dashboard appears to be a virgin too.

There are a few places where my cleaning of the door panels revealed some places where screws were run into the doors themselves - although the vinyl has healed over the holes so well that you really have to look for them.

Inside the driver's side dash secret panel - there are some oddball wires that I am sure are not GM. I also used that as a j-box for my installation of a 2U rear-view DVD-CD-Bluetooth, etc stereo - that actually was pre-installed but not completely wired up.

I added in an industrial quality velcro'd on the dash trailer controller for the electric brakes and the wires to do that were already under the dash - the fuse was not installed for the Up-rigger trailer B+ - but it is now.

Slowly - this is turning into a fun project that I hope to get closer to done this winter. I need to adapt my river canoe rack to it somehow though.

Look as I might - I cannot find any evidence of a mount for a rocket launcher either.

·
Registered
628 Posts
As I said, sneakier and sneakier... Find the laser cannon yet?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
628 Posts
OK earthling, I am now going to blast your planet. I love Marvin!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotta early AM roll out to get to the Doc's 60 miles away by 0800.

Nite for now ...............................

·
Registered
628 Posts
Bon voyage and good luck!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
677 Posts
Hmmmmmm.... that's a very good possibility.

There are some wiring changes with some very beautiful heat-shrink connex behind the grill and a bank of other relays that I cannot find any controls for nor and place where switches might have been.

BUT --- when I was under the center console, there were patched holes that might have held a computer stand and rifle rack.

Whatever it was/is is very discrete. Those lamps inside the LOW beam reflectors and housings though, they baffle me.

Maybe a wig-wag oscillating headlight system - I dunnow.
Had a look at my 2002 just now... No extra bulbs, just the high beam, low beam, and marker/signal down at the bottom.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a look at my 2002 just now... No extra bulbs, just the high beam, low beam, and marker/signal down at the bottom.
Okay. I'll try to get a pix of that light setup. Like you said... this may be ex-cop stuff.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sitting in Wendy's in Missoula, eating lunch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts