Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just painted my truck black and now its time to start some mods :)

I am thinking of doing a billet grille and changing the bowtie color to either black or chrome..I am thinking silver/chrome might be overkill with the crossbar being silver

For those of you who did billet grills...did you have to replace the entire grill or did you do one that goes over the existing grill? I see online there are both kinds..

Also the bowtie..did you paint it, put a decal on or replace the whole thing?

Also, any suggestions where to purchase both? I see billet grills on ebay but not sure how great they are..

this is what the front of my truck looks like now..

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
416 Posts
From what I've read here, most just paint the bowtie but some have used a vinyl decal too. As for the grill, I see a lot going with the inserts. Use the search button, should give you plenty of answers. Where in NJ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've read here, most just paint the bowtie but some have used a vinyl decal too. As for the grill, I see a lot going with the inserts. Use the search button, should give you plenty of answers. Where in NJ?
Thanks..i see on ebay they sell replacements but wasn't sure how the emblem comes off anyways.

Just debating on what i am going to do..

I just moved to asbury park :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For those with billet grills. Did you do a replacement or bolt on?

I noticed online that there are replacement grills and grilles that bolt on over the existing grill. Just curious if there is a big appearence difference after it is installed (like with the bolt on..would i see the old grill underneath)? And how hard is it to remove the grill if i ended up purchasing the billet grill that replaces the existing one?

Sorry for all the questions!!:p

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
468 Posts
I'd leave the crossbar chrome and just paint the bowtie black to match your truck.. check out my avatar..
If you want a bigger pic of my avatar let me know.. it looks real nice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd leave the crossbar chrome and just paint the bowtie black to match your truck.. check out my avatar..
If you want a bigger pic of my avatar let me know.. it looks real nice.
I think this is what I am going to do. I def like how that looks. Did you keep the stock grill or end up doing a billet?
Also when you painted the bowtie did you remove it? If so, was it hard to remove?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
I had originally just covered my bowtie in black vinyl. It is still just wrapped in that same vinyl, now 3 years later...

I also painted my cross bar just over a year ago... its starting to chip now, but I did not prep its as well as I should have in the first place...

Removing the bowtie involves removing the grille itself... check here... http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=7

Step 5 shows the 2 nuts that hold the bowtie itself on once you have the grille off...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had originally just covered my bowtie in black vinyl. It is still just wrapped in that same vinyl, now 3 years later...

I also painted my cross bar just over a year ago... its starting to chip now, but I did not prep its as well as I should have in the first place...

Removing the bowtie involves removing the grille itself... check here... http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=7

Step 5 shows the 2 nuts that hold the bowtie itself on once you have the grille off...
Thank you for this!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I am glad to see that removing the grill is alot easier than I had imagined it to be..
So you ended up just buying some black vinyl and wrapping it and it held up for 3 years? Maybe ill try that route. I see they sell the bowties on ebay so i was debating buying one for 30 bucks or painting it, but i know i wouldnt have the patience to paint it.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
963 Posts
Black vinyl here as well, held up fine for over a year until Bambi jumped out of the darkness and killed the front of my truck:

After the Bambi incident, I put this front end back on it:

I had the bow tie painted the same color of the truck, and oh yeah, I put the SS bumper cover on it! :woot:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks; just making lemonade out of one of life's lemons. :hahano:

Lame I know... :tiphat

Def. not lame. I blew the motor in my truck and almost decided to scrap the truck and just find something new to buy but instead got a used motor put in the truck and took it from red to black :)
Def made lemonade out of my lemons!!! :woot:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts