Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4WP had a price typo, so I snagged one of the first ones shipped to the region just to make sure somebody can take advantage of a discount. http://www.tiregate.com/hg.shtml Will probably sell it after I get my own custom swing-away rear bumper, but my fabricator is slooooooow. So I get to use this for a while. Assembled and installed in ten minutes while I was on my way to the Cuyamaca area for camping this weekend.

Nice features: Very nice clearance to the rear glass when closed. They designed an expanding receiver tang that absolutely locks it into your receiver with zero slop or wiggle. It's like it's welded in place. Wilco included a wire cable as a safety feature in case your lug nuts loosen and fall out, but you can also padlock it to the swing arm for theft-resistance. Provision to mount your HiLift horizontally. I believe there's good room for 2-3 Jerry cans with additional bracketry. You still get a 2" receiver, rated for 750 lbs, tongue weight and 7500 lb trailer, built into the Hitchgate, but it's 2 1/2" higher than your original receiver, so a larger drop ball mount will be needed.

All in all a high-quality product for $690 list price, even better is you snag a discount.

Drawbacks: Holes drilled for tire mounting were not meant for 6X5" pattern, so I could only install two bolts (4 included) until I drill the backing plate a bit. I'll tell Wilco next week so they can modify future ones to help out other trailvoy buyers. No provision for pinning it in the open position, so it could swing back on you if you open it on a tilted trail.

Just saw one in the DC/MD/VA area craiglslist for $600. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/pts/355612052.html

I'll measure the slight reduction in departure angle later.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,497 Posts
That is definitely a really nice (but pricey) temporary rear for you :yes:

As a perminant "off road" spare wheel hauler it looks like the only "must have" to serve the purpose. Looks like it could also be a nice spot for your winch (in the rear) as well :undecided

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
476 Posts
All in all a high-quality product for $690 list price, even better is you snag a discount.

Drawbacks: No provision for pinning it in the open position, so it could swing back on you if you open it on a tilted trail.
I am willing to wager it will smack you only once before you figure out where to add an additional tab or where to jam a piece of 2x4 to keep the thing from swinging shut on you.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could almost fit a tire between the inside of the tiregate and the rear window.
I was interested in that also. Good idea. Turns out the space is 1.5" too narrow. :worried:
I am willing to wager it will smack you only once before you figure out where to add an additional tab or where to jam a piece of 2x4 to keep the thing from swinging shut on you.
:duh: But I only park on nice, flat surfaces, remember? :D

·
Registered
917 Posts
I was interested in that also. Good idea. Turns out the space is 1.5" too narrow. :worried:
Order a spacer from Fred and remove the rear viper and rear glass handle... :dielaugh::dielaugh::dielaugh:

Seriously, I'm sure there would be a way with a lil' moddin' if someone wanted to do it.. I just think that space is a waste of space... :) and adds unnecessary length to your vehicle (and changing the point of balance too).

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
. I just think that space is a waste of space...
I agree. I'd put gas cans there that are only 7" thick. The HiLift goes horizontally, but might hit the cans. Hmmmmm. Not sure I want to start modding this into my own design until I decide to keep it, which I really don't want to do.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
To get another tire in there, could you not just put a longer piece of square tube? Like get the piece that mounts in the receiver around an inch longer?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next time I have it off, I'll take a pic. The reason it doesn't wiggle in the receiver is their special "wedge lock" design that takes up the last 2" of the male stinger. That would be really hard to extend.

But really, I carry two spares (of my OEM continentals) on very rare trail rides. I don't know of anybody else who carries two spares unless they're in a race.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Next time I have it off, I'll take a pic. The reason it doesn't wiggle in the receiver is their special "wedge lock" design that takes up the last 2" of the male stinger. That would be really hard to extend.

But really, I carry two spares (of my OEM continentals) on very rare trail rides. I don't know of anybody else who carries two spares unless they're in a race.
Ah gotcha on the design idea, and yeah, you probably don't really need 2 spares, unless you're driving on a glass mountain or something:laugh:

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
1,614 Posts
don't think Mr. Policeman would like you blocking your rear plate:nono::m2:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
don't think Mr. Policeman would like you blocking your rear plate:nono::m2:
Ack. I gotta relocate the plate tonight! They sell a kit to do that, but I didn't buy it. Thanks for the reminder! My front plate is already a kludge job waiting for the front bumper to get fabbed, but it's visible and legal.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yet again, another cool toy from the Roadie, lol. I just ordered my wheels and tires, although only 4 of them. I might get a spare one day, but for now, it's just the 4. I was thinking of taking my OEM spare out from under the TB, just to clear up some space, and weight...since it's going to be a different size anyway, and I always carry tire plugs and patches anyway. Most of my driving is local for now, but when I'm going back and forth to school, and if I get a full size spare, that would be the perfect tool.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,055 Posts
Yet again, another cool toy from the Roadie, lol. I just ordered my wheels and tires, although only 4 of them. I might get a spare one day, but for now, it's just the 4. I was thinking of taking my OEM spare out from under the TB, just to clear up some space, and weight...since it's going to be a different size anyway, and I always carry tire plugs and patches anyway. Most of my driving is local for now, but when I'm going back and forth to school, and if I get a full size spare, that would be the perfect tool.
Have you checked the spare tire lowering mechanism lately? When I got my 33's, I asked the shop to drop the spare to take the tire off (I wanted the wheel for future use).

Well the mechanism was completely seized, they had to cut it off with a torch. Not a good thing if its lowered, siezed, and then cannot be raised again with the wheel "dangling" under there.

They told me these types of mechanisms are notorious, not just with GM but with Ford and others.

AG

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Have you checked the spare tire lowering mechanism lately? When I got my 33's, I asked the shop to drop the spare to take the tire off (I wanted the wheel for future use).

Well the mechanism was completely seized, they had to cut it off with a torch. Not a good thing if its lowered, siezed, and then cannot be raised again with the wheel "dangling" under there.

They told me these types of mechanisms are notorious, not just with GM but with Ford and others.

AG
I was told to lube the sleeve once and a while. never done it. should probably see if my spare even comes off at this point...

that was from a mechanic that hates the way these spares are mounted

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,407 Posts
I notice your stock muffler is still alive :weird:

with all those offroad adventures I pictured at the side of the road or in a ditch:laugh:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

AG
I haven't really checked it much; once a while ago to see if it was the culpret of a suspicious noise. I work at Advance Auto, and every once in a while we'll get someone asking if we carry the spare tire hold down kits or whatever for factory cars (which we don't)...but I agree, they are fairly common to seize up. I couldn't imagine having a blow out, let alone on a rainy or snowing day...and crawling under the car to get what you think will be your savior, but turns out it's impossible to get...plus, most people don't keep track of the air pressure in their spares. More than once friends have called me with a flat, and their spare's were also too low on pressure to use.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I couldn't imagine having a blow out, let alone on a rainy or snowing day...and crawling under the car ...
...or being on a 30 degree rocky slope, with a bead blown off the rim, and having to lift the truck to get at the spare underneath, then jack up the tire to change it. Or, as I did the first long offroad I did in the desert mud - get it stuck down to the frame rails without carrying a Hilift or mud base. I didn't need the spare that day, but it would have been impossible to get at anyway. Best thing for that low-down location is an armored aux. gas tank. I did calculations once that 15 gallons could easily be carried where the spare is.
I notice your stock muffler is still alive :weird:
You should see the bottom of the resonator. I've smacked it on rocks enough to push it up to a much better position. After I get the custom rear bumper, it will have a hole in the corner armor to run a new pipe through, just like 4 Wheeler magazine did with the Trail Lexus.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts