Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I have a 2003 Trailblazer EXT 2WD 4.2i with 118,000 miles.

I have a problem that has been plaguing my TB for several years.

Usually during the summer months, when we take off and press the gas pedal, we sometimes get a high revving sound. It has been more prevalent this year. I don't think it is the engine but it could be. It is a higher whinney revving sound. The more I press on the gas the faster revving it gets. However, the tach does not indicate any additional RPM's. TB moves forward but not nearly as fast as it should. Then, in about anywhere from 10-60 seconds, I can feel the engine kick in and it goes back to the normal engine revving sound and it starts to accelerates normally. But during this 10 - 60 second time frame, the TB does accelerates but very slowly. The operating temp is normal but my wife and daughter who drive it most are now saying the operating temperature is going up past normal.

(Thinking about this when I was writing this, instead of time, the revving may stop when we get to a certain speed. The reason I say that is that the other day I had to park on the top floor of a parking garage and it happened all the way up to the top of the parking garage.)

Most noticeably this happens during the hotter part of the year and we live in Phoenix. But it has happened during the cooler months but not nearly as often.

I really want to get this fixed as my wife is now wanting to get rid of the TB and of course I want to keep it.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you need any more information to help diagnose this issue, please let me know and I will provide it.

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
975 Posts
Its the fan clutch and it sounds like its woprking as normal . The fan clutch will kick in and provide extra cooling and it does add some power drag whenj it does kick in . I assume it could be running a lot if you live in phoenix where it is constantly over 100 degrees . To me it sounds almost normal in a hot climate , otherwise replacing the fan clutch would probably help . They also sometimes roar when started first thing in the morning for maybe 30 seconds until the fluid settles out .

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Something else to pay attention to, does it act "lazy" in any particular gear when it's doing this? I know you said it may stop at a certain speed, but see if you notice it goes away when the transmission shifts to the next gear. :m2:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its the fan clutch and it sounds like its woprking as normal . The fan clutch will kick in and provide extra cooling and it does add some power drag whenj it does kick in . I assume it could be running a lot if you live in phoenix where it is constantly over 100 degrees . To me it sounds almost normal in a hot climate , otherwise replacing the fan clutch would probably help . They also sometimes roar when started first thing in the morning for maybe 30 seconds until the fluid settles out .
I have to respectfully disagree with you, this is not normal behavior. The acceleration and more importantly the power is diminished by over 90+% when this occurs. It occurs over and over as this happens, we drive normally and then the next stop when we take off again, it happens over and over. Finally at some point, which I have yet to determine, it will not do it at all.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1 Posts
I've been having the same issues with my 06 Trailblazer Ext 4.2i for a while now. I think it is the camshaft actuator solenoid. Brought it to the dealer while under warranty and was fixed for a little while. Mine also seemed to get better when the oil was changed.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
We had the same issue. Took to our local mechanic, replaced the Camshaft Phaser. This fixed the issue.. .. ..for a while. That was in 2009. But, it's back. Not sure that was truly the issue. We would be open to any additional insight. From reading the thread so far - seems to be some debate on the best potential issue. Thanks to All.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer
2 Posts
Does anyone have any new info?

MIne started two weeks ago ('07 TB)... I got a code that led me to the Mass Airflow Sensor and the throttle body. I replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor and cleaned the throttle body - (yikes that had obviously never been done before). I ran it for a 100 miles to relearn and nothing... still doing it. The battery is disconnected now hoping for a hard reset, and I hope tomorrow to tell you it all works fine, otherwise, I am not sure what to do.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer
2 Posts
Does anyone have any new info?

MIne started two weeks ago ('07 TB)... I got a code that led me to the Mass Airflow Sensor and the throttle body. I replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor and cleaned the throttle body - (yikes that had obviously never been done before). I ran it for a 100 miles to relearn and nothing... still doing it. The battery is disconnected now hoping for a hard reset, and I hope tomorrow to tell you it all works fine, otherwise, I am not sure what to do.
Update:
Finally, I took it to the shop and turns out I was looking in all the wrong places... The code was solved with the throttle body cleaning and the hard reset did nothing. But, the mechanic diagnosed noise as a wheel hub about to die. Replaced the wheel hub and my TB is back to its glorious self.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts