Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
I am using LEDs, but be careful of the quality of LEDs you use. His seem too intricate and less durable for me given there cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just swapped mine out for l.e.d. so much less hassle. plug and play for the most part. led technology has come along way and with it the price has gone down as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I am buying both brand new headlight assemblies would 10000k led bulbs be bright enough?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i installed 6000k color 5000 lumens. as a set mine stated 10k but it is for 2 bulbs so divide by 2. i replaced low and high with 5k lumens. extremely bright especially if you are used to the sylvania and fogged lenses. i will try to post a pic after dark.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong.... but HIDs are not found behind plastic lenses..... right?

They're too damned hot to not melt the plastic.
I may be wrong here.
I might NOT be wrong .... let's see what others say.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've trimmed tabs... not for HIDs.... but to put a stronger halogen bulb into low beam. Yes.... it can be done I guess.

Are these HIDs you're talking about... HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE bulbs? Are you installing the whole motor/aiming system too? I'm tired of having someone installing used bulbs from the junkyard that were in the high beam mode and without the drive system, they can't be set to low beam.

There may be some new technology to allow hi-lo beams without all the support system to which I am not aware. Hopefully, anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are just the halogen headlight bulbs thinking I may buy LEDs make them alot brighter what do you guys think

·
Registered
457 Posts
Which ones are the Halogens? Inners or outers?

Either way - do they have lenses or Fresnels on them to focus the light in a decent direction and not up into people's eyes?

I love powerful lighting - but it has to be controlled or focused - that's the old California State Brake/Lamp/Smog Inspector in me rising to the surface.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Looks good.

I use the standard incandescent bulbs by GM and added small LEDs on the running light circuit, via a relay ... which is really not necessary since the old units took 'way more current that the LEDs do.

I also added the DDLs - the amber ones. Amber lights up front are full of mixed legalities and some police or highway patrol have little to no knowledge of the laws concerning them.

As the FEDERAL law stands, there really isn't a true lumen-limit to ambers until they are obnoxious to oncoming traffic but they can be run 24/7 if you like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
finally got the pics for you
the LEDs i installed are on the side of the "bulb" which are then redirected forward. i.e. they can blind you if you are in the beam, but that area is very small, have yet to have anyone flash me.

20200427_215253.jpg

low beam ^ 5k x2
20200427_215300.jpg

low and fog ^ 5k x 2 + 1.2k x 2
20200427_215310.jpg

high beam ^ 5k x 2 (focused beam)
20200427_215357.jpg

From the front low and fog ^
hope that gives some perspective.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it true that hid headlight bulbs work better than led headlight bulbs in projector headlights any input is helpful before I order bulbs

·
Registered
8 Posts
im not super familiar with HIDs, i picked led for ease of install, price, and lower draw/heat + i don't think they need to be brighter. 👍 Also no need for ballast or relay.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts