Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my HID lights in for about 2 years now. Last night, one of the low beams changed to a purple color.

I found a thread where this happened to another member, and swapped bulbs as recommended in that thread.

So, this rules out a ballast issue. The only visual difference was that the "good" bulb had a hint of a yellowish color in the bubble thing in the middle. The "bad" bulb was clear.

Do all HID bulbs have these connectors? The vendor that I bought these from is no longer on this site, and I would rather support our HID vendor if I can.

Thanks for viewing. Inb4 glare city or get projectors.:cool:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
51 Posts
Hmm thats strange..My good bulb is clear in the center and my blown one tired silverish...I'll be watching this thread to see what comes of it.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
I have had my HID lights in for about 2 years now. Last night, one of the low beams changed to a purple color.

I found a thread where this happened to another member, and swapped bulbs as recommended in that thread.

So, this rules out a ballast issue. The only visual difference was that the "good" bulb had a hint of a yellowish color in the bubble thing in the middle. The "bad" bulb was clear.

Do all HID bulbs have these connectors? The vendor that I bought these from is no longer on this site, and I would rather support our HID vendor if I can.

Thanks for viewing. Inb4 glare city or get projectors.:cool:
The connectors on the bulbs should be all the same. I found some on ebay for $26USD shipped(D2S 8000K) for my projector retrofits. They have been going strong for a year now. Once they're out I'd probably buy from the ebay seller. I'm at work right now and will find out who the ebay seller is.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
Not to threadjack, but when you buy replacement bulbs you don't have to go with the same color correct? Like right now I have 6000K and love them, but lets say next summer they go out and I decide I want 5000K, they would work fine right?

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Not to threadjack, but when you buy replacement bulbs you don't have to go with the same color correct? Like right now I have 6000K and love them, but lets say next summer they go out and I decide I want 5000K, they would work fine right?
The bulbs is what determines the color, not the ballast. so ifyou wanted to go with 5000k, make sure the bulbs are of that color. ballasts don't need to be changed!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
432 Posts
Yup, and believe me I have a lot of hours on mine.
I think it is similar to when fluorescent bulbs start to go bad... Eventually, the gas escapes. And for HIDs, the time varies (usually pretty long) but I think it's when the gas gets out. Could also be the electrodes going bad though. Just normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
45 Posts
everything you wanted to know about HID:
http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=973

I'll quote:
>>
Colorshifting

HID capsules undergo a process known as colorshifting. This first 100 hours may have the light producing a more yellow looking color -- this is completely normal and safe.

After the first 100 hours of operation, the salts will begin to change their color slightly as they are "broken in". By the time the 500 hour mark is reached, the color will have shifted up by as much as 250k to around 4350k. The coloring will be slightly more blue.

Color****ing will continue until the capsules no longer function. The shifting is extremely gradual and low. Even after 1500 hours, the color will only have shifter to 4600k, and to 5000k in 2500 hours. (2500 hours is equivalent to roughly 5 years of use)

You may have seen HID systems with extreme colorshift already. Early HID systems, such as on the Lincoln Mark VIII and Acura TL, might be appearing purple or pink as of late 2007. These systems are more than 6 years old.

Along with this colorshift comes a reduction in the number of lumens, but don't panic -- the decrease is very small. Below is a simple table of the approximate decrease in light output at given intervals. This is merely an approximation, as some systems may wear out more quickly than others.

0 hours = 3200 lumens (100%)

200 hours = 2880 lumens (90%)

1000 hours = 2560 lumens (80%)

1500 hours = 2400 lumens (75%)

2000 hours = 2240 lumens (70%)

So even after 4 or 5 years, a typical HID system will still be putting out double the light of a halogen bulb.

<<

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Color****ing will continue until the capsules no longer function. The shifting is extremely gradual and low. Even after 1500 hours, the color will only have shifter to 4600k, and to 5000k in 2500 hours. (2500 hours is equivalent to roughly 5 years of use)
Owned by the wordfilter:laugh:

This color change literally happened overnight.

I put my fogs in around the same time as the lows, but I hardly ever use them, and in comparison the lows are (were) a little bluer then the fogs, which I guess is normal colorshift.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Mister Purple crapped out for good last week.

I decided to go with 4300s for better night vision.

Comparison:

Wooters.

I can't wait to try these out tonight. I'll eventually swap out the fogs for 4300s.

EDIT: Tried them out tonight. Cash.

Lows.

Lows with silverstar highs.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Im going to swap the low and fog HIDs from my 02 to my SS this weekend, probably do it wed or thurs morning. Ordering a set of replacement bulbs for my old (original) HID kit so I can give my mom the 02 with HIDs. She hates driving the SS without them so I figure $25 for replacement bulbs is worth it.

Heck, you can get HID kits for less than $50 shipped off ebay now!!! Guess what my car buddies are getting for Christmas this year!

·
Registered
chevy
287 Posts
i am gettin this yellow color shifting in only my passenger side hid, even when i switch it over it follows to the driver, is it weird that only one side is color shifting??? I am running 8k's that i bought from the local speed shop

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
i am gettin this yellow color shifting in only my passenger side hid, even when i switch it over it follows to the driver, is it weird that only one side is color shifting??? I am running 8k's that i bought from the local speed shop
Same here, and no I dont thinks its weird that only one side is shifting. It does suck though. Anyone have a spare 6000k bulb they want to donate. Ill pay shipping :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts