Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted about a month ago that I was going to buy a 2005 TB for $1500. It has 116,000miles. The reason it was so cheap is that the dealer told the guy that it needed a new front differential.

I finally got around to looking at it and here are some pics of what I found. It looks like the front diff is leaking from where it connects to the driver's side wheel. I stuck my finger into the fill hole and couldn't feel any oil in there. I figure I need to drain whatever is left in there and see if there are any metal pieces, but it looks fine through the fill hole.

What do you guys think. I am thinking I should be good if I just fix the leak and fill. How hard is this to fix? Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
Very minimum put some oil in there temporarily to get you by for now. Have you priced this out at the dealership or trusted local mechanic to give you an order of magnitude?

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
It's junk... You want to sell it to me for $1800, I'll even pick it up...

In reality, best case, it's a $5 seal, worst case it's a $300 front diff from a junk yard, and a weekend install in your driveway...

Just put some oil in the diff, and see how long it takes to go down... If you've got to add oil to the diff every oil change, I'd leave it... If it's more often, I'd change the seal...

Mike

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Is there a pronounced grove in the shaft or is it smooth?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to fix this myself if possible. I don't currently drive it, so I am not worried about getting by for now.
I want to fix it before I start driving it. I am hoping it is just the seal and not the differential. How can I know if the diff is bad? It didn't make any noise when I drove it a few weeks ago.

Is there a pronounced grove in the shaft or is it smooth?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, what part is it in the pics?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
182 Posts
I think he means the axle shaft. If the seal was real bad or had junk in it then it would have worn a groove in the shaft where it contacts the seal. This would make a new seal still leak.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, ok. I don't think it is. I am going to try to remove it this weekend and see what it looks like and also maybe get a better look at the inside of the differential. It doesnt make noise so I hope it looks ok. If all looks good, I bought the seal to replace it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
The seal is a dealer only item. Easy to remove and replace.

Just stick synthetic 75W-90 gear lube back in when you are done.

Not a big deal. They commonly leak. But if it was run dry on oil, you will have to replace the front diff at some point. Looking at the gear in the one pic suggests that it has not burned up yet.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
33 Posts
im experiencing a similar leak and found the front diff fluid to be low. is it ok to drive it with the oil low if your in normal 2wd drive driving?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
21 Posts
The seal is a dealer only item. Easy to remove and replace.

Just stick synthetic 75W-90 gear lube back in when you are done.

Not a big deal. They commonly leak. But if it was run dry on oil, you will have to replace the front diff at some point. Looking at the gear in the one pic suggests that it has not burned up yet.

Mark you say its east to remove and replace. I have a 03 TB and this weekend I checked my Front Diff and noticed it was low and really dirty. I think this is first time its ever been checked at 65000. I sprayed some carb cleaner in there to flush out dirt or metal shavings and the fluid would leak out the bottom of the diff. Maybe thats why my fluid was low in first place. And I would here some noise while 4wd was activated.
Do you have some kind of HOW to for changing that gasket? I looked at it and I have never removed the CV or Axle thing that attaches from Front Diff to wheel.

Thanks
Frank

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
As far as I know, the differential case halves are sealed by sealer, not a gasket. Not an easy repair at all, since you have to remove the oil pan to remove the diff. The outer CV shaft seal is easier, if you have the right tools and some seal-replacing experience. You might benefit from looking at the Haynes manual to see what you think. There are some threads with pictures here on the site you can find with a search.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Mark you say its east to remove and replace. I have a 03 TB and this weekend I checked my Front Diff and noticed it was low and really dirty. I think this is first time its ever been checked at 65000. I sprayed some carb cleaner in there to flush out dirt or metal shavings and the fluid would leak out the bottom of the diff. Maybe thats why my fluid was low in first place. And I would here some noise while 4wd was activated.
Do you have some kind of HOW to for changing that gasket? I looked at it and I have never removed the CV or Axle thing that attaches from Front Diff to wheel.

Thanks
Frank
Frank:

What is easy to remove and replace is the seal. That's what I was referring to, although "easy" is a relative term, and if you don't have any experience in removing and replacing seals, you might not find it easy at all! :crazy:

I would never just spray brake or carb cleaner into a differential. Never. You might not get it all out, and when you put new fluid in, you will contaminate it, and so you'll have to change it very soon afterwards to be safe.

As The Roadie says, the case halves are not gasketed, so if you are leaking at the seam, you're in trouble. But all is not lost, if you want to run a bit of a risk. I'd thoroughly clean the seam area, half an inch on both sides, and rough the area up with 220 grit sandpaper. Then I'd get an RTV that is highly rated for it's ability to grip, and I'd smear a layer about an eighth of an inch thick over the seam, and let it cure.

Odds are that doing so will seal your leak and if you don't do any off-roading, or much dirt roading, it will probably last and last. You can easily check it by peering under occasionally, and by examining it closely at each oil change.

This will be far cheaper than removing the differential, separating and re-sealing the case halves. Besides, if you are hearing noises in there when in 4HI, then the damage may already be done and you'll be removing it soon anyway, if you want 4WD. But if you don't use it and don't need it, just fill it with differential fluid, run it a bit, change it, and then forget about it except to check for leaks.

That's what I'd do. But then again, I'm cheap.

You remove the axle by getting a long bar/drift and, with everything disconnected outboard, get under the truck and take your long bar/drift, and a big hammer, and rest the long bar/drift on the big cast iron piece close to the seal, and hammer outward. One or two good blows with the hammer will get it to pop loose. Sounds complicated, but it is very easy.

Watch out that you don't do this :bonk: with the hammer. :dielaugh:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
Mine was pulled out at the dealer and the case was split and resealed. Seemed to be a lot of work, but was under warranty. It only had 45000 miles on it at the time.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Similar Issue,

I was told by the dealer that my front differential carrier was leaking. There is no oil on skid plate nor on garage floor. There is a little "weeping" on boot leading to rear diff. He said wasn't major leak, but would be $1400 to repair. How do you check the fluid? Don't want to start loosening up something unless I'm in the right place. In the pictures above, there is a picture that shows an open hole with a gear showing - is this where I check? I'm use to rear diff with the opening bolt obvious. Thanks - Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was told by the dealer that my front differential carrier was leaking. There is no oil on skid plate nor on garage floor. There is a little "weeping" on boot leading to rear diff. He said wasn't major leak, but would be $1400 to repair. How do you check the fluid? Don't want to start loosening up something unless I'm in the right place. In the pictures above, there is a picture that shows an open hole with a gear showing - is this where I check? I'm use to rear diff with the opening bolt obvious. Thanks - Steve
To check the level, it is the hole that is shown in the pic. That is the Fill plug. I usually fill until it is level with the bottom of the fill hole. I believe that is where the level should be at.

I ended up having to replace my entire front differential because it was leaking from where the two halfs are joined. This can be very expensive, if not done on your own. From what I have read here on Trailvoy, it seems the most common issue is the leak from the driver's side seal, which if you do it, should be very inexpensive.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
11 Posts
I bought my '03 tb for $1,500.00 as well, and the right side diff was trashed. $1,200.00 at the dealership for a junkyard diff and new half-shaft. It was making a grinding / clicking noise randomly when driving, but that stopped after the replacement. Mine now has 198,000 on it. Grinding in the rear diff when taking off. If you're not hearing noises, I'd replace the seal and drive it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Thanks

To check the level, it is the hole that is shown in the pic. That is the Fill plug. I usually fill until it is level with the bottom of the fill hole. I believe that is where the level should be at.

I ended up having to replace my entire front differential because it was leaking from where the two halfs are joined. This can be very expensive, if not done on your own. From what I have read here on Trailvoy, it seems the most common issue is the leak from the driver's side seal, which if you do it, should be very inexpensive.
Thanks for the assist, I don't see any leakage nor is there any noise, so I'll check the level and if not down, I may need to have a heart to heart with my dealer! Thanks again.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
6 Posts
Differential Leak - Question repair

Roadie or others,
I changed my Motor oil yesterday and I noticed the front transaxle has been leaking oil out of the driver side. It appears that it is leaking from the Axle shaft area and from what I gather on this forum, it might be a "Axle Shaft Seal". Is this easily replaced ? It looks like I'd need to pull the hub, pull the drive shaft, then pull the seal. Am I overlooking anything ? I'm looking for a illustration to see how much it involves. Can you shed some light on this ?
Thanx, Homeboy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts