Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a loss guys and could really use some help. I have a 2005 Trailblazer LS 2wd 4.2l 160k miles. I have searched high and low for my current condition and what I HAVE found is several people have chimed in with the same issues and no one has ever responded with a solution. ALL of this is intermittent, per the norm of these problems
  • No Modifications
  • Runs GREAT other than below listed problems
  • First ABS and Brake lights started coming on and going off intermittently
  • Problem started to get longer duration each time
  • Eventually Pass lock light came on
  • Now all gauges in dash read 0 and it is like the car has been shut off....except it still runs fine
  • Problem seems to be worse with higher humidity
I have changed battery,
changed ignition module,
cleaned grounds to frame under drivers door cleaned grounds under hood
purchased a side and top post battery to run EXTRA grounds to block and chassis
checked all fuses....3 times
unplugged onstar
changed ignition module again
My only avenue now is to start replacing PCM and BCM fuse boxes...etc.

I would appreciate any help!

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
110 Posts
This Sure Sounds Like What You Are Describing To Me.
I Know The Instrument Clusters Are An Issue And They Afflicted Many A GM Including Mine For The Stepper Motors But For What You Have Is Common As Well.

The Humidity Will Affect The Connector Giving Intermittent Conductivity Issues.....

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
25 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? It sounds a lot like my issue which turned out to be a bad Ignition Switch,. I started with intermittent traction Control Lights which occurred for over 6 months, then one day the ABS and Brake lights, Traction control lights all came on, and the HVAC controls and Cruise Control both quit working.
I replaced the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module), and reworked the ABS ground. No resolution, except there was no communication to the EBCM.
I replaced the ignition Switch, and the HVAC controls and Cruise Control started working, one of the Traction Control lights is now out, and the OBD II communication to the EBCM is working. ABS and Brake lights are still on, because the EBCM is throwing C0558 - Calibration Data not programmed. I'll try putting the old EBCM back on to see if that will work. If not I'll have to put the new EBCM back on and get a GM Dealer to program the new module.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? It sounds a lot like my issue which turned out to be a bad Ignition Switch,. I started with intermittent traction Control Lights which occurred for over 6 months, then one day the ABS and Brake lights, Traction control lights all came on, and the HVAC controls and Cruise Control both quit working.
I replaced the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module), and reworked the ABS ground. No resolution, except there was no communication to the EBCM.
I replaced the ignition Switch, and the HVAC controls and Cruise Control started working, one of the Traction Control lights is now out, and the OBD II communication to the EBCM is working. ABS and Brake lights are still on, because the EBCM is throwing C0558 - Calibration Data not programmed. I'll try putting the old EBCM back on to see if that will work. If not I'll have to put the new EBCM back on and get a GM Dealer to program the new module.
Hi y'all,
I have an issue with my instrument cluster, I think. Sometimes my check engine light comes on, stays on for about a week then goes off. The battery gauge will jump from 14 to 17, the traction light comes on intermittently and stays on, even though I am driving in a straight line and sometimes the lights will all come on. The gas gauge doesn't work and the low tire light is ALWAYS on. Now, a month after the first oil change I got done, the check oil light is on. I got this 07 tb during covid in August 2020 and it only had 100 miles on the oil change so I changed oil after 3k miles. I had them put the same oil as was put in before at the same place. I am a girl but I believe they may have overfilled cuz dipstick looks over full mark 3x in a row. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
25 Posts
Hi y'all,
I have an issue with my instrument cluster, I think. Sometimes my check engine light comes on, stays on for about a week then goes off. The battery gauge will jump from 14 to 17, the traction light comes on intermittently and stays on, even though I am driving in a straight line and sometimes the lights will all come on. The gas gauge doesn't work and the low tire light is ALWAYS on. Now, a month after the first oil change I got done, the check oil light is on. I got this 07 tb during covid in August 2020 and it only had 100 miles on the oil change so I changed oil after 3k miles. I had them put the same oil as was put in before at the same place. I am a girl but I believe they may have overfilled cuz dipstick looks over full mark 3x in a row. Any suggestions?
I don't have any experience working on the instrument panel gauges. The traction light coming on and off could be similar to my experience when the traction lights would come on on cold mornings, but shut off after I stopped at the convienience stare a mile or so from the house. Eventually they stayed on more and more, and then the ABS light and the traction lights were on continually. That was resolved by replacing the ignition switch. The switch only cost about $30, and could be replaced in less than an hour by removing the bottom cover around the steering column and using a couple of screw drivers to slide the switch out.
The check engine light coming on and off could be a loose gas cap. Be sure to tighten the gas cap at least 3 clicks after you fuel up. Stop by a car parts store that reads engine codes for free when the light comes on, If the code is for a small emissions leak its generally a gas cap, either loose or worn.

The low tire light means it's probably time to replace the TPMS sensor in the tires, but before spending money on that, be sure you can initiate a TPMS relearn procedure as described in the owners manual. Apparently sometimes the relearn process won't start and then replacing the TPMS sensors won't be useful, The TPMS sensors have batteries in them and fail sometime after 5 years or so. That light won't hurt anything if you don't fix it, just keep an eye on your tires.

You need to keep an eye on the oil change places! A bit over full on the oil is better than them forgetting to put oil in, or stripping or over tightening the oil drain plug. If it happens again, be sure to alert the manager.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have any experience working on the instrument panel gauges. The traction light coming on and off could be similar to my experience when the traction lights would come on on cold mornings, but shut off after I stopped at the convienience stare a mile or so from the house. Eventually they stayed on more and more, and then the ABS light and the traction lights were on continually. That was resolved by replacing the ignition switch. The switch only cost about $30, and could be replaced in less than an hour by removing the bottom cover around the steering column and using a couple of screw drivers to slide the switch out.
The check engine light coming on and off could be a loose gas cap. Be sure to tighten the gas cap at least 3 clicks after you fuel up. Stop by a car parts store that reads engine codes for free when the light comes on, If the code is for a small emissions leak its generally a gas cap, either loose or worn.

The low tire light means it's probably time to replace the TPMS sensor in the tires, but before spending money on that, be sure you can initiate a TPMS relearn procedure as described in the owners manual. Apparently sometimes the relearn process won't start and then replacing the TPMS sensors won't be useful, The TPMS sensors have batteries in them and fail sometime after 5 years or so. That light won't hurt anything if you don't fix it, just keep an eye on your tires.

You need to keep an eye on the oil change places! A bit over full on the oil is better than them forgetting to put oil in, or stripping or over tightening the oil drain plug. If it happens again, be sure to alert the manager.
Tysm! I took the TV back to where I had oil changed and he put it on big diagnostic machine. He came back to tell me that the oil light was off now. He said that it was just a reminder to have the oil changed. I said why did it come on AFTER I just had it changed? He said he didn't know but to make it go off all he had to do was pump the gas 3x and then start it to reset it. Was also told that I need fuel pump to fix gas gauge,(bad oil sending unit). Also, it is running lean because I need a nipple on some intake valve. I will try ignition switch for lights on Instrument panel. Y'all are so helpful and I am grateful that my question to google landed me on y'alls forum! Teri:)

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
25 Posts
Tysm! I took the TV back to where I had oil changed and he put it on big diagnostic machine. He came back to tell me that the oil light was off now. He said that it was just a reminder to have the oil changed. I said why did it come on AFTER I just had it changed? He said he didn't know but to make it go off all he had to do was pump the gas 3x and then start it to reset it. Was also told that I need fuel pump to fix gas gauge,(bad oil sending unit). Also, it is running lean because I need a nipple on some intake valve. I will try ignition switch for lights on Instrument panel. Y'all are so helpful and I am grateful that my question to google landed me on y'alls forum! Teri:)
The oil change light on these models are mileage based, not any sort of oil quality sensing going on here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts