Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be driving the trailblazer here soon, once the wife gets her new car--anyway I am wanting to replace the radio--I am wanting something that will play the ipod--any stereos you recommed? also any recommendations on where to get the kit cheap? i have read about a problem keeping the chime--any info on that would be great too.

thanks

·
Banned
4,511 Posts
Almost any radio is going to have the aux input for any mp3 player. There are lotsa good brands out there, A few I like are Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, Panasonic. I would prefer the first three, but see what you can find.

Do you have onstar and/or bose?

Here is a general rundown of the harness's you can use:

70-2003 - standard harness you can use if you do not have bose, you can use if you have onstar, but onstar will not work, this will not retain door chimes, and you must wire the accessory (12V red wire)to ignition

GMRC-01 Retains door chimes, can use if you have onstar, but onstar will not work, non bose

GMOS-01 Retains door chimes and onstar if you use it, non bose

GMOS-04 retains door chimes, onstar, and is the adaptor for bose

For the dash kit, I prefer the metra 99-3301 its an iso mount kit that looks nicer then the 99-2003 (imo) and you will want the metra gm10 antenna adapter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you--any place you would recommend getting all of these--my car is a non bose and a non on star. I am probably going to get a double din stereo.

·
Banned
4,511 Posts
If you are going to go with a double din radio, get a 99-2003 kit, it has the brackets to put a DD unit in.

My first recommendation would be your local car audio shop, they might be a little pricier then an online store, but with the help and support they are able to give you, I think it's fair to help their store out in return. Most of the time the shops have an awesome warranty policy, mine for example if something happens to the radio, bring it back and we will give you a new one, no need to send it out for service and wait for 4+ weeks. We also wont charge for shipping.

If local doesn't work for you, onlinecarstereo.com usually has some good deals on radios n such

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
314 Posts
i like the pioneer brand decks. my last three decks have been pioneer premier and i live them.

As was stated buying from a local shop is great for the warranty and local help but if you want to save some money now and trust that the product will work. i use millionbuy.com and sonicelectronix.com they don't have the 09 model stuff but everything is new and just of last two year models. usually half the price of the local shops in my area.

don't get the scoshe door chime wire kit spend the money get the metra i went cheap on that and wish i didn't.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
always preferred pioneer myself so i got the f90bt great Ipod interface in my opinion

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the help guys--I will check out the websites--anyway if you have a specific model you recommend let me know--I really do not need the dvd--I just want the double din to take up the big space

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
if it does everything you want go for it. i would go with the pioneer. its an extra $70 you get extra features like bluetooth,rear usb hook up, comes with ipod hook up. I have made the mistake on getting a cheaper deck and saving the money then seeing an option (bluetooth) that i really liked and going buying another deck because mine didnt have it. It is also cheaper to buy it with it built in then to buy the add on later.
but its whatever you like.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
Pioneer Premier FH-P800BT

Its a Double Din with all th ebells and whistles minus DVD. The built in blue tooth is great i love it just takes a little playing to figure out how to use it. But is great.

http://www.millionbuy.com/piofhp800bt.html $279 (i have used them before and have no complaints)

http://www.ikesound.com/product-exec/product_id/7506/nm/Pioneer+FH-P800BT $249 ( have never used them)
if you don't need a DVD then go for this one....

my buddy has one,......and if i could convince the gf to spend the cash, i would too :D

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
154 Posts
head unit

well if you looking for the best head unit out it would be clarion. its pretty much on how much u want to spend and what ur going to run thru that head unit

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i am only going to use it with the stock speakers--i am just wanting to use my ipod--back in the day I was a big kenwood guy, but I am not looking for the best thing out there--the JVC head unit that i gave a link to I have found for 125 shipped to my door--that is why i asked what you guys thought of it.--i am still looking so if you have a specific model let me know

·
Registered
154 Posts
well if your not looking for high end sound just standard good quality sound alpine would be the next choice then kenwood or pioneer are in the same bracket. when you do order the company should have accessories to go along with it for fitting it in the tb .

·
Registered
154 Posts
for me and my thoughts jvc is just throwing your money it ranks up there with jenson or sony most all head units now a days have the aux for ipods look for a good kenwood or pioneer for a good quality. you do know your speakers impedance is going be different when u put the aftermarket unit thats if u like bass high amp outage inthe head unit then factory but lateron you will need to replace the speakers since there pretty much made out of thin paper. its all on how loud and what u listen too. i have alot of kids come into my shop thinking there head will make there factory speakers sound better. to a point ur highs will but never ur low freq.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
is there any model you can recommend--what do you think of the clarion that I posted a link to. I am looking to stay under 200--this is just my daily driver.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
88 Posts
Back to the harness question...when I was installing my radio, the auto audio guy told me that the 06 and up Trailblazers as well as Chevrolet trucks have the diagnostic system for the computer run through the stock radio unit. He said you have to buy an adapter that compensates for that so that all the diagnostics would still run...is this true?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts