Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am CLUELESS.......

I just got 2 12's (Infinity Reference 1242w) in individual sealed boxes (Im gonna put them in the rear cargo, one on each side facing each other)

and I had an older amp sitting around (Power Acoustik SPL 1200Watt) which I know is not the best of amps

Here are the specs before I go ahead and ask my question

each sub is:
12" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils
polypropylene woofer cone with large-roll rubber surround
innovative basket design
progressive spider improves control during extreme cone movement
frequency response: 23-400 Hz
power range: 60-300 watts RMS (150 watts per voice coil)
peak power: 1200 watts

and the amp is:
SPL Series XL2-1200 Two-Channel 1200 Watt Amp
• Bridged Max Power: 1200 Watts
• RMS @ 4 Ohms: 250X 2
• RMS @ 2 Ohms: 300 X 2
• RMS BRIDGED POWER 600 WATT 4ohm
•PWM CIRCUTRY
• Full Selectable Crossover hpf / Full / lpf
• Three Way Protection Circuit
• 2 Ohm Stable Stereo 4 OHM MONO
• Tri-Mode Capable
• Variable Low Pass 40Hz-250Hz
• Variable Hi Pass 40Hz-250hz
• 18dB Bass Boost @ 45Hz.
• Frequency Response: 10Hz to 30Khz
• S/N Ratio: 97 db
• THD: 0.02%

My question is:
Since im looking for a good deep bass, should I keep this amp. or replace is with something better? And I would appreciate ANY good amplifier recommendations for these particular subs. Thanks:tiphat

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Since im looking for a good deep bass, should I keep this amp. or replace is with something better? And I would appreciate ANY good amplifier recommendations for these particular subs. Thanks:tiphat
personally I would would try the amp you have first

if your itchin to buy a new amp, we're gonna need a budget

inb4 haters

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
198 Posts
personally I would would try the amp you have first

if your itchin to buy a new amp, we're gonna need a budget

inb4 haters
:iagree: I always try first, what I have laying around. Then go from there.

If you liked it before, you should still like it. Just be sure you parallel the coils.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
346 Posts
Well, each sub is 150rms, so youll want a MINIMUM of 300watts of 4ohm power. You have dual 4ohm subs, so youll either run 4ohm or 1ohm load (which Id run 4ohm because you arent pushing tons of power).

Cadence makes some good amps, and theres are generally rated OVER what they claim. Here is one right at 300 watt if you are tight on cash
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=21514

Or go up a little bit:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=21515

This will also give you headroom if you want to upgrade your subs later as you could go w/ dual 2ohm subs and wire to 2ohm for more power.

Here is a PG that would suit you thats a little cheaper as well:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17534

·
Registered
65 Posts
if i recall reference series subs are 300rms each give or take call it 600 for the pair. wire em parallel, series for a final load of 4ohms your amp does 600 at 4ohms so as long as its a half way decent amp it woudl be great

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Well, each sub is 150rms, so youll want a MINIMUM of 300watts of 4ohm power. You have dual 4ohm subs, so youll either run 4ohm or 1ohm load (which Id run 4ohm because you arent pushing tons of power).

Cadence makes some good amps, and theres are generally rated OVER what they claim. Here is one right at 300 watt if you are tight on cash
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=21514

Or go up a little bit:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=21515

This will also give you headroom if you want to upgrade your subs later as you could go w/ dual 2ohm subs and wire to 2ohm for more power.

Here is a PG that would suit you thats a little cheaper as well:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17534

cadence sells their refurbs on their site, they are cheaper and they come with a 2 year factory warranty. and amazon is selling pheonix gold for the cheap.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
i have no persoanl experice with pheonix gold. i go on what other people tell me. the only thing ive heard about them are that their RSD comps are the best for the price, but they still lack midbass and can get harsh, but for the price you cannot much better.

other than that thats all i know about them.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
I would buy Phoenix Gold any day of the week over anything else except for one line which is the Ryval Amps. When PG got bought out by Rodin, they were forced to make a very cheap amp to try and get some of that market.

However, if you have a chance to buy any other line from PG then I would say yea go for it. They are great amps and worth the money.

I personally have 7 PG amps that I am unfortunately going to have to start selling some of due to money issues.:(

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
111 Posts
Some good points have been made here, and for your ~300 you can get a decent amp.

First, you have two dual 4ohm subs, which means you can wire the subs to 2 ohms or 8 ohms each. If you wire the subs together, you'll end up with a total impedance of 4 ohms or 1 ohm. Many sub amps are only stable down to 2 ohms, so be very careful here.

Your current amp isn't a high end unit, but the price is right, so give it a try. Wire the subs together for a 4ohm load, which (according to your specs) will get 600w from your current amp. That's perfect, at least on paper. You might be very happy with that. Do that before shopping for a new amp.

If you're trigger happy to buy yourself a new amp just to have something a little nicer, the phoenix gold amps (though not what they once were) are a good buy. I think someone already pointed out to NOT buy the Ryval line though, those are crap. The RSD line is decent enough, or if you can get one of the older Xenon amps you'd have a great unit.

You'll want to shop for either a 1 ohm stable amp that can push 600w @ 1ohm, or an amp that can push 600w @ 4ohms. Class A/B amps have their virtues, but in general you're better off getting a mono sub amp for this sort of thing.

Other amps with which I've had good experiences - Alpine, JL Audio, Rockford, US Amps. I haven't had good experiences with MTX, Kenwood, Pioneer, or a range of generic stuff. Try your current amp out at 4ohms and see if you're happy. If not, do some shopping with the 4ohm rms load in mind at see what you can find for your money.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Other amps with which I've had good experiences - Alpine, JL Audio, Rockford, US Amps. I haven't had good experiences with MTX, Kenwood, Pioneer, or a range of generic stuff. Try your current amp out at 4ohms and see if you're happy. If not, do some shopping with the 4ohm rms load in mind at see what you can find for your money.
i have had good experience with mtx, pushed my icon pretty well for a few months, also good experience with alpine. bout the only thing ive been disappointed with was my zapco iForce.

i agree, try your current amp, if you dont like it get a new one.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
121 Posts
I can get you an RD Audio amp 850.1 for about $400. KILLER amp and very efficient. I'm an authorized dealer for many brands.

This amp is perfectly stable at 1 ohm and will run that daily without problems. I've put this amp in many customer's cars and never had a complaint.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts