Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got sick of the rear seat today. Waste of a couple hundreds pounds of steel and leather. So I took it out.

Of course I've got to put in a carpeted platform. One item I know is going in there is an Engel 45 quart fridge, which is in transit now from Florida:

So what else should go in there for the well-equipped expeditionist besides the obvious second deep-discharge battery to run the fridge?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,055 Posts
Wow, lots of room now :undecided :undecided :undecided

How 'bout a recessed area (with tie downs) for a large water bottle:

Then all you need is a Dolphin Pump

and you are set for those long expeditions. (We had this setup for a 2 week journey back in 99/2000 from Sydney to Uluru to Alice Springs and back)

AG

·
Registered
917 Posts
Wow, lots of room now :undecided :undecided :undecided

How 'bout a recessed area (with tie downs) for a large water bottle:

Then all you need is a Dolphin Pump

and you are set for those long expeditions. (We had this setup for a 2 week journey back in 99/2000 from Sydney to Uluru to Alice Springs and back)

AG
Or you could have custom water tanks to be built in the old foot space of the seat and then cover them to have the whole back area flat from the trunk to the back of your front row seats.

Or use the foot space for couple of jerry cans for gas underneath the platform...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
142 Posts
Maybe you could dedicate a small section to survival gear like flintsticks, water purifier, fish hooks and high test line, etc. You know, just in case. :worried:

I really like the fridge too.

·
Registered
872 Posts
A lot of uneven surfaces back there. If you build a false floor to level it out make sure you have access to the fuse box. I don't know why I'm telling you that, I'm sure you were already well aware of it. :D

What's under that cover on the pass. side? I don't remember having that in my TB. I think the jack was there, but it wasn't covered.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
What's under that cover on the pass. side? I don't remember having that in my TB. I think the jack was there, but it wasn't covered.
Onstar I believe.

And Roadie has a Jack-all so no need for the wimpy factory jack.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,055 Posts
Or you could have custom water tanks to be built in the old foot space of the seat and then cover them to have the whole back area flat from the trunk to the back of your front row seats.

Or use the foot space for couple of jerry cans for gas underneath the platform...

Actually there was a write up on expeditionportal.com about a vehicle with a custom water tank built into the back, however, it needed an electric pump to access the water. I'm thinking the less things that rely on the battery(ies) the better, that's why the Dolphin Pump is so handy (works really well too).

AG

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd still put two jerry cans standing up right behind the front seats, that way rest of the uneven space could be covered with a platform with some additional storage underneath...
I wouldn't put jerry cans of gas inside the cab of the vehicle. :nono:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i like the idea of making it flat. make a custom box for sotrage with drawers or doors for access. that way its flat front rear of the seats to the back of the cargo area.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the ideas so far (well most of 'em). I did buy the Engel slide lock base to go on top of the platform I'll be building.

Their heavy duty slide-out solution costs like $240 and I'm sure I can find castoff ball bearing slides at work and make my own.

Gasoline will never go inside the truck, although I do carry about 2 gallons of Coleman naptha fuel, but transferred to a half-dozen well-gasketed fuel containers carried with spare oil and other fluids in one of the drawer units.

Part of one drawer in the back is already devoted to survival equipment - I'll post a full list soon. Water purifier filter, two flint/magnesium sticks, xenon emergency strobe light, snake bite kit, six different kinds of waterproof matches and butane lighters, etc.

The water idea is very good. I've been carrying one or two seven gallon cubical carriers. (Aqua-tainer)

but I really wanted something heavier-duty like the 20-gallon poly tank built into my pop-up trailer. They sell them at Camping World and all the RV stores, so I'll look into one that can go below the platform and not get punctured by anything I put on top. That's what worries me about the portable containers. Another option is a couple of the Scepter cans. Pretty indestructable. Adventure Trailers, another expeditionportal vendor, makes very nice holders for the Scepter fuel and water cans:

I don't worry about needing a 12V pump to get water out, since I already carry one of these for longer camping trips, and it comes with a pump:

Cylindrical water bottles offend my sense of efficient packing. :p Sorry Alek.

Thanks for the rest of the links as well, guys! Keep thinking!

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
Other than the fridge, what else are you trying to make room for? Just general camping gear? I was thinking that of an interchangeable kind of set up. A flat platform with easy access to the fuses and crap of course. but on the platform, I would use the same heavy duty drawer slides that I used, only layed flat as opposed to verticle. Then make a simple box that can be slid in and out through the door. I say a box because with your trail riding, you need to have stuff very well secured. Then, you can make different boxes to fit the same slides, for different applications. Like one for just trail rides, one for long distance travelling, one for everyday use. Well I am just saying make it so it can be adapted to whatever use.

Did any of this make sense?:D

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
I would work on finding a water storage system that would mount on the floorboard, right behind the front seats. You could build the false floor on top of it, flush mounted. You may be able to find some water tanks at a marine supply store. They have many odd designs to fit various storage areas in boats. This would free up some space plus give you a lower center of gravity.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I don't know if you have one already or not, but I'm the type that has to have my laptop wherever I go, so I would definitely have a power inverter perm-installed (going to do this eventually so I don't need to fumble with dc12 adapters and different chargers for stuff) and maybe run off an accessory battery depending on your needs. It would be kind of like having a generator, only not so noisy, lol. Just something to charge the cellphone, the laptop (which is my source of navigation via google earth), or whatever else you might bring a long with you, bug zapper maybe?

Oh, I definitely like the idea of a molded water container to fit that floor space, however you might want to make sure a leak or a break in the container doesn't introduce itself to your fuse box, so some kind of additional covering for the box might be handy. Other than that, the only issue is finding/making a molded container.

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
My only issue with the moded water tank, is that if you blow a fuse, you have to get that thing out!! A water tank is going to weigh a ton and be difficult to get in and out when full I would think. So you would be forced to maybe dump off some of your precious water for a simple blown fuse. :cool:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I would just try to make the water tank molded around the fuse box instead of on top of it... I mean the floor space down there could probably hold about 10 gallons (rough estimate) and be flush with the rear end, but if it dodged the fuse box and was maybe level with the top/rear of the center console, he could have a good amount... I would think about some sort of double layered canvas sack and a water pouch, nothing contours a container more perfectly than a liquid besides a gas. A canvas or burlap sack to protect a durable plastic bag which holds all the water it can... He would just have to cover up anything that can puncture the bag, seat bolts, etc, easily done with some of that rubber coating stuff that comes in a can. The only problem then becomes the pump, a dolphin pump won't do the job. However, a syphon-type tube/squeeze pump inserted at the bottom of the bag would do it. :yes:

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
I think when you find the tank(s) that fit in the area AWAY from the electronics, you could stabilize them with a light weight metal frame. Also, the marine suppliers have electric pumps that can be used with these tanks. I had a 70 gallon fresh water tank in my Sea Ray with an electric pump. It worked great and never developed any leaks, and trust me, it took a pounding!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts