Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just want to first say wow. This site is awesome. I just got my Tblazer a month ago (05 LS with 38k on the clock). Planning on keeping it mostly stock for resale reasons. I am on my 3rd full tank of gas right now and am a little perplexed. My first full tank was on cheapo supermarket discount gas and I averaged a little over 16mpg. I was also driving it harder because i like to know what it can do. (kicks a$$ by the way) feels like a V-Ocho to me under the hood. My next tank was on Chevron Regular. I have always liked it and did really good for me with my last truck. I got a little over 13!!! Plus I started babying it a little: using the cruise while on the hwy slower acceleration, you know stuff like that. I was fed up so after looking on this site, found a lot good info about the usual culprits. T-body being dirty etc... So I dug into the engine bay and cracked open the air intake. The filter was fairly dusty. Not suprising. Ive seen worse but you never really know. Spark plugs are getting down there too. I pulled two of them to check some semi-consistency and they were just old looking. I planned on using the E3's (I guess I got caught up in the HORSEPOWER TV hype like everyone else). Ill probably just use the Delco Iridiums.

Heres the big one. I did check the T-body and there was some sludge built up. Not a lot but enough to urge me to pull the thing off. I did and got some crap out of it. Here's where I ran into trouble and I know some of you are going to piss your pants laughing at me but I could not get the power plug off of the stupid thing! Im pretty old school when it comes to wrenching and they did not teach plug removal in shop 101. Its the six wired plug not the one that looks like a vaccuum line. Anyway, I lifted up the little gray tab and did some light prying with a flathead. No luck. I didnt want to break the dang thing either and then have to explain to the wife why the new car needs repairs... Any help with my dilemma would be wonderful. Any other suggestions about my mpg problem would be gratefully appreciated as well.

Thanks for your help!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Typically on that variant of connector, the light gray (sometimes white) thing is a latch lock. You have to push or pull on a tang (not always possible to tell you what trick works on each variant), and then the latch lock will move back 1/4" or so. THEN you can push or pull on ANOTHER part of the black connector body to do the ultimate release.

In my experience, you can damage about 40% of the latch, lock, and clip features of those sorts of connectors and they'll still work fine for a decade. Folks worry FAR too much about breaking things. Good news is that once you break it, the way it was SUPPOSED to work will reveal itself :thumbsup: , and you'll know that trick for the future. So practice first on a friend's trailvoy if you can. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.:thx I did try that in the first place. I guess things always look better after stepping away for a bit. Ive been doing a lot of research about the seafoam stuff and the techron. ive tried fuel additives before, are they really that beneficial?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
130 Posts
I'll swear to Seafoam. It has always seemed to help me.
From what I've gathered on this site since I joined, these are the best parts and tricks for the tune-ups on our trucks:

AC Delco Iridium plugs.
K&N air filters.
Seafoam treatments of all kinds.
Cleaning throttle body.
Mobil1 full synt. oil seems to be a favorite around here also.

All the moderators on here are incredibly helpful, backed by the rest of the trailvoy members. And as always, The Roadie can answer pretty much anything. lol.

Welcome to TrailVoy :tiphat

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am definately going to give all those a shot. Not too sure about the mobil 1 and K&N. First off, the mobil 1. I know its good oil and all that, but I havent seen too much around here in regards to AMSoil. My last truck was an 05 silverado shorty with a v6. I worked part time for a diesel performance shop (shout out to Black Sheep Performance 4x4 in Great Falls MT!) and the owner there preached amsoil. I made the swap in the engine and tranny and within a week saw noticeable improvements. from about 16 to 18mpg mix highway/city driving. So just thought Id throw that out there.

Second, Im not completely sold on the K&N's. I know they offer better flow and all that greatness, but I know that there are filters out there that can do the same without the oil. Case in point: AMSoil Eaa204. Any rebuttle to my arguments? Like I said I'm the newbie when it comes to the tblazers and Im not afraid to be schooled. Thanks again for all your guys' help.:thx

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
130 Posts
To each his own my friend. :)
I don't personally use K&N filters either, I just know they are a favorite around here so I thought I might shed that light on you. lol.
Also, you'll notice the little SEARCH tab near the top of the page, that will become your best friend when it comes to answering questions lol. It has saved me a lot of trouble thus far. Just thought I'd throw that out there for ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts