Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2003 GMC Envoy about 2 weeks ago and have already put a new alternator, two new serp. belts, a new idler pulley and a new belt tensioner.. with that being said.. The first week I shredded my old belt after hearing it squeal for about 3 days (which is why I bought a new one). We located the squeal to the alternator pulley so we replaced it. Squeal stopped and now I shredded another belt and noticed some wobbling in the tensioner.. replaced that and went ahead and replace the idler pulley since I know it goes bad a lot on these vehicles. There is NO signs of a bad water pump or bad a/c pump.. but the new belt is sliding off of the idler pulley. What else could possibly be wrong? My husband thinks it is that the alternator doesn't have the bottom bolt in it.. could he be right? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
13 Posts
Belt tensioner

If you used an after market belt tensioner, they do not apply the same pressure as the original. I learned the hard way after my new belt lasted only a week after replacing the idler pulley and tensioner. I purchased a 1 inch smaller belt and have not had a problem.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.. putting a bolt into the bottom of the alternator fixed it though. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts