Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I ran multiple searches and read multiple threads for hours today looking for a possible solution to the issues that just popped up with my wife's TB. The truck is a 2004 TB EXT with the 4.2L, I had to have the tranny rebuilt in January after it burned out (AAMCO said Torque converter fried and took out the rest of the tranny...) other than that no major issues aside from expected wear items @ 189K; until today.

We went to breakfast yesterday morning and all was fine, came home, parked truck and all was good still.
She got in the truck to go to work this morning and it started fine, however the instrument panel lights weren't on and it wouldn't go into gear, so we swapped vehicles for the day so I could work on it. I managed to get the key turned off with the bypass switch, then found that I can manually override the shifter lock and get it into gear, okay from what I read, it looked like it could possibly be the ignition switch, new one bought, lined up and installed, no change in initial issues, but others noticed now. No air conditioning at any blower setting, and with key-off, engine off, and on RAP the shift indicator runs from park to 3 then back to park non-stop and there is a click sound evertime it moves away from Park... Also in the initial issues noted, the headlights will not turn off with the dash switch.
I have checked every fuse in both blocks, and swapped out the ignition switch with no luck. The additional issues were noticed after the install of the new switch, however I cannot be certain that they did not exist prior to swapping out the ignition switch, as I did not actively look for them at that time.

Can someone please shed some light on this? I asked the mechanic I use when I am out of my depth and he leaned towards ignition switch, or lock solenoid, I am starting to lean towards a BCM issue, but I really don't know. I called the local Chevy place and they (surprise) said they would have to look at it to give a starting point...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
That many weird and apparently unrelated issues, I'd check the grounds first, especially the
one near the center console. If you search for "ground locations" you should hit the
article that shows all the spots to check.

It's also possible that they didn't get the gear teeth lined up properly on the ignition switch
module, in which case it could make the problem worse, even with a good switch.

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That many weird and apparently unrelated issues, I'd check the grounds first, especially the
one near the center console. If you search for "ground locations" you should hit the
article that shows all the spots to check.

It's also possible that they didn't get the gear teeth lined up properly on the ignition switch
module, in which case it could make the problem worse, even with a good switch.

Good Luck!

Chris
Thanks, but I took special care not to move the old switch any at all from the original location prior to having the new switch in hand to match gear locations, and none of the dash warning lights are being affected, just the instrument panel illumination. Do you think it would go from no problems, to this, overnight, with a grounding issue? I am not trying to sound like a know it all by any means, I usually can figure weird stuff out on my own, this just has me scratching my head due to the seemingly unrelated issues happening all at once... I just hope it is something simple, a single point failure, it just has me baffled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
solved it, danged SP201 ground bolt was loose :mad:, 2 full turns with a 10mm nutdriver got it tight and no more issues so far. Chris, sorry if I doubted you...
:bonk: :thx

hope the descriptors in my post end up helping someone else.

to access SP201, remove the phillips head screw at the bottom right of the dash extension, gently pull it back and then tighten the 10mm bolt with the 10 black wires going to it...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
Heh...if I was perfect, maybe I'd be upset. I'm not. :) It sounded like
the ground, just because of the sudden occurrence of all the unrelated
issues, but I tossed the ignition switch in there because it was the last
thing worked on based on your description, and from a troubleshooting
standpoint, it's always a good idea to review whatever was touched last.
Wasn't any sort of comment on the quality of your work, but more of an
observation that Murphy loves automobiles. ;)

Glad you found the culprit and got it dealt with! :thumbsup:

Knowing what kinds of weird symptoms a loose ground can cause can
definitely help other members. These trucks are way touchy about good
connections.

Cheers-

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts