Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started truck today on a slight grade. Moved shift to drive and it felt like the shift lever wasn't connected to anything. Indicator said "drive" but truck rolled backwards. Put it in park and tried shifting. Turn off truck and now it is locked in park and when I turn the key nother happens-engine won't start:suicide::suicide:

Any ideas??

Thanks
Bob B

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
found the problem

Thanks for the reply but I found the problem. The plastic connector under the truck came off the arm from the transmission with the gear in drive. Therefore the truck wouldn't start. Cobbed up a fix becasue they wanted like $80 for an entire cable from the shift to the tranny when all I really needed was the small plastic piece on the end.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
problem

The same thing happened to me yesterday. Could you please elaborate on how you fixed it? My Envoy got stuck on the boat ramp and I had to get it towed. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look underneath the truck and see if the cable is still attached to the arm that comes out of the side of the transmission. Mine came off when the transmission was in drive and therefore it would not start (even though the gear siff lever wasmove to park)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
59 Posts
Now that your problem is hopefully resolved, I have a similar problem but not completely and didn't want to start a new thread.

I was with a friend yesterday in his '02 TB LT I6 4X4. We were driving around and stopped on a flat grade for approx 5 minutes then he went to put the vehicle back in gear and the transmission wouldn't shift out of park. No Check engine light, No service 4WD anything. He shifted into park, reverse, neutral, drive, checked the accelerator, engine showed up to 4000 RPMs but vehicle wouldn't move and we could tell the parking brake was released. He shut it completely off key out opened door and restarted and it ran just fine for 60 miles.

He has just purchased this vehicle and is very happy with it but we are hoping this is not a hint of whats to come. Shortly before this event somebody else was test driving the vehicle and we were riding along and noticed the other driver putting alot of stress on the transmission and the 4WD system by driving around in a flat wal-mart parking lot switching thru the different 4WD settings. I can understand wanting to test the shifting and making sure all side work but not in the paved lot of wally-world! Could this stress have anything to do with the transmission failure later experienced? There was probably an hour, approx 5 miles of city driving and several on and off's of the vehicle between the 2 events.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trailblazer

I don't think "stress" played a role in your problem. Sorry I can't be of much help with your specifics because with mine the cable under the truck slipped off the arm coming from the transmission and it never would have gone into gear. I suggest you put you question out on the forum and I am sure someone will know the answer.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The tblazer he's talking about is mine.

This happened to me 2 times today. When I shift the vehicle into drive, it's as if the vehicle is in park however the engine is not disengaged from the tranny. If i try and give it gas, the rpm's struggle and just by listening to the engine you can tell it's under stress but the truck will not budge.

To explain so everybody understands, it's like the rest of you shifting into drive and slamming on the parking/regular brakes at the same time while giving it gas. The engine struggles yet the truck will not budge.

It engages fine into reverse and then back into drive just fine, but going directly from park to drive is a no go. I have to go park, reverse then to drive.

Sounds like a linkage problem to me..

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2 Posts
oh no

Check your fluids in the trans, transfer case and check the cable. Worse come to worse it could be the trans pump or trans. I have an 02 Bravada and I had the same problem if its an 02 you mind as well replace the trans because that year trans was garbage.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2 Posts
02 trans

The 2002 transmissions were garbage they are known for failure GM knows this but did nothing about it. Thats why in 03 they changed alot of parts. Notice an 02 TB Envoy Bravada and Raineer all have the same trans with the same problems and 02 trans are not inter changeable with any other year. best bet buy a rebuilt or rebuild it yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts