Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to this forum but have used it many time for information and have really liked the peoples help and advise. I have a 2005 TB ext LS. I have had it for several years and love it but a couple of days ago my left turn signals went out and no bulbs or the dash light will light. When i turn on the emergency flashers only the right side works. I have changed the flasher relay and the multi switch on column. After that did not work I decided to actually do the troubleshooting I should of to start with. I do not have any voltage at the bulbs, bulbs are good, switched the circuit boards in tail lights and problem stayed on the left, fuse is good in rear fuse box, using a trouble light type tester instead of volt meter at the output of flasher relay causes a fast flash of the trouble light and flasher, no voltage on the left turn fuse in the rear fuse box, after looking at what diagram I could find means I have lost connection between the flasher and the fuse box or a bad fuse box. Any idea where to start looking for a bad connection or does it go through the BCM to the fuse box or does it go through the BCM at all.. I can not find a schematic for the entire circuit.

I live in Tennessee and most of us don't use turn signals to start with, but I am one of the oddballs here who likes to use them any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Odd!..... I had EXACTLY the same problem..... same exact year/make/model vehicle too... ...but my repair might be unique.

Someone had put a set of (wrong) jack crank rods in the original storage compartment. They were too long and actually broke and shorted the wires to the left side....just like your problem presents.

Anyway, open the left rear D-Pillar interior trim panel and there you'll find the wires for that side. You can get a better view of a likely damaged section of wires there.
HTH....

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,570 Posts
Are you saying front and back blinkers are not working? If so, check fuse #38 in rear fuse box. If fuse is good (check with ohmmeter),check for voltage at rear fuse box connector C1 pins C4 and C5 with left turn switch on.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,570 Posts
Pins C4 & C5 are on the C1 connector which is on the rear fuse box. You may have to back probe the particular wires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I misread your original post. Any hints how to get to the connector it is so close to the side of the fuse box housing I cant get to it. can I take the readings from the ribbon cable and if I can do you know which ones they are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I misread your original post. Any hints how to get to the connector it is so close to the side of the fuse box housing I cant get to it. can I take the readings from the ribbon cable and if I can do you know which ones they are.
Problem is fixed, I had to disassemble the rear fuse block to figure out which yellow wire I was looking for (the one going to fuse #38). I disconnected the battery before dismantling the fuse box so no power so I checked for resistance from the flasher to fuse #38 and it was open came back about 4 inches from the connectors and and striped the wire and confirmed that I had continuity from the connector to the striped wire then spliced in a new wire I ran and that took care of the problem.

Thanks for every ones help!

P.S. For those who have EXT models you have to remove the left rear seat bracket that mounts to the floor and remove the fuse box cover to slide the release for the ribbon cable connector from the BCM far enough to the right to remove it from the fuse block.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts