Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright heres the deal upon unlocking my doors and getting in i notice that my high beams are on.. however cannot do anything to shut them off NOTHING.... now my turn signals work so i do not feel the problem is in that switch however i got them to shut off just the other day and thought it was fixed... but than i hit the fog light button and boom high beams stuck on till today... the only thing that shuts them off is the battery rundown protector after fifteenmins i think... now my feeling is that the whole headlight module on the dash shorted somewhere and that is the fix... unless someone has any other input that it may be like a ruined harness (god i hope its not that). oh yeah and its an 05 tblazer lt with just over 35k on it so i just lost my factory warranty... and insight wouldbe greatly appreciated!!!!!!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Either the relay controlling them is welded and sticking on, or the control signal from the BCM is buggered. Definitely try swapping relay 43 with another identical one under the hood. Not likely to be the switch, since all that does is give advice to the BCM. Sure it's not your low beams locked on?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it's definately the highs that are stuck on.. relay 43?? just pop it out and find another one in there just like it?? i take it i should disconnect the battery before doing that. and also thanks ill let you know what i find out...

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Alright heres the deal upon unlocking my doors and getting in i notice that my high beams are on.. however cannot do anything to shut them off NOTHING.... now my turn signals work so i do not feel the problem is in that switch however i got them to shut off just the other day and thought it was fixed... but than i hit the fog light button and boom high beams stuck on till today... the only thing that shuts them off is the battery rundown protector after fifteenmins i think... now my feeling is that the whole headlight module on the dash shorted somewhere and that is the fix... unless someone has any other input that it may be like a ruined harness (god i hope its not that). oh yeah and its an 05 tblazer lt with just over 35k on it so i just lost my factory warranty... and insight wouldbe greatly appreciated!!!!!!
I don't about the years of coverage, but IIRC the mileage cut-off is 36k. Not 35k.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah it definately is 36k. However iti s an 05 and its 3 yrs 36k im off by a year so as to avoid the obnoxious dealer fees im trying to get to the bottom of it myself . If all else fails than i have no choice but to get it to a dealer!! right???

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
oh yeah it definately is 36k. However iti s an 05 and its 3 yrs 36k im off by a year so as to avoid the obnoxious dealer fees im trying to get to the bottom of it myself . If all else fails than i have no choice but to get it to a dealer!! right???
Did you try the relay swap yet? Does the multi-function switch move back and forth?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If all else fails than i have no choice but to get it to a dealer!! right???
That's true. We trailvoy folks talk big, but when it comes to tough issues like stuck headlights we always defer to the dealers. We worship the dealers and their superior troubleshooting skills and enjoy sharing our hard-earned money with them.

NOT!

Seriously, do you own a meter and know how to use it? We have schematics and collectively know how all the systems work. That's one of the benefits of trailvoy. But you have to do the repair. We're just free volunteer consultants. Are you wanting and experienced to do this? It's a little concerning when you ask questions as if you never heard of independent mechanics who work on vehicle electrical systems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gentleman i apologize for any ill thoughts i may have provoked .. and trust me i want nothing more than to avoid the dealership and they're ridiculousness. i am however brand new to the site and i guess i can say didnt know how to act.. Also i will be trying the relay this afternoon and will definately keep you posted thank you again for the advice and for any future advice i may recieve!!!!:woot::woot::tiphat:tiphat

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Bigwoods, your blowing this thing way too big.

Listen to the roadie.

90% of the time this problem is a stick contact (burned together because of the high current it is required to switch).

Buy a new relay (a very few $) and swap it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Awesome that is exactly what i needed!!!! Got stuck and confused friday so i gave up and went quad ridin and tested the 4wheel capabilities in the mud(passed with flying colors in my book!!) hopefully getting into this before wednesday(playoff hockey tonite lets go pens) Thanksagain to all that have helped. Will update shortly gentlemen and roadie thanks again for the quick response. Being new to the forum world i am absolutely blown away by how quickly i got a response to said issue i tip my hat to all of you!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update!!!

Again thank you to the roadie for his quick response and all the rest of you who helped. Finally got around to switchin out relay 43. Voila!! everything worked made my day. For about 3 days:suicide:. no big deal i grabbed tow extra just in case so if i am driving at night im not high linin people. So next question i pose is roadie u mentioned a possible BCM actin up. Would this be my next step on the road to fixing this permanently. Thanks beforehand also for any advice i may recieve!!!:tiphat

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...everything worked made my day. For about 3 days...
So the highs are locked on again? If you plug in a spare relay do they work properly?

Try pulling the connector off the back of the headlight control switch and see if the problem goes away.

To tell if the BCM is at fault, or the headlight control switch, will require using a meter on the connector pins and wiring harness. You up for that level of troubleshooting? Links to the schematics have been posted. Print those and trace the signals, or feed pizza to a friend who can. :thumbsup:

You aren't running any sort of non-standard headlamp bulbs are you?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes they are locked again. Yes plugged the spare relay in and they worked ok for about three days, then out of nowhere stuck back on. Running the stock headlamps yes. Will try pulling the connector this evening and see what happens. Also yes am willing and able to get my meter on some pins and trouble shoot! Once again i tip my hat to you roadie!! will keep posted as i go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pull fuse #14-10A underhood to see what happens.
So tallcorn thanks for some advice but... how about a little insight to what i may be doing when i take out/ change that particular fuse?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The relay #43 can be involved in the problem in two ways. Its output contacts could be welded stuck, powering the high beams when you don't want.

The relay could also be commanded to close by the BCM, whose control signal goes to the relay coil. Pulling fuse #14 will disable this path, and give us a clue if the problem is a relay that went bad from something else in 3 days, or the BCM started working for 3 days and then went flaky again.

If the BCM is telling the relay to close when you don't want it to, then the relay's OK. And then we have to move deeper into the circuit, for instance to see if the headlight switch is telling the BCM to turn the high beams on.

For all we know it could be a flaky flash-to-pass switch in the turn signal stalk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok. So if im pulling #14 by definition it should disable my high beams? Than if my switch works correctly minus the highs than we can move forward in the diagnosis? ehhh?? im startin to think in the same path i suppose it's becoming a bit clearer thanks soo much and ill keep everybody posted!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts