1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's my situation...........

I purchased the Hankooks for three reasons:

#1: Price......Couldn't beat um for this size tire (265/40/22)
#2: Tread wear......All the post I've read here said they wear great. To soon for me to tell, I've only had them on since Saturday!
#3: Noise.........All the post I read before I made the leap said they were a quiet tire. Well, mine sure as H*** aren't. At low speeds it sounds like I'm running a Super Swamper! Big time WHIRRrrrrrr sound.

What tire pressure should I be running and could this be the problem? Also, it hasn't been aligned yet. Had the DJM 2/4 and wheel/tire done back to back. About a week apart. Could the alignment be causing the excessive tire noise?

Anything else I should look at? I know thier a directional tire and I've alread checked that.

Help!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
I run 32 PSI (the door plaque pressure) on my 20s.....per Hankook. I called them and asked what pressure I should and the response was that as they carry a higher load rating, I should run the pressure specified on the door by the GM. I can tell you that beyond a shadow of a doubt, my Hankooks are quieter than the original 17 Michelin tires that came on my Envoy and MUCH, MUCH quieter than the Goodyear Eagle GTIIs that were on my 20s before the Hankook tires. (They had a real annoying hum or wine to them).

Two things come to mind, the first not to imply lack of knowledge, but are they mounted and turning the correct way! - These tires are UNI-Directional and are meant to turn one way and only one way. As the tire rotates the point of the 'V' groove (center) should make contact with the pavement first and not the sides. There are also arrows on the sidewall that should point forward at the top of the tire for direction of rotation. (Reversing them would most likely cause all sorts of noise). Just knowing they're directional, doesn't mean you or the tire mounter understands which way is correct. (Post a picture of the tire on the vehicle and I or somebody can verify they ARE in fact rotating the correct way).

The second thing would be vehicle alignment, wide load profile tires will create more noise if the vehicle's alignment is off. If they're trying to push against or away from each other as opposed to running strait, they'll make noise. If they're facing the correct way, are you sure the alignment is spot on? (Some shops couldn't align a vehicle properly if they came into the shop properly aligned).

UPDATE: Just actually read the part about the drop and not having been aligned yet.....YES this may cause noise and worse extreme tire wear. Dropping shifts the camber of both front wheels significantly and low profile tires are more apt to not tolerating it as well as a taller profile tire. Good news is that with the DJM arms a 2" drop can be aligned correctly. Get that thing aligned before you tear apart those tires.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I knew the tires where on right. Thought it might be either the alignment or tire pressure. I need to find a dedicated alignment shop in my area though. Won't trust it to bubba's garage...........Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts