Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemen and ladies… I'm a new/recent owner of a 2008 Trailblazer and new to the forum…glad I found you. I'm inclined to do most of my own repairs and maintenance, but need lots of sound advice given that I haven't turned a single wrench on her to date. So...I'm pretty certain I need new shocks and struts on my vehicle due to excessive up n down after a bump, as well as sway after a dip while at high speed. It also rides rougher than I think it should. Any other signs I'm thinking correctly? The rear shocks look pretty easy and straightforward. But the front…before I even get started, allow me to ask a general "how best to approach and what should I look out for/avoid" question? Also, should I replace both strut and spring, or can I get away with just strut? If both, is there a large $ difference in buying an assembled "ready mount" assembly such as what Gabriel offers? It does look significantly easier...is it? I'd appreciate your help, and thank you in advance. In addition, my budget is very limited, probably more than most. So while I don't want to buy junk, can you recommend a brand and seller? Conversely, is there a brand I DO want to stay away from? I really, REALLY need to save $, aka spend wisely. I know that's a lot of Q's for a newbie tho hasn't contributed anything (so far), but your advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Scott

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
25 Posts
Struts are always easier to change as complete assemblies. "Quick struts". My local parts stores (auto zone, advance auto parts, Napa) they offer monroe, Gabriel and kyb quick struts. It's all personal preference on brand name you use

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
25 Posts
Did some quick price checking... the local parts stores down here offer the quick strut assemblies about 180-200 each. You will need 2 for front. Ebay has a lot of Monroe deals for about 240. That's for front quick struts and rear shocks.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
You can buy a spring compressor (good one) from harbor freight for under $100. ( Google harbor freight single action strut spring compressor)

MacPherson struts aren't complex but you do need TO BE VERY CAREFUL when you change them as a spring turned loose could take you head off. You could buy the compressor and struts prob for the cost of a single quick strut. Autozone and the like also have loaner tools including spring compressors but I consider them cheap and dangerous so buy you own quality tool ( if you decide to go that route)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
BTW, I have a 2004 trailblazer and love towing my pup with it compared to the jeep grand Cherokee I had.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts