Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello. i am having an issue with my voy not starting with the key. i have an aftermarket remote start and it still starts the voy perfectly. all accesories work when started with the remote. however when i use the key to start the envoy, nothing happens. it doesnt crank, the guages dont move, and i dont hae any power windows or radio even with the key in the on position. could this be the ignition switch/?
yesterday i ran a power wire for my amp through the electrical boot. when i did so the boot came off and it skinned 2 red wires and a yellow wire off of the fire wall. i believe these are ignition wires. i did not realize it until i tore my kick pannel back off today to check the wiring.

any help would be much appriciated.!
thanks
rob

ps the ony think that turnsd on with the key is the bat light and the PRND321

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Did your amp install and starting issues occur at the same time? :undecided Fixing damaged wiring is always a good idea, so if fixing those doesn't fix your issue, then I would look at the ignition switch next.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did your amp install and starting issues occur at the same time? :undecided Fixing damaged wiring is always a good idea, so if fixing those doesn't fix your issue, then I would look at the ignition switch next.
yes it hasnt started since. i taped the wires up and still nothing. if the switch is bad do no key function electronics come on(radio, odometer, heater, windows, ect...), and the remote start would still work properly?

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
When the ignition switches go bad, all sorts of whacky electrical stuff can happen, including your scenario. Since the remote start still makes everything work, I would think it's either the switch (which has an annoyingly high failure rate) or some damaged wiring between the key, and where your remote start is spliced in.

If taping up the damaged wiring that occurred when the problem started didn't fix it, AND it's not the switch, then you've got more wire damage than initially thought and may need a 2nd look.

Edit: If you cut through the insulation on a yellow wire, and it touched metal in the process, you likely shorted out something, hopefully just the ignition switch and not some other stuff. Have you checked any of your fuses yet?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
yes it hasnt started since. i taped the wires up and still nothing. if the switch is bad do no key function electronics come on(radio, odometer, heater, windows, ect...), and the remote start would still work properly?

That is correct, the Remote Start duplicates all or in some cases most of the functions of the Ignition Switch electronically. If the Truck works properly with the Remote Start, then insert and turn the key to on, then step on the Brake, does it stall? If so, the ignition switch is bad.

If not, you have a strange problem that only hands on diagnosis can find.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the Truck works properly with the Remote Start, then insert and turn the key to on, then step on the Brake, does it stall? If so, the ignition switch is bad.

If not, you have a strange problem that only hands on diagnosis can find.
yes it stalls when the brake is applied.

thanks for all the help guys i am going to price the switch right now

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i just replaced the ignition switch. no luck. the same thing is happening. the battery light is on steady with the key and when the doors are locked the security light blinks. when i unlock doors the light goes out.... i am goign to check the rest of the harness hopefully with some luck,.

thanks again for the tips.

rob

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Solved

well after checking all the fuses again . found that J-case fuse #36 in the under hood box was blown. isuppose if i would have took my time and checked better i would have saved the 40 bucks for the ignition switch.:duh: i replaced the fuse (almost 5 dollars at autozone for one), and everything is back to normal. i guess now at lease i have an ignition switch on the shelf for the future lol.

thanks everyone for the help.

:thx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts