Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys.

Replaced Thermostat and O2 sensor this weekend. Pulled off the alternator to get to the thermostat. Put a new belt on and now after a while I get a slipping belt sound and the belt gets destroyed. All of the pulleys seem to turn freely. The idler pulley was replaced 2 months ago, but does have a very small amount of "wiggle" to it. Belt was fine with no noise whatsoever for 50 miles or so. Sat for 2 hours then noise and torn up belt.

Any clues????

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
The slipping could be from antifreeze on the pulleys from when you did your t-stat. Also, make sure your belt was on the pulleys in the correct order and that none of the grooves are misaligned. Other than that, I don't any problems as to why it would shred. Make sure your alternator is bolted back up tightly.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Are you getting the right belt? The short wheel base takes the longer belt. If you are putting the short belt on then it will be too tight and cause the noise and shredding.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the parts store it is the right belt. I would assume that the smaller belt would not fit being its 1.5" smaller. Not sure though. The belt only makes noise when it gets warm.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
glue has all of the bases covered in post #2.

If the problem did not exist until you changed the t-stat, it MUST be one of the things glue talks about.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
Could it be a worn out belt tensioner that's not holding the belt tight enough, allowing it to slip? :undecided

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
212 Posts
I agree, as much as this will suck I would say clean each pully with some cleaner and emery cloth to make sure it is free of oils and burnt rubber from previous belts.

I would also try spinning the A/C compressor and other accessories by hand to see if anything is failing... but I would assume you would hear and see that in other ways.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
125 Posts
Only other thing I can think of....

Look at where the alternator mounts up to the engine. Make sure it is flush with no gaps. Those long mounting bolts can bind causing it to be out of align just enough to throw your pulley off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts