Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've suffered with this for over a year now (warning: its not a major tech. issue / problem) and my ipod has done well but I need radio from time to time.... my antenna broke off (damn neighborhood hooligans!) in the mast at front left hood area of my '03 TB EXT.

I tried to extract it with one of those tap/extract type of bits like you see advertised on tv for broken screws, etc - it just resulted in a hole (where, before it was just broken off flush with the top of the mast screw-in area.)

Then, you'll love this, I took my new dremmel tool and tried to just 'dremmel the hell out of it'.... but it wasnt looking good - dont think I reached/damaged the masts' threads, but just gave up.

so I tried just leading a wire (tucked into the 'hole' I created) and if you hold the wire, that DOES get some GREAT reception.... but as soon as you let go - static ... nothin' but static.

So Im thinking I dont want to go to a shop and

a) tell the somewhat embarrasing story
b) (more importantly) pay to have it fixed

.... so is it possible to tap into the back of the (factory, single-CD, Digital) head unit and pull out the antenna from there, and insert some other type of antenna?

Anyone know of any remedy for something like this?

I've been thinking about just having the factory unit replaced but economy and all its not that important to me -- but I think there has to be a workaround.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can buy a universal antenna for 10 or 20 $, probably the lowest cost option.
But getting it to screw into the mast would be my problem.... it looks like there is a wire that plugs into the bottom of the metal mast but not sure I want to go through the trouble of removing (trying to, that is)the door to get to it.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You don't have to remove the door. You might be able to just remove the fresh air intake (cowl?) above the firewall. If your worried about someone breaking it off again, I believe someone on this site hooked up the antenna and laid it horizontally under the cowl and still got good reception.

·
Registered
2003 chevy
16 Posts
I have the fixed mast antenna mounted and the wire fished through the wheel flap which snaps near the tire. The new antenna connector is on now.

The problem I have is that the antenna wire is bunched and has pins/snaps to go somewhere. Where does it go and how do I access that area?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts