Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I skipped disconnecting any transmission cooler lines and just dropped the pan
Yeah ---- that's fine under the circumstances.

I'll be in-n-out all day today trying to gather electrical parts for an electric Yamaha golf cart. I may not respond very quickly until I get this damned cart outta my hair - it keeps on going on fire ...... ughhh!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
That’s as bad as it gets. About to look and see if anything looks worn on the transmission itself
There's noit much to see as fqar as hardware inside the transmission goes .... most of the damage - IF there is any ---- will be in components that are inside drums and housings.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Do you feel capable? Not to insult, but this is pretty close to "clean room" work but without bunny suits.

I personally don't know that kit. It looks nice. I stick to Mr. Shift and the "Shift Kit" (a registered trademark of Gil Younger's). I personally knew Gil Younger when he was alive and fully trust and totally recommend any of his products.

Some of these kits require dropping the valve body and there are check balls that require serious finesse to put them back ... in the right place ... and not rolling into Hades under your toolbox and disappearing forever.

I'd normally say go for it ... it certainly can't hurt ... but you will learn something about your transmission.

HINT ----> I make some alignment studs out of much longer bolts with the heads cut off, just to help align things and make sure the check balls go into the correct ports in the case.
That's the tricky part ... getting them where they actually belong.​
PS ... buy a can of Dr. Tranny ... in green.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Do you feel capable? Not to insult, but this is pretty close to "clean room" work but without bunny suits.

I personally don't know that kit. It looks nice. I stick to Mr. Shift and the "Shift Kit" (a registered trademark of Gil Younger's). I personally knew Gil Younger when he was alive and fully trust and totally recommend any of his products.

Some of these kits require dropping the valve body and there are check balls that require serious finesse to put them back ... in the right place ... and not rolling into Hades under your toolbox and disappearing forever.

I'd normally say go for it ... it certainly can't hurt ... but you will learn something about your transmission.

HINT ----> I make some alignment studs out of much longer bolts with the heads cut off, just to help align things and make sure the check balls go into the correct ports in the case.
That's the tricky part ... getting them where they actually belong.​
PS ... buy a can of Dr. Tranny ... in green.
It’s just a solenoid kit, it only replaces all the solenoids, the manifold pressure switch, and the wiring harness to all of the above. I am looking at everything in that kit after dropping the pan. I can’t see how it’s as involved as you are saying. Unless there is something I’m missing???

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Since you've got it opened, pull the electrical connex off the solenoids and run an Ohms-Resistance test on them - write the results down.

I'm sure someone here can find - or has the correct values somewhere. I never got to work on these since I retired before they hit my shops. They were still under factory warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I haven’t had time to do much but made the decision to just go ahead and get the solenoid kit. It is hopefully showing up today and if so I will put it on tonight. If it doesn’t work I’m just going to haul the car somewhere to have it looked at. I don’t have the time or knowledge to really go any further. I’ll update afterwards

41 - 51 of 51 Posts