Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Last month was happened to me, tb 05 not move (shifting gear working good)
Replace the transmission selenoid (2 pcs) and replace the oil as well.
I hope it will solve your problem
Yup .... that's where I'm moving him.

DIAGNOSE, DIAGNOSE, DIAGNOSE FIRST.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like pcm.
Started having problems when the battery died while sitting. I thought the accessories had accidentally been left on. Charged the battery but still wouldn’t start. I changed the ignition switch and it has ran fine for around a month now. On the way home from work yesterday The car started shutting everything down, windows wouldn’t work, lost everything on the instrument cluster, no radio, and finally I was kicked out of gear and was no longer getting power to the wheels. I pulled over, parked, and shut the car off. Felt like an ignition switch issue again so my father-in-law brought a new one again and a mega fuse just in case. Replaced them and got it started again just to figure out the alternator had gone bad. Trailered it back home and replaced the alternator. It starts and runs fine but still won’t go into gear. The shift selector moves fine and the shifter cable is also fine. The car will not move in any gear it is placed in. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY CABLE.

Pull the appropriate fuse instead ... u less you like needing to replace broken HVAC controllers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Last month was happened to me, tb 05 not move (shifting gear working good)
Replace the transmission selenoid (2 pcs) and replace the oil as well.
I hope it will solve your problem
I have thought about just replacing the solenoids to see what happens but don’t want to keep throwing money at it aimlessly

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY CABLE.

Pull the appropriate fuse instead ... u less you like needing to replace broken HVAC controllers.
The cable has already been pulled for numerous reasons several times. I already had a broken HVAC controller. This however also did not change anything.

thank you for your previous detailed response. I hope to update soon with something, I have just been super busy and haven’t had much time to mess with it. I will hopefully have a pressure test to report soon.

also, when you say physically verify that the transfer case is changing gears are you meaning just by looking under the car and watching where the cable connects move? The shifter on the transfer case that the cable connects to is moving when you move the shift selector. Is there any other way to verify?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
OK .... here's a test for the transfer case.

Start engine.
Pull gearshift into any forward gear then immediately back into Park.
Don't hesitate.
Is there a lot of noise?
You'll know the noise of which I am speaking if you hear it.
Yes, you will.
Let me stress that a bit: YOU WILL HEAR IT .
It won't hurt anything, but if the transfer case is in neutral, you parking pawl in the transmission will rattle severely.
Again .... it won't harm anything to do this because the rotating parts aren't massive enough to damage things.
It will be noisy if the transfer case is not hooked to the wheels.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Well - that's not good.

Are you into the test port I said you should test - the one on the driver's side of the transmission and right under your heel when it's on the gas pedal?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
OK ---- another simple test .......

Remove any of the transmission cooler lines and start the engine.

You should get a bath of ATF all over the place.

No bath? We gotta talk...................

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You MIGHT have front pump failure - not 100% sure without a little more info and testing by you .........

This is front pump & rotor damage .................

.... and this would put a lot of steel grindings in the pan .....

Is your computer "tooned"?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
.... being as you had an electrical problem ---- there's a remote possibility this pressure control solenoid may have failed because it was pulling current when the alternator was dead/dying and the battery finally got below threshold.

As the Volts go down, Amps go up and Amps destroy electrical thingy-s because they get really hot and die.

We're working this in an 'inexpensive as possible' policy. OK?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That’s the test port I used. I had to drop the shift cable and selector out of the way to get to it. I had to watch a video on YouTube to figure out where it was. I will get that put back together and try disconnecting one of the cooler lines when I can and report back. The car is at my in-laws and I’m a full time firefighter and do tree work on the side so my time to do anything else is pretty scarce right now. I’ll hopefully have something else to report back soon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
.... being as you had an electrical problem ---- there's a remote possibility this pressure control solenoid may have failed because it was pulling current when the alternator was dead/dying and the battery finally got below threshold.

As the Volts go down, Amps go up and Amps destroy electrical thingy-s because they get really hot and die.

We're working this in an 'inexpensive as possible' policy. OK?
Still have my fingers crossed on this. It was a sucker punch getting that gauge on and seeing no pressure

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
NO pressure can be a few different reasons.
Electrically - the pressure solenoid could have died an undervoltage-high amps death.

I'm working on an RV trailer that burned up the motor to push the pop-out, er ... out and back in again.
It had some seriously bad electrical connections and they got hot - the resistance went up --- the voltage went down ---- the amps went up ---- the wires got hotter and the resistance got higher --- the voltage dropped even more and the amperage went up ---it's a vicious cycle.​
I would find it kinda unlikely that you grenaded your front pump - I think the nest step is to drop the transmission pan and take a look-see.
A lot of things in the pan will tell you what happened - and you can get to the pressure regulator if you need to too once the pan is off.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Uh~mmmm...

Your problem is somewhat unique in the concurrence of the alternator and the transmission both taking a dive at the same time. What did the alternator do to the transmission?

You've got either a/an
1) physical
2) hydraulic
3) electrical
.....singularity that MAY have created a/an
A) physical
B) hydraulic
C) electrical
.....thingamajiggy....... by combining
1+ B
2+ A ...
Ugggggh! I don't want to do this calculation this early in the morning. .................?....

...... the combinations are prolly 3^3 which my Pickett Slide Rule gives as 81 variations but I haven't used my slide rule for 57+ years ... so I may have slipped a mantissa there and not realized it.

If you've ever had your mantissa slip, you'll never forget it ... nor want it to happen again. BT/DT!

I'm working for ya kid! Don't worry.

Now I have to go and decide if today is a pants or robe day.....................

For all you Steve Allen fans .....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I am off to go pick up my daughter but I managed to drop the pan before I left. Didn’t have much time to examine everything but as far as I could tell I didn’t see any noticeable junk in the pan. In a couple hours when I get back I will take a closer look and report back

21 - 40 of 50 Posts