Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post in your forum, so hello everyone. I wanted to talk about the california emissions on my 2005 gmc envoy. I have the california emissions and i don't live in california. Is it required on my envoy? Do i need it? Can i take it off and still pass regular emissions tests? If so how do I take it off? Thank you!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
what exactly do you want to remove? but more then likely no you cant it well mess with the pcm and give codes

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,077 Posts
Welcome to the site. Hopefully you will find your answer. As someone else said the search may shed some light. Where I am, there are no emission test as well yearly inspections.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it's just that it has the equipment for California, and i don't live there and i have to believe this is extraordinarily restrictive on the engine, so I wondered if anyone knew what that was and if it could be removed.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat If you fill out your User Info we may be able to offer more info. Where you live do they require an emissions test.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I remember nothing in the factory shop manual about anything being different for California, in terms of the usual old style hardware mods. There's a chance the PCM programming is different, but I doubt it.

OK, digging deeper, the CA emissions RPO code is YF5:

EMISSIONS OVERRIDE, CALIFORNIA
(allows a dealer in states that require California emissions - California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Washington - to order Federal emissions for a vehicle that will be registered in a state that has Federal emission requirements). Do not use for vehicles that will be registered in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Washington.

I guessed the cat might be different, but the compnine data base doesn't have anything different for RPO YF5. I'm stumped.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Honestly I havent heard any differences between CA and non-CA vehicles for the I6. Maybe the cat but Im going to bet its just a sticker...

But there's no emissions stuff you can remove to free up any restriction, get a tune+cai and be done with it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
Honestly I havent heard any differences between CA and non-CA vehicles for the I6. Maybe the cat but Im going to bet its just a sticker...

But there's no emissions stuff you can remove to free up any restriction, get a tune+cai and be done with it.
:iagree: also get a cat back exhaust to bump up the power

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well obviously it's nothing that's completely obvious or easily removed! I thank you for all your assistance, i am becoming more and more educated with my envoy every day. The next step is changing out the stock radio for a different head unit.... I am struggling to get to the stock one, still looking through the forums to see if there is a guide, any help on that is appreciated too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.