Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here. This forum is awesome. I am fighting the same vibrations as many before me. Mine shakes the grill at idle but seems to go away as RPMs increase, however my rearview mirror shows a vibration at highway speeds and I can feel it in the steering wheel. So far- new motor mounts, new plugs/wires, new alternator and new coils. I have no codes. I have a 2002 Envoy w/ 150k but extremely well maintained and clean. A scan shows nothing wrong with the engine or transmission, compression test is great. My belt tensioner seems to bounce/vibrate a bit so that will probably be my next part to change.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vibration is so high in frequency, I am sure it is not the tires. I will try cleaning the throttle body though. Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
You said that the Vehicle will vibrate at an idle. OK, remove the serpertine belt and start the vehicle and see if the vibration went away at idle. That way you will eleminate everything not in the engine, torque converter, or transmission. Do not drive it with the belt removed, just check at an idle for a few seconds.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the belt the other day. I am pretty sure the vibration stopped, but I couldn't be certain. Today I was going to show a friend the "bouncing" tensioner and it wasn't bouncing but the vibration was still there. I then saw that the power steering pulley seemed to wiggle a little. I placed my hand on the fluid cap and I could feel a "growl." Now I have a feeling that the power steering pump could be the problem. The frequency of this "growl" felt the same as what I feel in the steering wheel. I don't know, it is driving me nuts. I am having a buddy drive his wife's Trailblazer to work tomorrow so we can compare things. I will post my findings.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the "growl" is not apparent on my buddy's, but upon further investigation I can feel it on other parts of the engine. The hood prop rod is even a blur when holding the hood up at idle due to the vibration. We drew a crowd and one guy suggested the torque converter. The transmission was recently serviced, but the fluid does appear and smell a bit burned. I am not really sure what I will do next, but I will post whatever I do. I might just try to put up with it until something breaks.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
16 Posts
Hello, I have the same vibration problem
It Starts at 70mph and 85mph it gets stronger
We need to Find a solution for this problem:undecided

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Well the "growl" is not apparent on my buddy's, but upon further investigation I can feel it on other parts of the engine. The hood prop rod is even a blur when holding the hood up at idle due to the vibration. We drew a crowd and one guy suggested the torque converter. The transmission was recently serviced, but the fluid does appear and smell a bit burned. I am not really sure what I will do next, but I will post whatever I do. I might just try to put up with it until something breaks.
Go back and remove the serpertine belt and see if the hood prop rod still vibrates. Go for the simplest solution first. The problem may just be outside the engine. Alt., powersteering pump, water pump, cooling fan, pullys, etc.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hello, I have the same vibration problem
It Starts at 70mph and 85mph it gets stronger
We need to Find a solution for this problem:undecided
Please fill out the user CP and make the print more like everybody else uses. No point in making yourself,,,, loud.
Oh, and welcome to the site..... Maybe you should slow down and get your tires balanced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Please fill out the user CP and make the print more like everybody else uses. No point in making yourself,,,, loud.
Oh, and welcome to the site..... Maybe you should slow down and get your tires balanced.
Okay I filled it up:D

my tires are new
Two days ago I tooked my trailblazer to Al-Ghanim (GM dealer in Kuwait)
They changed the Front Hub Wheel Bearings & the Front CV Axles & the Upper Control Arms
and I got my tires balanced to
But vibration Did not go:mad:
Its Driving me Crazy:suicide:

about slowing down
The legal limit of speed in Kuwait 120 km(80 mph)
From my house to my University is 65 km/h(40 Mails)
so going 40Mails going Back 40Mails Total 80Mails:duh:
Usually My Speed is 140km/h(85mph)to160km/h(100mph)
The police do not pay any attention to speed offenders:sleepy:
Because everybody in the highway is Speeding:D

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha, yes... I have driven there. It was like a race everywhere I went. You all drive very aggressive! I think my idle is a separate problem from my driving vibration. I ran a second can of Seafoam through my brake booster line (1/3 at a time) and my idle seems better. It still smoked after the last dose. My buddies, although smooth idling, has about the same miles on his and his trailblazer has the EXACT same vibration starting at 70, which is the speed limit here. He calls his vibration a "roar." Mine has had new tires as well. I will keep messing with it during my spare time, but I have to lay off before it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
it appears that the vibration is a design problem.
I think the vibrations problem from the drive shaft Or the Transmission.
and GM has no answer at this time in fixing this problem:hopeless
I do not know if I should take it back to GM dealer and tell him I'm not happy because the vibration is still there, or do I try to live with it??

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Timmer, when your serpentine belt is off, check for missing chunks and also see if you can read the stock number off the back of the belt. The regular wheelbase Envoys take a 91.5" belt (which has a stock number usually ending in 915) and the EXT models use a 90.5" belt (ending in a 905 stock number.)

They are easily confused and some parts catalogs are wrong, resulting in a few wrong belts being put on our trucks. A 90.5" belt will work, but it will cause a lot of tension on the pulleys and eventually lead to premature wear on the bearings, especially the power steering pump.

As for the driveline vibration, look at the traditional causes first. Driveline vibration should always cause one to suspect u-joints. When you are underneath, a bad u-joint will have a tiny bit of play between the two shafts. Even the tiniest bit of play means a bad u-joint. Another good way to tell is if you get a tiny bit of red dust falling from the needle bearing area when you move the u-joint a bit.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Hey Guys,
My 03 Envoy SLT I6 with 81,000 miles has a similar vibration at highway speed. It happens right at 75 mph and smoothes out at 80 mph. Although I can not feel or hear any vibration in the viehicle the rear view mirror distorts pretty badly in that 5 mph sweetspot. My solution for that problem, don't drive 75-80 mph....(either go faster or slower). I don't think it is anything wrong with the vehicle. In my experience with the few vehicles I have owned over the years, all vehicles cars and trucks alike have a sweetspot where vibrations or sounds occour at different speeds or engine rpms. That doesn't nessesarily mean a problem or "design flaw" just a harmless vibration. In most cases with SUVs that have a vibration at high speed, maybe it is the vehicle telling you " hey! I wasn't built for this speed. Slow the heck down!"

My :m2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Guys,
My 03 Envoy SLT I6 with 81,000 miles has a similar vibration at highway speed. It happens right at 75 mph and smoothes out at 80 mph. Although I can not feel or hear any vibration in the viehicle the rear view mirror distorts pretty badly in that 5 mph sweetspot. My solution for that problem, don't drive 75-80 mph....(either go faster or slower). I don't think it is anything wrong with the vehicle. In my experience with the few vehicles I have owned over the years, all vehicles cars and trucks alike have a sweetspot where vibrations or sounds occour at different speeds or engine rpms. That doesn't nessesarily mean a problem or "design flaw" just a harmless vibration. In most cases with SUVs that have a vibration at high speed, maybe it is the vehicle telling you " hey! I wasn't built for this speed. Slow the heck down!"

My :m2:
Hey thither:tiphat
I have Driven my TB in a Very high speed 200km/h (125mph):D
The TB vibrat Like Hell
It Starts at 70mph and as More you speed The vibration Becomes stronger

and GM dealers in Kuwait & Saudi arabia Does not know anything about The vibration:cry:
The answer to this vibration problem is in the USA & Canada
The Place Where the car was Made
If you find any solution for this Curse(vibration) Let me know

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chickenhawk,
I checked the belt and it is correct. No missing chunks either. I will have to check the driveshaft later. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I give up

I am giving up. I thought I could ignore it but I can't. Yesterday I bought an engine for it so I am pretty sure that will fix it. The engine came coupled to a 4x4 transmission, and I don't have a 4x4. They have 51k, and I will just sell the transmission. Anyone in need? I will post it in the classifieds on here when I drop the new engine in.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Problem Solved!

OK, I finally had some time to tinker and I decided to try one last thing before putting in the replacement engine. Long story short... engine mount. I had purchased one OEM mount from the dealer and one mount from a local parts store since the local parts store mount was so much cheaper. I knew that the "china" mount was bad from the beginning so I swapped it for a new one. That one turned out bad so I ordered one online. I knew they were bad because they compressed very easy. The one I bought online appeared OK and had been on the vehicle until last night. As a last ditch effort I installed another OEM mount and the problem is solved. I would obviously recommend to just spend the extra money and buy OEM mounts and avoid the cheaper ones. Anyone need an engine? It is posted on Nashville Craigslist.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, I don't have the number and I threw away the packaging. I do know that the first bad ones were from Oreilly's and the next bad one was from an Ebay store. The good ones were straight from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts