Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just picked up a 2004 Envoy SLT with the 4.2 six with 137k miles. It was spun out into a ditch resulting in mostly front end damage with some to the back bumper. I think I've located the front end parts and plan on bolting on some new black JY parts to make it look like it should for a small investment. The PO was driving it and got it aligned, so there's no suspension / frame damage. It goes dead straight down the road and tires look good. His mechanic said he wouldn't pass it till he replaced the bumper. It also needs a wheel bearing so he decided to get a new car and sold this.

Interior is average I guess. Radio and HVAC controls are missing lights and have worn white in spots. Seats have a couple small rips that I'd like to keep from becoming big rips but overall it's in good shape for 18 years old.

It's an extra vehicle / toy, so first is the wheel bearing and axle (torn boot) and then the body panels, then start catching up maintenance. It does look like it needs a valve cover gasket but I'm hoping for spring time for that.

I do want to upgrade the radio so I plan on digging around. It has the Bose CD / Cassette deck with the rear radio controls on the console. Not sure if that's the "rear entertainment" system or not. I also want to nix the Onstar.

David

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

Font Rectangle Number Document Paper

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have the G80 RPO code, so that means you have a locking rear differential.
Yup! I always look for G80 and G81 when I look at GM stuff. Ford stuff like the F150's and such, when you look at the axle code if it's two number's it's open, if it's a letter and a number it's limited slip. Chrysler says "anti-spin" if I remember...

Probably contributed to the body damage... The kid who was driving it when around an offramp too fast and spun around and went down a drainage ditch. With an open rear, one wheel may have anchored him...

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,642 Posts
That's likely the On Star - or the FBI Hot Line antenna to tell them where you are all the time.

Pennsylvania is THAT prissy about some pieces of plastic missing over your bumper? Sounds like California to me.

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
401 Posts
The antenna is the OnStar. I disabled mine on my 2002 by removing the fuse and disconnecting the main box under the rear seat.

For radio stuff, crutchfield.com is your best friend. I installed a new headunit in mine with SiriusXM, backup camera, Bluetooth and I maintained my steering wheel controls.

The rear radio/HVAC control is the rear seat entertainment package. Swapping headunits will disable most of those features.

eBay is where I spent most of my money on "beautification" parts, including a new HVAC module without worn buttons. Swapped faceplates and installed LED lights. Also did LED lights on the cluster, steering wheel controls, 4x4 switch, rear wiper switch and the headlight switch. Window switches are next.

All in all, a reliable machine that's easy to work on a a ton of fun to drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FBI Hot Line antenna
Must be OnStar. I have my own FBI satellite tracking me...

Pennsylvania is THAT prissy about some pieces of plastic missing
Inspection is done by independent garages. His mechanic wanted him to spend money. Guy I go to usually doesn't care.

It's been 20 years since I had an inspection license but there was a gray area about stuff like that. The reinforcement bar qualifies, or should qualify as a bumper, but the fog and corner lights are missing. But, if they're optional then it's fine if they're missing.

I always looked for sharp edges that could cut someone as they walked by.

But who am I to complain, I got a great deal...

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,642 Posts
@Cobra2411,
Must be OnStar. I have my own FBI satellite tracking me...
I have black helicopters.

I always looked for sharp edges that could cut someone as they walked by.
I have a Warn 9000lb winch sticking out of the front of my '86 K5 Blazer, and right below it, there's a stub of solid 2"x2" steel for a special attachment I made for it, --- uh, sticking out about 12" - and I just put a 3' chunk of 4"x4" in the cable loop when I wind it back in. The 4"x4" is a kinda safety bumper in case I hit a pedestrian or a baby carriage.
That way, I'll only punch an 8" deep hole through whatever I hit​

I'm a kind and concerned person about safety like that. Yeah, I am!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts