Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 TB (base model, I guess)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 2002 TB from a coworker who wanted it gone. Seems to be in decent condition being that it's 17 years old. A few flaws, one being it's likely to need a new battery, it's low on ATF fluid, and the driver's-side vents are stuck in 'hot'. Seriously needs a bath and interior cleaning, but it's been sitting for months under Florida oaks so none of the problems listed (except for perhaps the climate controls) is really a problem to fix. It's going to replace a '99 Chrysler Concorde in damn near flawless condition excepting the aggravating transient electrical problem that drops the controls, gauges and idiot lights and saps the battery. The TB at least seems reliable from the reports I've heard about it. Either way, I only paid $1000 for it, so I'm not going to expect much - and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. :unsure::)

Options: Other than the standard (4.2I6, AC, PS/PB/PW/PL/cruise/tilt), sunroof, overhead console, aftermarket touchscreen entertainment. Not too many extra bells and whistles, but more than the Dakota and the Concorde.

Update from yesterday - the battery was definitely bad, with a dead cell and a bulge to it. Added the ATF to full on the dipstick, that seems good, no leaks I've seen. Gave it a bath n' brush (wash and vacuum), no visible rust that I can see. Interior is is surprisingly good condition. I presume the dimple in the console lid is standard after several years of elbows on it...and I expect to be pulling oak leaves out of it until I no longer own it. The wife has decided it will replace the Dakota (which with its flaws, is roadworthy and dependable), instead of the Concorde (which with the electrical issues mentioned above, is not)...go figure.

A couple of things I see I'll need to repair, replace or upgrade: the driver's side temperature blend actuator...though with the heat down here, I might just put the door to 'cold' and be done with it. No need to decide immediately. The headlights - particularly the right one - are hazy, and I'll try some restoration kit on them, but eventually I'll likely just replace them. Same with the left rear taillight which has a crack in it which allows moisture. Since there are spots on the door panels, I'll replace them as I find them (there's several really good salvage yards south of me in WPB that I visit, so if there's any requests...already saw there's about seven TBs, haven't checked for Envoys).

Upgrade questions - from poking around here, putting a DIC with steering wheel controls is something I'd like to do. Also, if I were to find a salvage yard rear entertainment system, would that work as a standalone (not counting the rear console controls that is)? Since my head unit is aftermarket I'm not sure how the compatibility would work out. And does the early TB have turn signal mirrors I could put in? Another thing I'd like to do if available is put an inverter in as well, for 110V access. I've got a spare from an Uplander I got parts out of for my 2005 Montana SV6...if it's plug and play, like the van was, so much the better.

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer LS 4x4, 4.2L:, 2016 ATS-V, 2014 CTS-V Wagon, 2018 Audi A7
106 Posts
Like you I also live in FLA. I just bought an 04 last week, a 4x4 stripper with the 4.2. Mine's in great shape, 85k on the clock. Going to change all fluids. Cleaned the interior, need to wax the exterior and do some debadging. It needs shocks/struts. Should be a good truck. Tons of info here. Spent last weekend reading tons of threads. Lots of great info here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to the salvage yards in WPB a week ago. Didn't find much in the one yard, but on the way out of the second one I found an Envoy with fairly pristine turn signal mirrors. Those came home with me. Read on these forums that it was basically a plug-and-play installation, and that was true. After removal and a good cleaning of the lenses (they had what looked like dried algae in them) they fit right in and worked just fine after installing them. Fixed the broken armrest as well.

Saw a rear entertainment center but didn't pull it. I need to figure out how it'd work with an aftermarket head unit. Since there's a few other black TBs there, I may try to find one with fog lights and pull the front bumper cover off it. Also saw one with tow hooks, those might prove useful too.

Replaced the tensioner, idle pulley and belt, as well as the blower motor and the resistor. Also replaced that blend door actuator - initially it did nothing but ran the calibration on it and it now works as it should.

This Trailblazer is already miles ahead of the Dakota in terms of comfort and features. I'm enjoying driving it well beyond even the Pontiac van (which anyone who knows me, knows I'm not rational when it comes to Pontiacs!). Still have to track down that squeal - hopefully it's the water pump and not the AC compressor.

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer LS 4x4, 4.2L:, 2016 ATS-V, 2014 CTS-V Wagon, 2018 Audi A7
106 Posts
Damn, they have lowly TB's in WPB junkyards? Oh, yeah, those are in the back of the yard. The Bentleys and Jags are up front, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saw about ten total between TBs and Envoys in both of the yards I went to. Unfortunately I'm not going to have time in the next several weeks - but maybe toward the end of the month. Well, if you need some Bentley parts, I can look - just let me know! 😆😆😆

Thinking the squeal is coming from the water pump bearings...as far as I can tell it's centered in the engine. With just under 200k I'm not too worried about replacing things just "because" - who knows how long they've been on the TB?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts